The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Stephen Kinnaird 2021 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603069)

Steve Kinnaird 06-04-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6732836)
That is impressive, love the bridge matching the bevel. This wood is going to bring the bling to B.I.G.!!!

Thanks Tom, we certainly hope so. Glad you like the look. Future pics will show that the rosette is the same b&w ebony, as is the head overlay. Hopes are for a cohesive package.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 6732861)
Shazam--looks amazing thus far!

Thanks Kevin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nootis (Post 6733069)
That bevel is looking great!
I also like that shirt. I hear frisbee golf is pretty big out there in Nacogdoches.

And thank you, Dan! Ryan used to be the president of the local disc golf club, and under his supervision the club grew by leaps and bounds. He has stepped back from that role, but the club is still fairly active. We have, I think, four really nice courses in town. Next time you come, bring your discs with you.

nacluth 06-04-2021 01:58 PM

#BIGBound

https://i.postimg.cc/XWxmnH90/091-CE...80-FFF7-CD.jpg

iim7V7IM7 06-04-2021 04:16 PM

Beautiful work Ryan & Steve...:up:

Steve Kinnaird 06-04-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 (Post 6733671)
Beautiful work Ryan & Steve...:up:

Hey thanks, Bob! This should make it to WILS.

Steve

Carpinteria 06-05-2021 05:23 AM

Like others have said, the wood is spectacular and the design brings such a cool cohesiveness to the instrument. And I’ll bet it sounds wonderful as well! Can’t wait to give it a whirl at BIG!

j. Kinnaird 06-05-2021 07:39 AM

Really great work on the bevel. That top edge joint looks perfect.

Why no go whole hog and use a B/W Ebony fingerboard

nacluth 06-05-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6733796)
Hey thanks, Bob! This should make it to WILS.

Don’t listen to Steve. This one is available for purchase, and I don’t plan on it making it until October. In fact, if someone wants the early bird special, just pm me. ;)

Rapido Eduwardo 06-06-2021 10:17 AM

Mr Kincaid, really enjoyed your playing and the guitars are stunning.

Steve Kinnaird 06-06-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpinteria (Post 6733919)
Like others have said, the wood is spectacular and the design brings such a cool cohesiveness to the instrument. And I’ll bet it sounds wonderful as well! Can’t wait to give it a whirl at BIG!

Thanks mucho! I’ll be happy to let you kick the tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird (Post 6734005)
Really great work on the bevel. That top edge joint looks perfect.
Why no go whole hog and use a B/W Ebony fingerboard

Thanks bro! Why no use as a fretboard? 1) that can drive the player either blind or insane, and 2) we don’t have one on hand....

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 6734075)
Don’t listen to Steve. This one is available for purchase, and I don’t plan on it making it until October. In fact, if someone wants the early bird special, just pm me. ;)

What he said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapido Eduwardo (Post 6734834)
Mr Kincaid, really enjoyed your playing and the guitars are stunning.

Hey, thanks for that! Much appreciated.

Steve

nacluth 06-07-2021 03:56 PM

#BIGBound

https://i.postimg.cc/69rk21ff/01-E3-...3664053-A1.jpg

j. Kinnaird 06-08-2021 09:39 AM

Dang, that’s so pretty I may just stay home.

Steve Kinnaird 06-08-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird (Post 6736426)
Dang, that’s so pretty I may just stay home.

Yeah, right...I’ve seen what you’re bringing.
We’re just trying to keep up.

doodahdoug 06-08-2021 12:17 PM

Talk about a looker, Wow that is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it at B.I.G. if someone doesn't buy it before then. Even then, that person should take delivery at B.I.G., can you drag your feet a little on finishing this one out? ;)

BlackKeys36 06-08-2021 12:27 PM

I've loved this guitar since the first time I saw it and it just keeps getting better. That bevel is incredible.

vanceen 06-08-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 6733577)

That black and white ebony is so gorgeous. And sustainable!

Steve Kinnaird 06-08-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodahdoug (Post 6736553)
Talk about a looker, Wow that is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it at B.I.G. if someone doesn't buy it before then. Even then, that person should take delivery at B.I.G., can you drag your feet a little on finishing this one out? ;)

Thanks Doug. But take care—there are a few things in life one should never say. High on the list: “Take your time” to a luthier!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 (Post 6736563)
I've loved this guitar since the first time I saw it and it just keeps getting better. That bevel is incredible.

Thank you John! I’d love for you to play this guy, and get your feedback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanceen (Post 6736716)
That black and white ebony is so gorgeous. And sustainable!

Much appreciated Vance. I should probably look more diligently for this species, but I only seem to encounter it in fits and spurts. I hope you are right about its sustainability—it produces a stunning instrument.

Steve

vanceen 06-09-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6736937)
Thanks Doug. But take care—there are a few things in life one should never say. High on the list: “Take your time” to a luthier!

Thank you John! I’d love for you to play this guy, and get your feedback.

Much appreciated Vance. I should probably look more diligently for this species, but I only seem to encounter it in fits and spurts. I hope you are right about its sustainability—it produces a stunning instrument.

