The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Looking for recommendations for a somewhat affordable crossover guitar. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563744)

Mivo 11-14-2019 12:51 PM

Looking for recommendations for a somewhat affordable crossover guitar.

I hope this is the proper place to ask.

I'm interested in getting a good crossover guitar. Are there any particular brands and models in the ~500-1000 USD/EUR (lower is fine too) price range that you can recommend?

I'd ideally like to find something that I won't feel an urge to upgrade from within a year or two. If nothing stands out in that price bracket, are there any sweet spot crossover guitars that you'd recommend instead, even if they exceed the above mentioned price bracket?

Thanks for any advice, pointers, and recommendations. :)

jaymarsch 11-14-2019 01:01 PM

I have heard good things about Cordoba - their C9 runs about $850, I think.

You might do a search in the Classical section as crossover guitars get discussed and reviewed there more often than in the General section.

Best,
Jayne

Steve-arino 11-14-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mivo (Post 6211555)
I hope this is the proper place to ask.

I'm interested in getting a good crossover guitar. Are there any particular brands and models in the ~500-1000 USD/EUR (lower is fine too) price range that you can recommend?

I'd ideally like to find something that I won't feel an urge to upgrade from within a year or two. If nothing stands out in that price bracket, are there any sweet spot crossover guitars that you'd recommend instead, even if they exceed the above mentioned price bracket?

Thanks for any advice, pointers, and recommendations. :)

I'm in the same boat. I have done some investigation and the Cordoba C10 crossover is the one that I see mentioned most. Does not seem to be in stock anywhere near me so I can't try one. They seem to be priced at $1069 new in USA and I see a number of "blemished" C10's (don't know why) at mid $800's.

I've seen comparisons to Kenny Hill Player series which is somewhat more expensive (around $500 - $600 more).

Right now I'm personally leaning toward the C10 crossover but would love to hear impressions of other's in similar price range.

rmoretti49 11-14-2019 02:40 PM

I'm pretty pleased with my Cordoba Orchestra Fusion 12.

MikeBmusic 11-15-2019 07:54 AM

I don't think Taylor is currently producing them, but you can find them in stock at some music shops - 114CE-N - I tried quite a few guitars in the US$500-$700 range, including the previous sapele model of this guitar, but the layered walnut sounded much better to me, and the 'playing' felt right. I encourage you to get out to the stores and try out the guitars. What appeals to one player may not to another.

Rudy4 11-15-2019 08:12 AM

Here's my old web page on Crossover. I own the splendid Cordoba Orchestra Fusion.

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...Crossover.html

You might look at the new Taylor Academy series nylon-strung guitar that might satisfy your requirements.

AZLiberty 11-15-2019 12:20 PM

Cordoba Fusion

Breedlove (various price points)

k_russell 11-15-2019 12:36 PM

You might like a Cordoba Fusion 14. I got a used one for about $300.00 a few years ago. You can buy a new one for $799.00. Most often, I play finger style blues on it. The guitar works pretty well to accompany vocals as well.

Mivo 11-19-2019 10:11 AM

Thanks everyone for your input!

The Cordoba C10 has relatively good availability here in Germany, so it's the most promising candidate so far (around €1100). I also saw the stunning crossover model by Emerald Guitars, but at around €3500 it's not really in my price range currently. :) A carbon guitar would remove the humidity struggles in the winter, but yeah, certainly at a cost.

Rudy4 11-19-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mivo (Post 6215488)
Thanks everyone for your input!

The Cordoba C10 has relatively good availability here in Germany, so it's the most promising candidate so far (around €1100). I also saw the stunning crossover model by Emerald Guitars, but at around €3500 it's not really in my price range currently. :) A carbon guitar would remove the humidity struggles in the winter, but yeah, certainly at a cost.

Except that the C10 isn't a crossover.

Gordon Currie 11-19-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 6215751)
Except that the C10 isn't a crossover.

Cordoba seems to think so:
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c10-crossover/

Note that there is the C10 and the C10 Crossover (as well as a C9 and C9 Crossover). They are above the OP's price range.

I have a Fusion 14 spruce top that I got from a SDOTD for a ridiculous price. It's a pretty nice guitar and even works well with ToneDexter.

DownUpDave 11-19-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Currie (Post 6215764)

Note that there is the C10 and the C10 Crossover (as well as a C9 and C9 Crossover). They are above the OP's price range.

I have a Fusion 14 spruce top that I got from a SDOTD for a ridiculous price. It's a pretty nice guitar and even works well with ToneDexter.

This is correct information.

I own a C10 crossover spruce/rosewood and owned a C9 crossover cedar/mahogany as well. Both are excellent instruments, the spruce rosewood tone of the C10 was better suited to my playing.

They are really good instruments and you won’t find anything close to it in the $800-$1000 range.

Rudy4 11-19-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Currie (Post 6215764)

No, Cordoba draws a distinction between the "C10" and the "C10 Crossover". Mivo specifically referred to the C10, which even by the Manufacturer's description isn't a crossover.

I play a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion 14 fret crossover.

Mivo 11-19-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 6215837)
Mivo specifically referred to the C10, which even by the Manufacturer's description isn't a crossover.

I meant the crossover model, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't aware that they used the same letter-number combination for both a crossover and non-crossover model (I assumed the C stood for crossover). Thomann here in Germany carries the crossover model for €1099, though other shops take a bit more.

AZLiberty 11-19-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mivo (Post 6215911)
(I assumed the C stood for crossover)..

In Cordoba's nomenclature:

C stands for "Classical"
F stands for "Flamenco"