The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Wiping your strings down after playing? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518368)

SomeGuy 08-12-2018 12:47 PM

Wiping your strings down after playing?

I'm looking into general care for acoustic guitars, and read numerous places that you should wipe down your guitar strings after every use. But that got me wondering, wouldn't wiping down your guitar strings cause the fibers from the cotton towel (or even microfiber towel) to get stuck in the guitar strings?

What do you use to clean your guitar strings to make them last longer - or do you even bother?

Kerbie 08-12-2018 12:49 PM

I've been wiping mine down years and never seen a fiber from the towels I use. If you use a nice microfiber one, I don't think it's gonna be a problem. And it has seemed to add a little to the longevity of the strings.

Denny B 08-12-2018 12:53 PM

I wipe down the neck, body, and strings on my guitars when I've finished playing for the day...

If there's any negative results or downside for the strings, I certainly haven't noticed them..

jaymarsch 08-12-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5807678)
I've been wiping mine down years and never seen a fiber from the towels I use. If you use a nice microfiber one, I don't think it's gonna be a problem. And it has seemed to add a little to the longevity of the strings.

This has been my experience as well.

Best,
Jayne

Tnfiddler 08-12-2018 01:00 PM

I wipe down my whole guitar before it goes in the case. Never seen anything but a shiny guitar after.

Jabberwocky 08-12-2018 01:10 PM

Workshop grade paper towels work just as well. Old socks are particularly good.

4-string 08-12-2018 01:11 PM

Clean and dry hands before picking the guitar up is more important than a wipe down after IMO.

I never wipe off my strings, only the back of the neck every now and then. Disclaimer: I love fresh strings, and don't mind changing them. ;):D

Godfather 08-12-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5807678)

+1 ... same thing here.

Pitar 08-12-2018 01:38 PM

Steel strings - I'd slide a portion of a thin cotton cloth (handkerchief) flat beneath the strings and then fold it over the top of the strings, sandwiching them. Then I'd use another cloth dampened in oderless mineral spirits and, while firmly pressing it into the folded over portion of the handkerchief, slide the hole thing up and down the board gently working the dampened cloth against the strings as I went. Amazing how dirty they get. That's before I started changing them every 2-3 weeks, or when the trebles began to lose their brilliance.

Pura Vida 08-12-2018 01:39 PM

My hands are fairly toxic with strings, so I make sure my hands are clean before I play, and I wipe them down, when I'm done with a microfiber cloth. But even then, I notice my strings sounding a little lifeless, so I use Music Nomad String Fuel, as well.

Guildman 08-12-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-string (Post 5807691)
Clean and dry hands before picking the guitar up is more important than a wipe down after IMO.

I never wipe off my strings, only the back of the neck every now and then. Disclaimer: I love fresh strings, and don't mind changing them. ;):D

The way I look at it......for what I've paid for the two main players they should hold up to my handling. Probably sounds ignorant to a lot of folks on here. I'll wipe them down occasionally. I think I will before the days out now that this has been served as a reminder.

rokdog49 08-12-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-string (Post 5807691)

That's my mantra as well.
Anyway, most PB strings last me at least a dozen hours of playing time and I own four acoustics. That is except for the Martin Titaniums on my J45. Those were just put on a couple of weeks ago. They will be on at least three or four more months.The Retros can go up to six weeks of daily playing.

HHP 08-12-2018 02:15 PM

Never wipe them down. Figure I'll change them before any real build up occurs and wiping doesn't do anything for the fret dents they pick up.

I wipe down and clean the guitar when I change strings.

DukeX 08-12-2018 02:18 PM

Yes I wipe my guitar and my strings (using different cloths). Whether using cotton or microfiber, I've never experienced any issues.

sdelsolray 08-12-2018 02:52 PM

I do not have a toxic hand or fingers for guitar playing. Nevertheless, I always wash my hands before playing and wash them again after about each 30 minute session. I also wipe the neck, strings and portions of the body (by the 14th fret treble side and where my right armpit may touch the side/back joint on the lower bout bass side. I certainly do this when I finish with a guitar but I also might do it when I take a break.