The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Easiest John Mayer songs to learn? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311610)

limache 09-24-2013 10:58 PM

Easiest John Mayer songs to learn?

Hey I really like John Mayer's songs and would love to learn them. I am a pretty new as I've only been playing for about 2 months and just learning basic chords, strumming etc.

I searched tutorials for "no such thing", "neon", "body is a wonderland" but I realized they are a bit more difficult than I thought. I really like those songs but does anyone have suggestions for his songs that are more at a beginner level (or are all his songs really advanced?) Oh and would also love to hear any other artists that are similar to him that would be cool to listen to :).

CyberFerret 09-24-2013 11:04 PM

Did you want to play and sing as well, or just play instrumental versions of his songs?

Mayer's songs ARE more difficult than you initially expect. I swear the guy has two brains, the way he plays one melodic line and sings a totally different melodic line... I cannot do it at all.

I'd suggested persevering with 'Neon' etc. If anything, you will learn some interesting rhythmic and timing techniques which will serve you well in other songs.

One of my favourite JM clips... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdHfzrRE0Kc

itscowfun 09-24-2013 11:26 PM

i play a lot of john mayer and have probably played them all at some point. i would steer you toward songs like my stupid mouth, covered in rain, tracing. just keep practicing and dont get discouraged, most of his songs are very tough.

look for songs with easier chords.

i remember a fun milestone for me was executing 'in your atmosphere' perfectly and in it's entirety. still my favorite mayer song to perform!

best of luck!

Mouthy1 09-24-2013 11:57 PM

Shadow Days is pretty easy but no others song is easy as I sounds...I had no idea until I bought the "easy strum and sing" book! Easy? Nope!

redpoint 09-25-2013 12:05 AM

One of the reasons I picked up a guitar was because I really wanted to play some of those Mayer songs, but I have to say it took me quite some time to really get a few of them down (and I'm still learning them).

Of the ones I've tried, I think Daughters might be the "easiest".

Waiting on the World to Change is not too bad if you simplify some of the parts. You don't have to play all the riffs he does and it'll give you an intro to the Hendrix / R&B style.

No Such Thing is a lot of chord shapes, but it's mostly strumming, so it's not too bad either.

acws 09-25-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint (Post 3635625)
One of the reasons I picked up a guitar was because I really wanted to play some of those Mayer songs, but I have to say it took me quite some time to really get a few of them down (and I'm still learning them).

Of the ones I've tried, I think Daughters might be the "easiest".

Waiting on the World to Change is not too bad if you simplify some of the parts. You don't have to play all the riffs he does and it'll give you an intro to the Hendrix / R&B style.

No Such Thing is a lot of chord shapes, but it's mostly strumming, so it's not too bad either.

I agree with Daughters, it's the only john Mayer song that I know so far.. The bridge section might not be too easy but the verse and chorus are not too hard once u re used to them.. And they sound pretty cool I thought, with little use of beginner lower position chords.. I got the tabs from an a copy of acoustic guitar magazine..

Scotch 09-25-2013 03:24 AM

Free falling is easy.

GibbyPrague 09-25-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotch (Post 3635667)
Free falling is easy.

Yeah, thats the one I foucused on. The intro is a bit tricky but once you get that down then its plain sailing.

Bobele 09-25-2013 03:42 AM

Agree with Daughters being not too complicated but good set of chords for jamming as well, another one is Age of Worry- a bit tricky finger picking but once you got it down its a fairly simple tune.

topographic 09-25-2013 04:09 AM

"3 x 5". You have to capo on the 8th fret if you want to mimic the record, but hey.....It's a great chord progression to sing along with.

I think it's one of his Top 5 songs.

dgonz 09-25-2013 11:00 AM

I would mention Daughters like most others. Body is a Wonderland is pretty straight forward. I'm not a big fan of his, but he's a pretty solid guitar player, better than some rockers might give him credit for.

conacher 09-25-2013 11:07 AM

Aside from just his early stuff, the following songs I've found to be fairly simple for a beginner.

Paradise Valley
- Waiting On The Day
- On The Way Home

Born and Raised
- Queen of California (a little tricky at first)
- Shadow Days
- A Face To Call Home

Battle Studies
- Who Says

Continuum
-In Repair (acoustic version/village sessions)
-Im Gonna Find Another You (acoustic version/village sessions)

Legolas1971 09-25-2013 11:30 AM

His songs are deceptively simple. I remember learning "Stop this train" and thinking...really!?!?!?!?!?!? His ability to stretch and still play in the pocket
is impressive. I'm not a big fan of his electric gtr lead playing (except on Belief; in which he kills it) but his finger picking, chord voicings and vocal melodies are all his own.

Glennwillow 09-25-2013 01:55 PM

Even though I like listening to John Mayer's music (and I'm 65) I have never made any effort to learn to play John Mayer's songs until I heard "Walt Grace's Submarine Ride" recently. I figured it out by ear from the CD I bought, but it's not too hard. Cool song... I play the song using a Travis pick.

- Glenn

stevejazzx 09-25-2013 04:36 PM

I learned Neon once and it **** near broke my hand
Stop this train is doable and also my favorite song of his
I made a complete fingerstyle arrangement of it once - its on my youtube if anyone's interested

Steve