The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Brand new Greenfield lost in shipping, presumed destroyed (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619519)

Scallywag 06-28-2021 08:03 PM

Brand new Greenfield lost in shipping, presumed destroyed

I've been sitting on this news for a couple of weeks now, as has Michael. It's a pretty sad thing and I kinda just wanted to vent a bit a get it off of my chest to a community of people who understand how disappointing this is. After a considerable wait my new Greenfield left Michael's Montreal workshop on May 17th. It cleared customs and made its way to the shippers US clearance processing hub on May 19th. There... it remains? After a month of waiting we received news that the box is "damaged and deemed undeliverable." However no one can prove this, and Michael is still waiting for someone to produce photographic proof of damage that he can use in an insurance claim. Theft is possible, but not likely. We just don't yet know. Hell, it might turn up eventually. Who knows.

Michael, being the amazing human that he is, will begin a new guitar for me ASAP. I didn't ask for anything, he offered to do this on his own. The definition of honorable. He did everything right, and he might honestly be more upset about this than I am. We mourn together.

I'm lucky to have a few instruments being built for me, so I'm not looking for sympathy. The thing is, this Greenfield was my "if this business ever takes off..." guitar. My dream guitar. Something that's motivated me for many years. It's such a bummer. Like my new puppy died on its way home to me. Yes, I'll get another puppy, from the same breeder even, but I was so excited about that one.

I needed to tell someone that might care, so thanks for listening. I'm going to go pour a whisky now.

Matt

rule18 06-28-2021 08:10 PM

Wow, that's painful. Sorry to hear it. As bad as that is, it's equally good that he's building your new one. That is a thoughtful gentleman.

nacluth 06-28-2021 08:22 PM

Wow Matt. That is devastating news. There’s not much more disheartening than a third party messing things up. Best wishes for the first guitar, and if not that, then the second one. I’ll drink one for you.

iim7V7IM7 06-28-2021 08:26 PM

That truly sucks…:(. Hopefully you will get a wonderful replacement guitar later this year and Michael will resolve the issue of the guitar in purgatory with Heritage and be made whole.

Winkyplayer 06-28-2021 09:45 PM

So sorry for your loss.

Mike's great (legendary?) workshop video is one that continues to inspire me. I have no particular connection to Greenfield guitars other than this video, but I want a Greenfield so badly I can taste it!

jklotz 06-28-2021 11:06 PM

Wow! All that time, materials, effort, expertise. To be lost to who knows what? Tragic. It makes me sad.

I'm waiting on a guitar I sold to come back. It was damaged in shipping. I sent a guitar across the country only to have it returned, damaged, on my dime. I payed to have my nice guitar busted up. I hate to say it, but this seems to be happening more frequently as of recent. I wish there was a better alternative

MThomson 06-29-2021 01:03 AM

That's devastating Matt, I can just imagine how gutted you are right now. Hopefully Michael Greenfield's actions in the face of it will make the next one as special in time as the initial disappointment wears off.

Cincy2 06-29-2021 04:02 AM

I've commissioned (and luckily received) a guitar from Michael a few years ago so know the anticipation delivery can create. Sorry for your loss. It will be worth the wait! I have a build slot in 2023 for one of his concert classicals so I'm feeling the anticipation all over again.

Cincy

Deft Tungsman 06-29-2021 04:23 AM

First world problems, we all know.

Horrible news, all the same.

Like others, I send you and Michael both my deepest sympathy, man!

A miraculous, eleventh-hour plot twist is always possible, and that's what I hope for you.

Kerbie 06-29-2021 05:05 AM

Bummer, Matt, but I'm glad it sounds like it will work out OK.

Tannin 06-29-2021 05:36 AM

Awful situation. I'm sure that every person here sends his or her best wishes.

Adamski 06-29-2021 05:55 AM

Sad news...

That's awful. Thankfully this seems rare, but it does happen.

I have a nylon crossover being made by Steve Eden, it was delayed because the previous instrument was "lost in transit" so he needed to jump on and make another.

Damaged is heartbreaking, stolen would be equally bad as it's doubtful the thief would have any idea quite what they had.

rmp 06-29-2021 06:08 AM

Wow this is sad news..

Sorry to read this, not the way you wanted the story to end, but hopefully there's a silver lining and a day comes when you can put this in the rear view mirror.

Jamiejoon 06-29-2021 07:59 AM

I'm so sorry. That is tragic. A Greenfield, no less, and your present to yourself for all your hard work. I hope it appears in perfect condition.

H165 06-29-2021 08:06 AM

This is bad news, but it sounds like you have the resources to investigate on your own.

I have the impression (from this thread) that you know where it is, and the condition seems to be described by someone who has actually seen it.

I'm very curious - what prevents you or someone nearby from going to the last known location and asking to see the package?