The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Journey's K&K clone for $29.99 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545698)

dogdog49 05-01-2019 03:47 PM

Journey's K&K clone for $29.99

Just got an email form Journey about this. Wow - seems like a truly great deal.... Links below to pickup and review. The review is pretty over the top and sounds more like an ad than an actual review, but the pickup sounds good.

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...guitar-pickup/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zhZAIJhm7Rg

Rudy4 05-01-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogdog49 (Post 6051598)
Just got an email form Journey about this. Wow - seems like a truly great deal.... Links below to pickup and review. The review is pretty over the top and sounds more like an ad than an actual review, but the pickup sounds good.

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...guitar-pickup/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zhZAIJhm7Rg

I'd be concerned about any triple transducer installation that recommends between 1-2, 3-4, and 4-5.

gfirob 05-01-2019 04:04 PM

Well, I bought one of those $10 K&K clones on Amazon and I threw it away and got a real K&K after about a month with it and that was using a Tonedexter to try to bring it up to a usable sound. It was comparatively harsh and the signal was much weaker than the K&K. I don't know about Journey's version, but life has taught me that you get what you pay for (not that I always listen to that advice, sadly)...

jonfields45 05-02-2019 06:39 AM

Given the price of the components (even buying in the US <$5) and Asian assembly the $29 price point is achievable and profitable. But they need to have chosen the piezo elements well.

K&K is the reference and I think JJB nailed a not identical but nice sounding alternative. That conclusion is not universal on the AGF and the cyanoacrylate glue required to try out brand-X seems a strong barrier to trying a cheaper PUP in an expensive guitar.

The next time someone asks me to install a pickup in their plywood beater I'll give Journey a try.

Methos1979 05-02-2019 06:48 AM

Not surprised to finally see this. I will say that I've owned two Journey OF660 CF guitars with this pickup system in it and it sounded every bit as good - if not better - than the K&K's which I have installed in all my guitars the last several years!

JLS 05-04-2019 01:57 PM

Concern?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 6051608)
I'd be concerned about any triple transducer installation that recommends between 1-2, 3-4, and 4-5.

Why is that?

leew3 05-04-2019 06:49 PM

it never ceases to amaze me that some of us are willing to spend thousands on guitars, then spend hours searching for a way to save $100 on a pickup. YMMV, just my opinion, subjective perspective, etc.

Rudy4 05-04-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS (Post 6054053)
Why is that?

Because K&K installation is basically between pairs 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6. From literally years of playing with piezo materials that makes the most sense to me if the transducers themselves don't have off-coloration of the tone. Getting the low string transducer away from the 6th string indicates to me that the materials or encapsulation method needs a little "help" to improve the tonal response.

I have nothing against anyone who wants a $29 transducer setup, though.

SpruceTop 05-04-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leew3 (Post 6054280)
it never ceases to amaze me that some of us are willing to spend thousands on guitars, then spend hours searching for a way to save $100 on a pickup. YMMV, just my opinion, subjective perspective, etc.

You're Spot On, Bro!

Willie_D 05-11-2019 07:32 PM

Well, I just ordered one to put in my little Fender. I'll be happy to demo once it's here and I can install it.

JLS 05-12-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 6054317)
Because K&K installation is basically between pairs 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6. From literally years of playing with piezo materials that makes the most sense to me if the transducers themselves don't have off-coloration of the tone. Getting the low string transducer away from the 6th string indicates to me that the materials or encapsulation method needs a little "help" to improve the tonal response.

I have nothing against anyone who wants a $29 transducer setup, though.

Sorry, I misread.

DownUpDave 05-13-2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 6051990)
Not surprised to finally see this. I will say that I've owned two Journey OF660 CF guitars with this pickup system in it and it sounded every bit as good - if not better - than the K&K's which I have installed in all my guitars the last several years!

I went down the You Tube rabbit hole on the Journey site, lots of recent plugged in performances from NAMM. I then landed on your Journey OF660 review and the plugged in sound was very good. Actually every video I heard was good. You have a lot of experience with amplified sound and from everything I have heard I agree with you.

Methos1979 05-13-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownUpDave (Post 6060510)
I went down the You Tube rabbit hole on the Journey site, lots of recent plugged in performances from NAMM. I then landed on your Journey OF660 review and the plugged in sound was very good. Actually every video I heard was good. You have a lot of experience with amplified sound and from everything I have heard I agree with you.

Thanks. I have to admit, I was quite shocked how great it sounded when I first plugged in the OF660. Not just because the of their K&K clone but just the size of the guitar body itself. I had one of their wood versions, (I think the OF420 maybe?) and it sounded pretty awful plugged in. And unplugged, for that matter.

DownUpDave 05-13-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 6060582)
Thanks. I have to admit, I was quite shocked how great it sounded when I first plugged in the OF660. Not just because the of their K&K clone but just the size of the guitar body itself. I had one of their wood versions, (I think the OF420 maybe?) and it sounded pretty awful plugged in. And unplugged, for that matter.

Interesting you say the OF420 sounded aweful plugged and unplugged. I wonder if it had the same pick up as the carbon fibre OF660. BUT aweful unplugged would equal aweful plugged in so that makes sense.

RedJoker 05-13-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leew3 (Post 6054280)

I understand your point but I'm guilty of that. I'm not willing to spend thousands on guitars. So yeah, saving $100 is a big deal. Especially since I'm just playing open mics and will never go 'pro.' As long as it sounds reasonable, I'll happily play the 'value' game for something that I'll rarely use.

I look forward to hearing some of these experiments!