The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   St.Vincent with a no-frills single Waterloo (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498351)

scriv58 02-02-2018 11:11 AM

Wonder how many of these armchair critics have stones enough to post a three minute recording that is worthy of more than thirty seconds listening time?

TBman 02-02-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Texas (Post 5625134)
Yet Annie Clark outsells all of them combined. You're obviously onto something :lol:

Although I do like all of those guys as well.

Vocals always outsells instrumentals (Except for Classical Gas many moons ago) I was just joking around though. People like what they like, it doesn't matter. Life is too short.

chrislongAgain 02-02-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scriv58 (Post 5625328)
Wonder how many of these armchair critics have stones enough to post a three minute recording that is worthy of more than thirty seconds listening time?

i'm one of the critics. i never claimed that i could do better. she knows how to play a guitar. i just loathe her voice, her style, her music, and her presentation. so what? if you enjoy her, all the power to you! enjoy! me, i'll listen to others.

rob2966 02-02-2018 12:38 PM

I actually like a lot of her stuff and find her to be quite original (which is a tough thing to do these days). She definitely marries visual art and music in interesting ways and like all things artistic, different people will like different things.

She definitely isn't a "guitar god" in any traditional sense (and I'm not sure I consider her one in any sense) however she also has an interesting and unique approach to her playing, again, also difficult to do these days. Also, as has been said, anyone popular that identifies to the public playing guitar is a good thing.

I have also played her signature EBMM guitar and it is really cool. Again (broken record), a unique design that is very well thought out and more deserving than other "signature" guitars in my opinion.

Later
Rob

s2y 02-02-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scriv58 (Post 5625328)

If someone can't stand Andy McKee or other Candy Rat artists, this forum will high five you.

Why is she under protected status? I don't hate her as an artist. I see her as 1/3rd music, 1/3rd fashion, and 1/3rd politics, provided I mathed right. Less is more, it sounds better on vinyl, and all sort of other stuff.

I have posted the occasional clip here. If someone really likes St. Vincent, I'd imagine my recordings wouldn't be worth more than 5 seconds to them.

ZigZuege 03-25-2019 02:48 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread - anyone know the pickup she uses in that guitar?

martyloo 03-25-2019 05:54 PM

Great sound out of that little box. I'd like to know as well!

Very natural, no piezo skank at all.

Triumph1050 03-25-2019 06:05 PM

She's...OK. Different strokes for different folks. I don't understand a thing about Jack White and his music. But its fine... I respect anybody that can get up and play and sing in front of others.

Willie_D 03-25-2019 06:22 PM

I'm fiddy and I think she's great.

I do have trouble thinking of an instrument with a $2400 MSRP as "no frills."

ZigZuege 03-25-2019 06:24 PM

I respect the heck out of her musical ability and artistic drive. I love every variety of music, but her songs are a bit hit or miss for me as well.

On the sound side, a flip switched for me and I am in love with the Waterloo sound. For my ears that pickup sounds very natural in every video I've seen her play that guitar and would love to know what she's using but haven't been able to dig up anything.

drplayer 03-25-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Texas (Post 5625134)
Yet Annie Clark outsells all of them combined. You're obviously onto something :lol:

Although I do like all of those guys as well.

Yeah, and Britney Spears outsells Annie Clark and all the others together. So much for what record sales have to do with artistry...

big jilm 03-25-2019 07:47 PM

I’ve never listened to her before - I listened to the first song, and thought it was great. I’ll listen to the rest when I have some time.

I’d like to know what pickup is in that guitar, too - nice sound.

vates 03-26-2019 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZigZuege (Post 6017947)
Sorry to revive an old thread - anyone know the pickup she uses in that guitar?

AFAIK factory-installed is LR Baggs Active Element

brad2001 03-26-2019 03:57 AM

There's no accounting for taste. What floats one's boat may not lift another's. She's not for me.

The Kid! 03-26-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog Shape Cloud (Post 5624824)
I'm fond of this performance, which might be more to the taste of some of the folks here

I can dig the first video, but I like this video better. I'm 44 if that matters to anybody. I mean, it doesn't to me, but it might make or break somebody's argument, so I'm either sorry, or... you're welcome!