Steve

I was very impressed by a video from the president of Taylor a few years ago in which he described how black ebony is harvested. Apparently it's not known whether the wood is solid black until the tree is felled. So some number (I forget the number, but it was surprisingly large) of trees get cut down and then left on the ground because they don't have enough solid black material. He said they weren't going to specify all-black ebony any more.

I love the looks of black ebony, but I hate for such a wasteful process to go into guitars. And the black and white is really beautiful in itself.

Steve Kinnaird 06-09-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanceen (Post 6737534)
I was very impressed by a video from the president of Taylor a few years ago in which he described how black ebony is harvested. Apparently it's not known whether the wood is solid black until the tree is felled. So some number (I forget the number, but it was surprisingly large) of trees get cut down and then left on the ground because they don't have enough solid black material. He said they weren't going to specify all-black ebony any more.

I love the looks of black ebony, but I hate for such a wasteful process to go into guitars. And the black and white is really beautiful in itself.

Ah, I think we are speaking of two different species, at least possibly.
This guitar is not from that African ebony which is multi-colored, and enjoying a new sense of appreciation due to men like Taylor. But rather a different species from S.E. Asia. The species name eludes me at the moment, but it carries the eponymous name “Black and White”.

We DO have some African ebony that is from that ebony-saving project (á la Taylor) and it is amazing. It would be heartening to think there are preservation efforts for all the ebony species.

iim7V7IM7 06-11-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6737675)
This guitar is not from that African ebony which is multi-colored, and enjoying a new sense of appreciation due to men like Taylor. But rather a different species from S.E. Asia. The species name eludes me at the moment, but it carries the eponymous name “Black and White”.

We DO have some African ebony that is from that ebony-saving project (á la Taylor) and it is amazing. It would be heartening to think there are preservation efforts for all the ebony species.

Diospyros malabarica Steve…:up:

Steve Kinnaird 06-11-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 (Post 6738955)
Diospyros malabarica Steve…:up:

Well there you go! Thanks Bob, I figured you would have that name up your sleeve. It’s an amazing variety of Diospyros, that’s for sure.

vanceen 06-11-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6737675)

Well, there you go. Happy to be learning something!

Steve Kinnaird 06-14-2021 12:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Vance (and any others that might appreciate this discussion) I got a couple of pics showing some of the “rescued” African ebony. These show how the term “black and white” can be interpreted in other ways.

Attachment 58126

First pic is large enough (just) for a 00.

Attachment 58128

This shot is of the set we call “Chain Gang Ebony”. Hopefully for obvious reasons. Both of these are diospyros crassiflora. I hope I have spelled that correctly. Both from Africa, both are black and white, especially the chain gang set. Not confusing, right?

j. Kinnaird 06-14-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6741166)
Hey Vance (and any others that might appreciate this discussion) I got a couple of pics showing some of the “rescued” African ebony. These show how the term “black and white” can be interpreted in other ways.

Attachment 58126

Attachment 58128

This shot is of the set we call “Chain Gang Ebony”. Hopefully for obvious reasons. Both of these are diospyros crassiflora. I hope I have spelled that correctly. Both from Africa, both are black and white, especially the chain gang set. Not confusing, right?

I want some

Steve Kinnaird 06-14-2021 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And for comparison purposes, the “Black and White” ebony on this latest guitar:

Attachment 58158

TomB'sox 06-14-2021 06:40 PM

100% completely random, but I just made the lovely Kathy a large 64 inch by 2 1/2 inch floating shelf and two charcuterie boards out of spalted Tx Hackbury with a very similar look believe it or not to the last B and W ebony back. I will show them to you at B.I.G.!!!

Steve Kinnaird 06-15-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6741473)
100% completely random, but I just made the lovely Kathy a large 64 inch by 2 1/2 inch floating shelf and two charcuterie boards out of spalted Tx Hackbury with a very similar look believe it or not to the last B and W ebony back. I will show them to you at B.I.G.!!!

Looking forward to it, Tom. And if this guitar is a good match to the shelf, you could put it there and the lovely Kathy might not recognize the new purchase until weeks...months later? Just trying to help, ya know. :D

Guitars44me 06-15-2021 09:16 AM

Way to Go!

This BW is mighty Purdy!!!

Going to be a show stopper. And it will no doubt sound even better than it looks!

Salud

Paul

vanceen 06-15-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6741166)

Attachment 58126

Attachment 58128

Well, that is beautiful.

And the other black & white ebony looks even better.

Steve Kinnaird 06-15-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6741861)
This BW is mighty Purdy!!!
Going to be a show stopper. And it will no doubt sound even better than it looks!
Salud
Paul

Thanks again, Paul. I appreciate your kind thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanceen (Post 6742336)
Well, that is beautiful.

And the other black & white ebony looks even better.

I’m glad you like them Vance. Thanks for sparking this discussion of different ebony species!

Steve

Steve Kinnaird 08-28-2021 10:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I’ll try to revive this thread a bit with some overdue pictures.
The Black & White Ebony OM will juuuuust make it to B.I.G. on time.
A few shots:

Attachment 61295

Attachment 61296

And because some folks were interested in the neck, particularly how in the world to match (or compliment) that back, here is our solution. Mahogany outer lams, with maple stringers and a central core of Bees Wing Narra. Also, a few black veneer lines for clear separation:

Attachment 61297

Hope to see you at B.I.G.!

Steve