The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Best Acoustics For The Money…So Says This Guy (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626884)

Wadcutter 09-24-2021 08:49 AM

Best Acoustics For The Money…So Says This Guy

Interesting link here on what one guy thinks are the best acoustic guitars for the money. (Happy to see my HD28 there in the top tier btw.) What do you think of his assessment? https://guitarindemand.com/best-acoustic-guitar/

llew 09-24-2021 08:58 AM

Well...he entitled to his opinion. I agree with some and not with others. No one can tell anyone else what guitar is best for them. I think these kinds of "reviews" can hurt and much as they can help if you're new to acoustic guitars and don't have a clue about what you'd like. Better to trust a "mom & pop" brick and mortar store if you can still find one? But I suppose it could at least give that new person some guidance that they couldn't otherwise find perhaps?

s2y 09-24-2021 09:21 AM

"Small preamp" "no cutaway" "needs a setup"

I'll give him an A for effort. Strikes me as intermediate and/or a guy who simply doesn't spend much time on acoustic guitar.

Jim Comeaux 09-24-2021 09:30 AM

Ho-hum, another compendium of guitars of various prices and their accompanying factory specs.

Peter Z 09-24-2021 09:35 AM

A D-28 comes without a case? Not here.

An A3M weights 6.8 pounds? I never played one, but that would be heavy. Maybe with the packing?

Bob from Brooklyn 09-24-2021 09:40 AM

Another list and conversation piece. Nothing more.

gr81dorn 09-24-2021 10:10 AM

Terrifically bad list and omits almost everything I would suggest to people at those price points. I think the Martin 15 series and probably the Taylor 100 series are the only things I agree with on the whole list.

Also, in what world does the D-28 not come with a case?

Also, literally nothing on the list but stuff you can get at Guitar Center, so kinda missed a huge chunk of the world.

Glennwillow 09-24-2021 10:24 AM

I think an article like this is useful for beginners who need a starting place. I notice that he doesn't account for guitar sizes -- dread vs OM, for example -- and who can or should consider larger or smaller body guitars.

I'm always surprised at how much I dislike the look of a dreadnought body with a cutaway. They always look wrong to me.

- Glenn

gr81dorn 09-24-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6817146)
I notice that he doesn't account for guitar sizes -- dread vs OM, for example -- and who can or should consider larger or smaller body guitars.
- Glenn

If you read to the bottom, he covers a bunch of stuff like sizes and wood types...

warfrat73 09-24-2021 10:46 AM

I mean, it's just boilerplate copy and ranked based on spec-sheets, maybe? It doesn't seem like this person has actually played all of these things.

Basically just click-bait.

Bushleague 09-24-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warfrat73 (Post 6817178)
I mean, it's just boilerplate copy and ranked based on spec-sheets, maybe? It doesn't seem like this person has actually played all of these things.

Absolutely, you would have a hard time convincing me that these types of lists are not compiled by a seedy B grade web company with some sort of rating crunching formula that they feel allows their staff to write articles about subjects they have no experience with, even without a very good grasp on the english language as is occasionally quite obvious.

I've run accross identical lists on fishing reels, canoes, and hunting packs... you could search everything from pickup trucks to blow up dolls and probably find identical articles, on identical templates, of identical quality... little more than garbage.

AusTexMurf 09-24-2021 11:07 AM

I love "Body" Dylan and the old D28, too !
https://i2.wp.com/500songs.com/wp-co...pg?w=500&ssl=1

wade 09-24-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warfrat73 (Post 6817178)

Yes. I take any article with multiple Amazon referral links with a huge grain of salt. They're not interested in providing useful information to the reader. They're interested in referral bonuses.

mr. beaumont 09-24-2021 12:02 PM

A few things I agree with...I think the 1-200 series Taylors are very high quality and quite affordable.

I'd give the nod to Martin's 18 series, if I were honoring Martin. In every sense a world class guitar, and they are really in the price bracket of most working musicians.

And before somebody jumps on me about that comment, how many folks here know someone that play a $500 who has spent 2k on other guitar stuff over the years that sits unused? I sure do.

Wadcutter 09-24-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 6817245)
A few things I agree with...I think the 1-200 series Taylors are very high quality and quite affordable.

I'd give the nod to Martin's 18 series, if I were honoring Martin. In every sense a world class guitar, and they are really in the price bracket of most working musicians.

And before somebody jumps on me about that comment, how many folks here know someone that play a $500 who has spent 2k on other guitar stuff over the years that sits unused? I sure do.

I’d say the list is basically “click bait” too, but I do agree with you mr b that the 1-200 series Taylors are a bargain at that price point.