The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Thalia capo (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573589)

Guest 928 02-28-2020 07:21 PM

Thalia capo

The rest of you may have already been here before, but the Thalie is new to me.

Today, down at the Tree Bar, Joe, an Emerald owner, showed me Thalia capos on his iphone. I had never heard of them but was stunned by how closely they follow Emerald's woodies. Joe says he can get a capo that exactly matches his woody bass. I don't know how they are as a capo, but they are sure cool as a look.

jayhawk 02-28-2020 07:32 PM

They are terrific as a capo. You can easily use it with one hand

They are expensive (in my opinion) but I wouldn’t give mine up.

Jack

Dbone 02-29-2020 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 6305083)
The rest of you may have already been here before, but the Thalie is new to me.

Today, down at the Tree Bar, Joe, an Emerald owner, showed me Thalia capos on his iphone. I had never heard of them but was stunned by how closely they follow Emerald's woodies. Joe says he can get a capo that exactly matches his woody bass. I don't know how they are as a capo, but they are sure cool as a look.

They have radius-specific fittings. As far as fit they don’t get much better in theory. It doesn’t hurt that they are nice to look at, but in function alone they are amazing. I have 2. They have a high quality feel to them.

Their radius guide —>

https://www.thaliacapos.com/pages/fr...tar-make-model

Danz567 02-29-2020 09:13 AM

I’ve been using a Thalia Capo with my X20 and I love it. Looks and works great.

Guest 928 02-29-2020 09:59 AM

Have any of you matched the capo wood to the Emerald veneers? If so I would appreciate some pictures.

Tøf 02-29-2020 11:13 AM

Thalia capos look cool but they are really heavy.

stokes1971 02-29-2020 11:21 AM

I've got 2 of them.I like them a lot,easy to use,work great with the radiused inserts.Kind of expensive,but worth it in my opinion.

Methos1979 02-29-2020 05:02 PM

I had one of the earliest models. It literally fell apart in my hands after a few uses. Thalia was excellent in their customer service and offered me a replacement or a refund. I chose refund as I did not find the capo overall to be something I enjoyed using due to the size and weight.

Dbone 02-29-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 6305764)
I had one of the earliest models. It literally fell apart in my hands after a few uses. Thalia was excellent in their customer service and offered me a replacement or a refund. I chose refund as I did not find the capo overall to be something I enjoyed using due to the size and weight.

Yeah, they have moved past those early issues as far as I am aware.

Guest 928 03-01-2020 07:12 PM

No one has a Thalia with a veneer matching the guitar? I want some pictures!

jwellsy 03-01-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

No one has a Thalia with a veneer matching the guitar? I want some pictures!
Want a little guitar pron with a Thalia?
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...7-239-PRON.JPG

tdq 03-01-2020 10:40 PM

I have a Thalia capo (a Xmas present) and have to say I'm not a fan, although I do use it - I find them quite bulky. I spent ages trying out all the rubbers, and now it lives on my 12-string, although it is the 6-string version.

ac 03-02-2020 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdq (Post 6306679)
I have a Thalia capo (a Xmas present) and have to say I'm not a fan, although I do use it - I find them quite bulky. I spent ages trying out all the rubbers, and now it lives on my 12-string, although it is the 6-string version.

There was the original Thalia that began as a Kickstarter project. If you have one of those, they were difficult to use.

They were extremely tight on the guitar and hard to squeeze open. Spring tensions were not consistent capo to capo.

So the capo was redesigned so the hand pressure needed was far less and especially, for the springs, a device was designed to pretest the tension of every spring so they were within specs and consistent before being assembled. Different spring sources were sought out as well, etc., as I recall.

I have both the original and the current version and there is a world of difference, even though outwardly they look identical. It's a polished product now.

Guest 928 03-02-2020 09:34 AM

Jwellsy;

Thank you for the picture--looks like date night though the sand clock and ax are kind of spooky.

tdq 03-02-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac (Post 6306730)
There was the original Thalia that began as a Kickstarter project. If you have one of those, they were difficult to use.

They were extremely tight on the guitar and hard to squeeze open. Spring tensions were not consistent capo to capo.

So the capo was redesigned so the hand pressure needed was far less and especially, for the springs, a device was designed to pretest the tension of every spring so they were within specs and consistent before being assembled. Different spring sources were sought out as well, etc., as I recall.

I have both the original and the current version and there is a world of difference, even though outwardly they look identical. It's a polished product now.

Its definitely one of the newer ones, but just isn't for me I guess. My favourite tbh is my paige which lives behind the headstock. Never gets lost or "borrowed" by my daughter. I find the keyser the easiest to use but it does suffer from the aforementioned borrowing.