The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sunbeams on my Southern Jumbo (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625744)

Perchman 09-11-2021 08:32 AM

Sunbeams on my Southern Jumbo

The D’Addarios that came on my new SJ finally died. I read numerous threads about strings for a J45, which this basically is. I had Martin Retros, Mangan PB’s and DR Sunbeams. After reading enough, I put the Sunbeams on and WOW!! Super warm, not zingy in the slightest. They sound exactly like I want this guitar to sound. I totally understand the love for these strings on the J45.

mattwood 09-12-2021 06:21 PM

Next time you change strings give the DR Rares a shot. I feel they are warmer than the Sunbeams and sound equally good but in a different way. Both are some of my favorites for uncoated strings. I have never been real impressed with D'Addarios and the Sunbeams and Rares are a step above IMO.

Rosewood99 09-12-2021 07:11 PM

I have Sunbeam medium lights on my Lowden guitar.

Lillis 09-12-2021 07:27 PM

Sunbeams going back on my Larrivee tomorrow. Have GHS bright bronze on it now and they’re ok but the DR’s really shine on it.

frankmcr 09-13-2021 11:14 AM

Sunbeams

On my jumbo

Make me happy . . .

Graylocks 09-13-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcr (Post 6808407)
Sunbeams

On my jumbo

Make me happy . . .

Sunbeams

On my Collings

Can make me cry...

ruger9 09-13-2021 06:54 PM

Love Sunbeams, on any guitar. They are a little warm, after break-in, on my cedar-topped Walden, but they are my favorite string, for many years now. Love the lower tension too, but I'm a bender, so...

Perchman 09-14-2021 04:59 AM

I’ve only been able to do some couch strumming thus far since I put them on, but my initial impression has not changed one bit. Tonight I’ll really strum them during a more proper rehearsal. Funny, I’ve read even more reviews since Friday and inevitably many comparisons to the Rares. The differences in opinions are all over the map!! The guy that did the review on the Maury’s website thought the Rares sounded thin. Many say they are the deeper of the 2, with Sunbeams being “bright” and “lively”. So many variables in the mix when people post opinions, the least of which is definitely not their own ears and preferences!!!!

Deliberate1 09-14-2021 05:59 AM

Sunbeams have been my go-to since I discovered them - on everything from a Larrivee 000, FB 000, Huss and Dalton 000, Bourgeois Slope D, and, closest to yours, a Fairbanks SJ. Now, I confess that I did not kiss a lot of frogs before discovering their charms - nor since. They just seem to work well and feel good on anything. Enjoy them on yours.
David

ruger9 09-14-2021 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perchman (Post 6808961)
I’ve only been able to do some couch strumming thus far since I put them on, but my initial impression has not changed one bit. Tonight I’ll really strum them during a more proper rehearsal. Funny, I’ve read even more reviews since Friday and inevitably many comparisons to the Rares. The differences in opinions are all over the map!! The guy that did the review on the Maury’s website thought the Rares sounded thin. Many say they are the deeper of the 2, with Sunbeams being “bright” and “lively”. So many variables in the mix when people post opinions, the least of which is definitely not their own ears and preferences!!!!

Agreed. Only way to know is to try them yourself. I will say, when I compared the Sunbeams to the Rares (years ago), I also thought they sounded... "less robust" than the Sunbeams. Perhaps not "brighter", but maybe they have less low end, or something? I just remember it was an easy/immediate choice, I liked the Sunbeams much better than the Rares. And I like warm things- I generally run from most things called "bright". Hmm... a thought... since I find the Sunbeams a little dark on my NOW-broken-in Walden, maybe I should try the Rares on that guitar again...hmm...

brad4d8 09-14-2021 07:48 AM

A while ago I put Sunbeams on my Pawless dread, and found them possible the best sounding strings I've used. I will be putting them on other guitars as I change strings. I've recommended them to several friends who have been equally as impressed.

gmel555 09-14-2021 05:04 PM

I've found Sunbeams to sound good or great on most guitars I put them on. I think the round core adds some resonance/sustain that sounds like they "wake up" some guitars a bit. Remember- they're round core...don't cut off the ends until you tune to pitch.

dadio917 09-17-2021 12:05 AM

How are the Sunbeams for finger picking with bare fingers (skin on string)?

Perchman 09-17-2021 05:13 AM

I’m just a cowboy chord strummer. Sometimes I use the claw and finger pick the high E and B. I notice nothing different with Sunbeams.

Boozehound 09-17-2021 06:07 AM

Sunbeams have become my go-to for most guitars. Sometimes I'll use D'Addario on a guitar if I'm looking to brighten it up a bit. The Sunbeams can get a bit mellow when they settle in.