The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   A Sudden Abundance of Glamorous Guitars in the Classifieds! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534841)

Guest 728 01-16-2019 02:10 PM

A Sudden Abundance of Glamorous Guitars in the Classifieds!

Man, I've noticed that the AGF Classifieds are flush with some amazing guitars lately. Unfortunately, they're all well out of my tax bracket, but I don't recall ever seeing so many boutique instruments all at once, several of which I've never even heard of. There's Straham, Huss & Dalton, Baranik, Kronbauer, Joshua House, Flammang, Applegate, William Kelday, Blazer & Henkes, David LaPlante, Sexauer, Kinnaird, and Greenfield represented -- and that's just on the first two pages!

Is this a post-holiday thing? Is the economy tanking? Is everyone upgrading to a Zager? It's like a museum in there --- get behind me, Satan! :eek:

Tnfiddler 01-16-2019 02:24 PM

I just recently acquired a killer Bourgeois over there! Been wanting one for several years and I finally got one!

llew 01-16-2019 02:32 PM

Okay...that officially seals it...I cannot visit the classifieds.:D

Brucebubs 01-16-2019 02:41 PM

A Sudden Abundance of Glamorous Guitars in the Classifieds!

It's not sudden ... there's always an abundance of glamorous guitars in the classifieds. :)

Rosewood99 01-16-2019 02:48 PM

I pretty much always see an abundance of glamorous guitars on the classifieds. Not sure now is any different. It's a buyers marker.

Mr. Paul 01-16-2019 03:01 PM

The classifieds have always made Craigslist look like a garbage pile.

drive-south 01-16-2019 03:40 PM

You're right on the money with the Zager reference. String science baby!

Mycroft 01-16-2019 03:57 PM

What, are they all dressed up in Tuxedos or in heels and a slinky evening dress?

hairpuller 01-16-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnfiddler (Post 5950395)
I just recently acquired a killer Bourgeois over there! Been wanting one for several years and I finally got one!

Hey, I'm looking for one too, but Adi/Hog SS OM or 12 fret...<sigh>
Don't 'em come around much...even in our classifieds.
scott

merlin666 01-16-2019 04:39 PM

I have noticed that since joining and was curious about it. One would expect guitars that have high production numbers such as Martin and Taylor to be the most common offered guitars, which is probably true, and other brands being offered proportional to their production number. But indeed their seems to be a vast over-representation of exotic and custom boutique build that the average mortal rarely gets to see or even touch in person. And I wonder why this is, I would have though that people who buy these often highly customized guitars would keep and treasure them for the rest of their lives. But instead many end up for sale again - and likely/hopefully NOT because they cause their owners some financial hardship. Maybe they don't live up to the their expectation? So sellers of these guitars, please chime in as to your reasons for selling these.

chistrummer 01-16-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire (Post 5950381)
Man, I've noticed that the AGF Classifieds are flush with some amazing guitars lately. Unfortunately, they're all well out of my tax bracket, but I don't recall ever seeing so many boutique instruments all at once, several of which I've never even heard of. There's Straham, Huss & Dalton, Baranik, Kronbauer, Joshua House, Flammang, Applegate, William Kelday, Blazer & Henkes, David LaPlante, Sexauer, Kinnaird, and Greenfield represented -- and that's just on the first two pages!

Is this a post-holiday thing? Is the economy tanking? Is everyone upgrading to a Zager? It's like a museum in there --- get behind me, Satan! :eek:

I think it's several things, there are many guitars listed here that are not well known and are hard to sell and a strong economy such as we are enjoying right now usually favors new products and established sellers with inspection periods and financing.

247hoopsfan 01-16-2019 05:21 PM

I have a hard time spending $4000 and up on a guitar I have never played from a maker I've never heard of. I would suppose many folks on the forum feel the same way. You may get the guitar and find that it just isn't for you, and still take a bath trying to re-sell it. I'm quite content with my Larrivees and Goodall.

stringjunky 01-16-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan (Post 5950560)
I have a hard time spending $4000 and up on a guitar I have never played from a maker I've never heard of. I would suppose many folks on the forum feel the same way. You may get the guitar and find that it just isn't for you, and still take a bath trying to re-sell it. I'm quite content with my Larrivees and Goodall.

Goodalls cost more than 4 grand, don't they?

Aaron Smith 01-16-2019 05:49 PM

I’ve moved a few of them through the stable, and I have yet to lose money on a guitar I got or sold @ AGF. IMO the best way to do guitar deals.

Mycroft 01-16-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin666 (Post 5950514)
I have noticed that since joining and was curious about it. One would expect guitars that have high production numbers such as Martin and Taylor to be the most common offered guitars, which is probably true, and other brands being offered proportional to their production number. But indeed their seems to be a vast over-representation of exotic and custom boutique build that the average mortal rarely gets to see or even touch in person. And I wonder why this is, I would have though that people who buy these often highly customized guitars would keep and treasure them for the rest of their lives. But instead many end up for sale again - and likely/hopefully NOT because they cause their owners some financial hardship. Maybe they don't live up to the their expectation? So sellers of these guitars, please chime in as to your reasons for selling these.

Some folks enjoy the chase...