The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Changed strings to ej11 80/20 on my Taylor 214ce-k dlx and.... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569537)

anjoga 01-16-2020 09:41 PM

Changed strings to ej11 80/20 on my Taylor 214ce-k dlx and....

....all my heavy picks now sound dull and lifeless? I've been using the stock Elixirs on the guitar since I bought it and typically use heavy or extra heavy celluloid, 1.0 -1.5 primetones, 1.00mm nylon, etc.

I decided to shake things up and try a set of 80/20's. Never played anything but phosphor bronze. I picked the D'addario ej11's because they were cheap and if didn't like them I wouldn't feel too bad. I put them on last night and I am surprised. The bass is deeper, the treble is sweeter. However, if I use anything other than a medium celluloid or .73 or .88 nylon they guitar sounds like it has a blanket over it. I'm not a big fan of such flexible picks, but there is no denying they sound the best with this guitar with these strings right now.

After a day of playing, I'm surprised how much I am liking them considering how many threads I've read about 80/20's here and how unpopular they seem. Any thoughts on this phenomenon I'm experiencing?

Crazyguitardj 01-16-2020 09:51 PM

I have a 214 c e also and I really like having light gauge strings on it... It really makes the guitar sing out well. The 214 was made light, or medium gauge strings on it. But I think it sounds better with light gauge

Jaden 01-16-2020 09:57 PM

When I joined this forum, phosphor bronze and Martin Retros (monels) were often recommended but I’ve seen a sea change from pb to 80/20s - actually, there has been lots of criticism of the former, and as far as monels go, another shift from ‘only on mahogany guitars’ to wide ranging acceptance on rosewood backed guitars, depending on the individual instrument and personal preference - no hard and fast rules.

As for EJ11 80/20s - it’s absolute top notch performance for studio recordings depending on the instrument, but not long lasting - think high performance and quick decline. My favourite default string set for *years*.

Oldguy64 01-17-2020 03:09 AM

I like EJ11’s as well.
I’ve found that in many cases the 80/20’s will “play in” and sound about as warm as a new set of PB.
I have an “older” 110. Given a little time for the strings to play in, it has much bass thump with EJ11 and EJ13.

anjoga 01-17-2020 06:13 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still really confused about why my heavy picks sound so dull with these 80/20 strings compared to the elixir nano phosphor bronze that had been on the guitar. Every thread I read here talks about how much brighter the 80/20's are supposed to be. I've never used a medium celluloid pick and liked it, but with these strings it is about the only pick I have right now that makes the guitar sound right to my ears.

beatcomber 01-17-2020 08:57 AM

I've never tried 80/20's before, only PB and monels. I plan to re-string my 000-15SM this weekend, and have a set of Martin 80/20's that I will be trying out.

I'll post my impressions!

wguitar 01-17-2020 09:02 AM

Each guitar has it's own "personality", responding differently to different string/pick combinations. Experimentation will help you find that sweet spot. One pick you may want to try is the Dunlop Primetone (.73 & .88). They are stiffer than the Dunlop nylon picks, and should work very well with the EJ11 80/20's. Good luck!

Cheers!

Shredmaster007 01-17-2020 09:31 AM

To me, PBs seem to be scooped sounding with more harmonics in the high end (sizzle). 80/20s seem more fundamental with more mids and less harmonics. 80/20s cut through a mix more, I think that is where their reputation for being bright comes from.

anjoga 01-17-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wguitar (Post 6267522)
Each guitar has it's own "personality", responding differently to different string/pick combinations. Experimentation will help you find that sweet spot. One pick you may want to try is the Dunlop Primetone (.73 & .88). They are stiffer than the Dunlop nylon picks, and should work very well with the EJ11 80/20's. Good luck!

Cheers!

I actually have a primetone .88 that sounds pretty good, but might need to go down to .73 though.

vindibona1 01-17-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjoga (Post 6267219)
....all my heavy picks now sound dull and lifeless? I've been using the stock Elixirs on the guitar since I bought it and typically use heavy or extra heavy celluloid, 1.0 -1.5 primetones, 1.00mm nylon, etc.

I decided to shake things up and try a set of 80/20's... I put them on last night and I am surprised.

The pick is an important piece of the puzzle because that is the main source of the strings' attack. But 80/20's seem to "dull up" more than PB's. They key is to see if you still like these strings in 2 or 3 weeks. Have you tried any Elixir 80/20's on your guitar?

anjoga 01-17-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 6267731)
The pick is an important piece of the puzzle because that is the main source of the strings' attack. But 80/20's seem to "dull up" more than PB's. They key is to see if you still like these strings in 2 or 3 weeks. Have you tried any Elixir 80/20's on your guitar?

No, not yet. This is the first time I've tried any 80/20 strings. It is possible that the dulled sound you are talking about is the reason I need such a thin pick to make the strings ring out in a way pleasing to my ears, whereas I could use much thicker picks with PB strings and still get note clarity. Jury is still out on what I like better.

Lillis 01-17-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatcomber (Post 6267513)
I've never tried 80/20's before, only PB and monels. I plan to re-string my 000-15SM this weekend, and have a set of Martin 80/20's that I will be trying out.

I'll post my impressions!

I’ll be interested to read your thoughts on 80/20’s on the 00015sm

Wild Bill Jones 01-18-2020 12:08 AM

Guess you just had a upfront close and personal experience on how different strings can change the sound of s guitar. I mess around with different strings all the time.

ctvolfan 01-18-2020 04:02 AM

Similar situation for me. The original strings on my Yamaha FGX5 were Elixir PBs and were on the dead side. That's what's on them from the factory but i got the guitar used. I put some PB J16s on it and it was still too dull to my ears. Went to my local shop to get some Elixir 80/20 Bronze Nanowebs but they were out so i took some cheap EJ 11s. The guitar really came to life. