The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Went to GC. Tried a few guitars. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522091)

volvo765ti 09-16-2018 12:22 PM

Went to GC. Tried a few guitars.

Went in and played with an FG830. Then I picked up a Seagull S6 and was over the Yamaha in nearly an instant. Wow, what a nice guitar, and that wider nut makes all the difference in the world for my fat fingertips.

Then I picked up a Mitchell 12 string. It had the widest nut I've ever experienced on a guitar. It was "love at first 2nd-fret A chord" and the tone wasn't bad at all. I'm no fan of built in electronics, but it has a tuner on it, so it gets a pass.

Might've found my next couple guitars.

L20A 09-16-2018 01:39 PM

Be sure to give the Washburn guitars a try.
They are great guitars at very reasonable prices.

vindibona1 09-16-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L20A (Post 5839227)
Be sure to give the Washburn guitars a try.
They are great guitars at very reasonable prices.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ That ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Wadcutter 09-16-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo765ti (Post 5839168)
Went in and played with an FG830. Then I picked up a Seagull S6 and was over the Yamaha in nearly an instant. Wow, what a nice guitar, and that wider nut makes all the difference in the world for my fat fingertips.

Then I picked up a Mitchell 12 string. It had the widest nut I've ever experienced on a guitar. It was "love at first 2nd-fret A chord" and the tone wasn't bad at all. I'm no fan of built in electronics, but it has a tuner on it, so it gets a pass.

Might've found my next couple guitars.

I’ve no axe to grind either way on built in electronics, but was just curious as to why you aren’t big on them. Never had a guitar with one myself, always seemed to buy guitars without them and then had aftermarket electronics installed. Have had K&K Pure Westerns installed in my HD-28 and several others for many years and have never had a lick of trouble with them.

McCawber 09-16-2018 08:31 PM

I don't have built in electronics on any of my 6 strings - it's against my religion :D. I couldn't help it with my Taylor 12, but my son probably plays it more than I do and I still don't plug in . . . .

rwmct 09-16-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 5839312)
I’ve no axe to grind either way on built in electronics, but was just curious as to why you aren’t big on them.

I don't know why he is not big on them, but I know why I am not big on them. I have no use for one. So why would I want it on my guitar? I am far from convinced that they do not affect the tone. Particularly those with controls mounted to the soundboard. And some others have controls mounted in holes cut into the guitar. I don't want holes cut into my guitars.

volvo765ti 09-17-2018 05:02 PM

1. I hate the sound of piezo pickups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwmct (Post 5839583)
I don't know why he is not big on them, but I know why I am not big on them. I have no use for one. So why would I want it on my guitar? I am far from convinced that they do not affect the tone. Particularly those with controls mounted to the soundboard. And some others have controls mounted in holes cut into the guitar. I don't want holes cut into my guitars.

What he ^^^ said.

MikeBmusic 09-18-2018 06:48 AM

Oh gawd, we're starting this one again? :rolleyes:

AmericanEagle 09-18-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo765ti (Post 5839168)
Went in and played with an FG830.

I recently bought a used Yamaha FG800 in a nice sandburst finish from GuitarCenter. I restrung it, and changed the plastic bridge pins to dyed bone with abalone inserts, from Bob Colosi. The guitar looks sounds and plays great.

David Eastwood 09-18-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 5840506)
Oh gawd, we're starting this one again? :rolleyes:

Well, it has been at least a month...

boneuphtoner 09-18-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 5839298)
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ That ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

I completely agree! Since I came to the guitar world from brass playing, I was very familiar with Yamaha's excellent brasses, so when I saw recommendations for Yamaha guitars, my FG800 was a great place to start and it has been great. But the Washburns seem to be just as good, and if anything there appear to be more options. I love my Yamaha and my Washburn

Polishguitar623 09-18-2018 11:47 AM

I went to a local GC this weekend to kill time and see if there were any deals on strings. Of course, I stopped in the acoustic room and was just floored by the level of consistency with regards to guitars in all price ranges having action that a slide player would say was too high - had to be something wrong with the room because every guitar I picked up, I set right back down. I could of driven a matchbox car under the strings. Kind of a "huh" experience. Glad there are local shop in my town.

volvo765ti 09-18-2018 01:40 PM

I'll definitely take a look at the Washburn guitars.

Not starting anything. He asked, I answered. :)

JBCROTTY 09-18-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polishguitar623 (Post 5840767)
I went to a local GC this weekend to kill time and see if there were any deals on strings. Of course, I stopped in the acoustic room and was just floored by the level of consistency with regards to guitars in all price ranges having action that a slide player would say was too high - had to be something wrong with the room because every guitar I picked up, I set right back down. I could of driven a matchbox car under the strings. Kind of a "huh" experience. Glad there are local shop in my town.

...and there is the seemingly obligatory negative GC comment that we cannot seem to avoid in any thread that even mentions GC. It seems almost a pathological inability to avoid taking shots at GC, even when, once again, the thread really has nothing to do with GC.

Guildman 09-18-2018 02:42 PM

I played a Washburn or two I'd say a year ago and while I don't recall specifics I do remember they where pleasant enough to consider down the road and thought a bargain in the price range. Need to go play again.