The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why do I window shop? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590168)

Social Exodus 08-18-2020 09:13 PM

Why do I window shop?

I'm perfectly happy with he guitars, amps and effects I have yet in fits of boredom, I can spend far too much time window shopping for new gear I'll never actually buy.

Can anyone adequately explain this phenomena?

Angiodan 08-18-2020 09:17 PM

GAS, unexplainable and unrelenting
Sorry ,that is the way of things
Give up and enjoy!
Dan

Cool555 08-18-2020 09:35 PM

Not to miss out on an extremely good deal. To be well-versed in the prices of used guitars. Just admiring nice guitars for sale. :)

Lillis 08-18-2020 09:37 PM

Adequately explain?......no

Andromeda 08-18-2020 09:44 PM

I love acoustic guitars and window shopping is fun even if I’m not in the market to buy one.

rllink 08-18-2020 10:11 PM

It is your hunter gatherer instinct. It is in the genes. More is better, even though you can moderate it, it is still there.

jklotz 08-18-2020 11:23 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at the classifieds here and on other forums with absolutely no intention or need to buy another guitar. Luckily enough, most times I didn't. However, had I acted on those impulses every time I thought "man, I'd sure like to have that", I'd be bankrupt and swimming up to my neck in guitar cases about now.

The OP's question is why do we do this, correct? I try to justify it to myself by saying I just want to keep up with the market. Truth be known, I guess I find some sort of satisfaction in spending the GNP of a small country, in my mind of course, on luxury items I can neither afford or need. Strange, isn't it?

David Rance 08-18-2020 11:35 PM

It's a hobby. Guitars are beautiful. You need to know whats's appearing in an ever more active marketplace. A new guitar every so often is a great way to maintain the momentum of your musical growth.

Cool555 08-18-2020 11:44 PM

Oh Yes! Another reason to window shop and then buy a guitar!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b12df98362.jpg

Tico 08-18-2020 11:58 PM

I don't know why you window shop.

Perhaps there are some broken windows at your house??? :roll:

llew 08-19-2020 05:43 AM

I spent a lot of time online yesterday doing just that. I'm somewhat obsessed with finding an OM since I foolishly sold my OM-28VTS. And it'll either pass or I'll make a purchase...who knows?

rmp 08-19-2020 06:10 AM

why fight it? I'll just leave that there...

The Bard Rocks 08-19-2020 06:12 AM

You answered your own question - boredom.

But it is a good thing to be aware of what is out there, prices, how others like them, what's new, etc. But many of us let this "good thing" transition into desire, which of course costs money. I regard myself as a sensible person, cautious with money and all - and have more than once allowed myself to cross over from gathering information to creating desire. It's an easy trap.

llew 08-19-2020 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks (Post 6473109)
You answered your own question - boredom.

But it is a good thing to be aware of what is out there, prices, how others like them, whats new, etc. But many of us let this "good thing" transition into desire, which of course costs money. I regard myself as a sensible person, cautious with money and all - and have more than once allowed myself to cross over from gathering information to creating desire. It's an easy trap.

^^^Well said!^^^

UncleJesse 08-19-2020 06:18 AM

I know what you mean. Just yesterday I found a brand new Eastman E10SS/v on the market for $450 below MAP and a full $300 below the lowest price I've seen one sell for. I am not in the market for a slope and don't really need it at this moment and I had to fight myself not to buy it. I instead passed it on over at the Eastman forum and let a forum member grab it.