The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mute for tuning in small gigs (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648852)

zurdillo 06-28-2022 04:13 AM

Mute for tuning in small gigs

Hello,

Maybe you can help me with my question.

I play guitar with a singer in small gigs (classical and acoustic guitar). I use an Acus 6 Oneforstrings amplifier, a condenser microphone (t.bone Ovid System CC100 for the guitar) and now we want to buy a small mixer and two self-powered speakers for increasing the power.

I need something to mute the guitar for tuning on stage. I was thinking of a mixer with a mute button (general or in the channel), but I think this greatly limits the possibilities of choosing the mixer.

Maybe a DI box for acoustic guitar could be the solution, but I would prefer to spend that money on the mixer quality.

I'm thinking about this and I can't find a solution that satisfies me. Do you have any advice or experience that can help me decide?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and greetings.

rmp 06-28-2022 04:41 AM

I think most mixers have a channel kill / mute button for each channel, and also a global "mute" switch that mutes all channels.

Driftless 06-28-2022 04:42 AM

I don't think I've ever used a mixer without a mute on each channel, and I wouldn't want to.

zeeway 06-28-2022 04:49 AM

I use a TC Electronics Polytune for such a purpose. It has a mute button, and to my ears is a very accurate tuner.

zurdillo 06-28-2022 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp (Post 7032055)
I think most mixers have a channel kill / mute button for each channel, and also a global "mute" switch that mutes all channels.

Thank you. Generally, small mixers do not usually have a mute button, I think.

zurdillo 06-28-2022 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeeway (Post 7032059)
I use a TC Electronics Polytune for such a purpose. It has a mute button, and to my ears is a very accurate tuner.

Thanks. The mute is activated when you press the button?

rmp 06-28-2022 04:55 AM

with at least the Behringer mixers I've had and used, they all had these mute switches.

zeeway 06-28-2022 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zurdillo (Post 7032063)
Thanks. The mute is activated when you press the button?

Yes. This is a mini-pedal with a large button on the front for muting. If setup on the floor, you can press the button with your foot, and tune your guitar (notes show on a small screen), then press button again to make it audible.

zurdillo 06-28-2022 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeeway (Post 7032066)
Yes. This is a mini-pedal with a large button on the front for muting. If setup on the floor, you can press the button with your foot, and tune your guitar (notes show on a small screen), then press button again to make it audible.

Very useful. Thank you!

zurdillo 06-28-2022 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp (Post 7032064)
with at least the Behringer mixers I've had and used, they all had these mute switches.

Yes. The Behringer X1204 USB it is an option.

Gchord 06-28-2022 05:18 AM

Peterson strobo stomp

meb 06-28-2022 05:25 AM

The mixers that seem most often recommended on this forum are A&H, Soundcraft Notepad,
and smaller Yamahas. None of these have a mute button.
I also found it puzzling that so few on agf cared about the mute feature.

Mandobart 06-28-2022 05:25 AM

Since the T-bone Ovid System CC100 is a mic, I'm not understanding where you'd use a DI. Are you planning on plugging the CC100 into a DI on its way to the mixer or powered speaker? This is not usually needed on a mic.

I use SBT's on all my gigging instruments so it's easy to plug my Korg tuner pedal into my RedEye's effects loop. Just about every tuner pedal I've seen mutes the output when tuning. Of course most tuner pedals I've seen use 1/4" phone cord connections vs XLR so you'd need an adapter to plug the CC100 into it.

There are simple in-line XLR mute switches available. Never having used one I don't know what to recommend. Here's just one example.

zurdillo 06-28-2022 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meb (Post 7032075)
The mixers that seem most often recommended on this forum are A&H, Soundcraft Notepad,
and smaller Yamahas. None of these have a mute button.
I also found it puzzling that so few on agf cared about the mute feature.

Yes, for me it is very important to mute the guitar while I tune.

rmp 06-28-2022 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gchord (Post 7032073)
Peterson strobo stomp

well... he's mic'ing his guitar, ... so ..