The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lawnmowers (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510656)

David Eastwood 05-16-2018 05:25 PM

Lawnmowers

I'm replacing a gas powered Honda, which despite my benign negligence for the last 18 years, is actually falling apart. I repaired one handle failure last fall, but today's episode has resulted in bits hanging off it as a result of metal fatigue beyond anything routine maintenance might have prevented, even if I'd been so inclined.

After much research, I have purchased one of these as a replacement:

https://egopowerplus.com/products/21...led-lawn-mower

So, does anyone else here have an Ego?

(I could have had so much fun with that question, but I hate clickbait thread titles :) )

EdEd 05-16-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatswodo (Post 5730575)
I'm replacing a gas powered Honda, which despite my benign negligence for the last 18 years, is actually falling apart. I repaired one handle failure last fall, but today's episode has resulted in bits hanging off it as a result of metal fatigue beyond anything routine maintenance might have prevented, even if I'd been so inclined.

After much research, I have purchased one of these as a replacement:

https://egopowerplus.com/products/21...led-lawn-mower

So, does anyone else here have an Ego?

(I could have had so much fun with that question, but I hate clickbait thread titles :) )

These are (according to a few reviews I’ve read, and one anecdotal report) the “Cadillac” of battery mowers. That said, I ended up with a 21” Greenworx (Greenworks, maybe) 60v mower. Granted I have a small yard, about 30-35 min to do the whole yard, but I usually have 50% battery left when I finish. So far, the battery has lasted 2 seasons (just starting the 3rd) and seems to have the same capacity as when it was new.

Ed

MikeBmusic 05-17-2018 07:40 AM

Curious - at $500 will it last 4X as long as my gas-powered pollution-creating mower? I just started the 6th season of my $125 Kmart mower. Only maintenance - check the oil, and replace the air filter a couple of times, clean the spark plug about once a season.

RedJoker 05-17-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 5730984)
Curious - at $500 will it last 4X as long as my gas-powered pollution-creating mower? I just started the 6th season of my $125 Kmart mower. Only maintenance - check the oil, and replace the air filter a couple of times, clean the spark plug about once a season.

That's kind of like asking if a Martin guitar lasts 4x longer than your Yamaha. A better comparison might be to compare it to a $350 Honda mower. That might put in on comparable feature footing.

I don't know if it's better or worse, just pointing out the difference.

Back on topic, that looks like a cool mower! We mow with a 1954 Ford Tractor and only trim with a push mower but I can definitely see the appeal.

marty bradbury 05-17-2018 08:22 AM

Interesting. I have an electric mower but have always wondered about a battery powered one. I just bought a battery powered blower and love it. I'm going to get a spare battery.

HodgdonExtreme 05-17-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 5730984)
Curious - at $500 will it last 4X as long as my gas-powered pollution-creating mower?

Probably not, but I suspect you aren't genuinely curious.

I'm sure we've all seen the studies comparing the emissions of lawnmowers vs. automobiles. Those little engines have no pollution controls and pump out way more than cars.

As it should be, some people are willing to spend some more of their own dollars to avoid that - to say nothing about never needing to transport a jug of gasoline in your car, never needing to work your rotator cuff pulling the ripcord, changing oil, sparkplugs etc etc.

RedJoker 05-17-2018 10:55 AM

How quiet are electric mowers? I find I'm getting more and more sensitive to sound. I don't mean that my hearing is getting better, just that I'm more bothered by it.

Big Band Guitar 05-17-2018 11:12 AM

Neuton

I have had a Neuton for about 5 years it lasts about 45 minutes on a charge.

I also have a 1960's General Electric Elec-trak for about 20 years now It lasts about 2 1/2 hours on a charge with a 40 inch deck. About 45 minutes with the snow blower.

I will never go back to gas.

Bob Womack 05-17-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedJoker (Post 5731141)
How quiet are electric mowers? I find I'm getting more and more sensitive to sound. I don't mean that my hearing is getting better, just that I'm more bothered by it.

Go to a gun store and pick up a pair of shooting muffs. If you buy the active noise-cancelling ones with the phone input you can listen to tunes as well. The passive ones work just as well, but you'll have to put up with your own thoughts.

Bob

RP 05-17-2018 12:32 PM

I realized a number of years ago while working at Lowes that lawn maintenance is a pretty crazy thing. Think about it, we spend much time and money trying to grow a beautiful lawn only to spend additional time and money to cut said lawn. I think it's one of those things like walking dogs and scooping their poop that will cause aliens to question our collective level of intelligence. What's the alternative, you ask? I'm real big on ground covers like moss and periwinkle that seem to grow very well on their own and don't need cutting....

RedJoker 05-17-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 5731219)
Go to a gun store and pick up a pair of shooting muffs. If you buy the active noise-cancelling ones with the phone input you can listen to tunes as well. The passive ones work just as well, but you'll have to put up with your own thoughts.

Bob

I usually wear ear plugs. I was just wondering on the noise level. Besides, a lower volume also helps the neighbors and other family members.

Dirk Hofman 05-17-2018 12:56 PM

I have a battery powered mower and trimmer. I will not go back. They're fantastic.

Caveat – I almost certainly don't have the size of lawn others do.

Mr. Jelly 05-17-2018 01:11 PM

I'm not here when they mow the lawn so I don't have to worry about the noise :D

Swamp Yankee 05-17-2018 04:02 PM

At the campground where we have a permanent site, my neighbor had one just like that in the OP. It was perfect for the tiny lawns there, but no way could I use one at home.... too much lawn and too lumpy and hilly... I have an older John Deere garden tractor with a 48" deck.

TBman 05-17-2018 04:30 PM

My mower is on its last legs, it too is 18 years old. Its a Sears Craftsman 6 hp mower. I guess I'll get one of the shiny red mowers from Lowes when it finally kicks the bucket. Actually I haven't cranked it up yet this year as I get the front done by a landscaper and its been raining too much to mow the back.