The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Emerald shipping video June 19 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584698)

Earl49 06-21-2020 07:56 AM

Emerald shipping video June 19

I saw this video and watched it. The sound was really low level, almost inaudible. It was amusing what the automated closed captioning did sometimes with Alistair's Irish accent. As usual there were a number of really nice guitars going out.... even a couple of different pairs going to the same buyers. Now THAT is a NGD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWxQZ3YnhKY

David Eastwood 06-21-2020 08:58 AM

Yes, the sound was a bit ‘off’ this week, wasn’t it?

I love the vibrant red finish X10 about half way through. There’s one for those who think Emeralds are a bit subdued in real life.

Earl49 06-21-2020 10:38 AM

I had the impression that they were using the on-camera microphone this week. Alistair usually wears a wireless lavalier mic clipped to his t-shirt, and that works very well.

The silver CF weave under the transparent color is very nice. It makes the color really "pop" compared to the back CF weave in most Emeralds. I have briefly pondered asking about adding the silver weave to my pending custom build. But I like my green X20's so much now. Maybe one day later this summer I will get mentioned in a shipping video for my custom X20.

philjs 06-21-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 6416878)
Maybe one day later this summer I will get mentioned in a shipping video for my custom X20.

I'm hoping to see my X30 fan fret, ordered in early January, in a shipping video soon, too!

Phil

al_az 06-21-2020 03:55 PM

I just hope to see my custom x20 on the shipping video before Christmas. It was interesting in last weeks shipping video, Alistair alluded to the fact that last week had the highest # of orders in the company's history. I stack this up partly to the company just returning to full operation (although they were still taking orders during the shutdown) but mostly to the fact that everyone is now realizing there is not going to be any traveling for the foreseeable future. A new guitar is much cheaper than the yearly family vacation (at least mine anyway)

Earl49 06-22-2020 08:40 AM

Phil, my custom X20 was ordered in early February. It will get here when it gets here.... It's easy to be philosophical when you have a roomful of carbon fiber guitars. ;)

Good to hear they are getting lots of orders, regardless of the reason. Simon has commented to the effect that they are having trouble finding enough good people to keep up with demand. That is a good problem to have!

David Eastwood 06-22-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philjs (Post 6417096)
I'm hoping to see my X30 fan fret, ordered in early January, in a shipping video soon, too!

Phil

That sounds intriguing, Phil. What scale lengths did you go for? Any other notable options?

philjs 06-22-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatswodo (Post 6417616)
That sounds intriguing, Phil. What scale lengths did you go for? Any other notable options?

Their "standard" 25.5" to 27" that they use for the 7-stringers. Don't want that 7th string but my intent is to use it as a semi-baritone, likely tuned to B or Bb with "DADGAD" intervals. Other than the scale it's very plain jane (aka cheap)...amber, no veneer (adding veneer adds about $1K CAN to the cost), no pickup and gigbag only.

Ordered it January 9th and have been waiting, somewhat (ha!) patiently (less so when I see them going out to everyone else!), to check it out 'cause I'm also thinking seriously of an X20 with a "DADGAD" fan, thinking 25" to 25.75" (or maybe 26")...'twould be a good Xmas present for meself!

Phil

David Eastwood 06-22-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philjs (Post 6417674)
Their "standard" 25.5" to 27" that they use for the 7-stringers. Don't want that 7th string but my intent is to use it as a semi-baritone, likely tuned to B or Bb with "DADGAD" intervals. Other than the scale it's very plain jane (aka cheap)...amber, no veneer (adding veneer adds about $1K CAN to the cost), no pickup and gigbag only.

I think you'll be very happy with it, in that case. The low B is pretty muscular on my X20-7 at that scale length - I can only dream of what it would sound like on the X30 body.

But, I would have to quibble with your choice of words - there's nothing plain jane about a pure CF Emerald, and certainly nothing cheap about it ;)

I prefer 'classic' and 'less expensive' myself :)

Quote:

Ordered it January 9th and have been waiting, somewhat (ha!) patiently (less so when I see them going out to everyone else!), to check it out 'cause I'm also thinking seriously of an X20 with a "DADGAD" fan, thinking 25" to 25.75" (or maybe 26")...'twould be a good Xmas present for meself!

Phil
Now you're giving me ideas... oh dear...

RP 06-22-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_az (Post 6417132)
...It was interesting in last weeks shipping video, Alistair alluded to the fact that last week had the highest # of orders in the company's history. I stack this up partly to the company just returning to full operation (although they were still taking orders during the shutdown) but mostly to the fact that everyone is now realizing there is not going to be any traveling for the foreseeable future. A new guitar is much cheaper than the yearly family vacation (at least mine anyway)

I think a lot of online guitar browsing and ordering went on during the stay-at-home time. FWIW I ordered my slightly custom (no electronics, Black Limba veneer and satin finish) X30 in January and got it three weeks ago. If they continue to ship via UPS, that really speeds up the process. Mine went from Ireland to my front door in seven days....

Earl49 06-22-2020 01:48 PM

Back in the good old (pre-virus) days, shipping via AnPost and USPS typically took 7-8 days to most US addresses, unless you encountered the holiday rush. My X30 ordered from stock in early December 2019 still only took seven days door to door. The current delay comes mostly backups at US Customs. For existing orders, Emerald has really stepped up and absorbed the considerable extra cost of using UPS and their side channel through Customs to reduce delivery delays. At some point I would expect that normal shipping will go back to parcel post again. You might be able to opt for UPS and pay the difference.

RP 06-22-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 6417843)
Back in the good old (pre-virus) days, shipping via AnPost and USPS typically took 7-8 days to most US addresses, unless you encountered the holiday rush. My X30 ordered from stock in early December 2019 still only took seven days door to door. The current delay comes mostly backups at US Customs. For existing orders, Emerald has really stepped up and absorbed the considerable extra cost of using UPS and their side channel through Customs to reduce delivery delays. At some point I would expect that normal shipping will go back to parcel post again. You might be able to opt for UPS and pay the difference.

My last Emerald prior to the X30 spent three weeks in US Customs and I was then hit with a $238 bill for "Customs Fees." I'd pay the extra for UPS any day depending on the cost.

Earl49 06-22-2020 02:33 PM

I know you got burned, RP. And there are also a couple of other stories here about surprise Customs fees or "brokerage fees" charged by the shipper. Those should have been overturned as mistakes upon appeal to US Customs, but we never got any follow-up. But that is the exception, not the norm. I was trying to put the more typical case out there for readers. I have five Emeralds with a final more pending, and was never hit by any "gotchas". Dang! Maybe I just jinxed my upcoming transaction! :eek:

And I have the impression that the UPS upcharge is actually more than $238.....

Danz567 06-22-2020 03:21 PM

When my X20 arrived in Canada, I got hit with PST and GST (the 2 sales taxes) for just over $400. That was coming through the postal system. I believe that is the normal here, however sometimes things go through without that charge. If it would have come via UPS, I’m sure it would have been higher with the brokerage fees that they charge added in.
Dan

futboljim 06-22-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 6416717)
I saw this video and watched it. The sound was really low level, almost inaudible. It was amusing what the automated closed captioning did sometimes with Alistair's Irish accent. As usual there were a number of really nice guitars going out.... even a couple of different pairs going to the same buyers. Now THAT is a NGD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWxQZ3YnhKY

Yeah, a double NGD would be amazing.

Really looked at the X10s with interest... but that is likely to come to nothing. Pretty sure I am done for the foreseeable future.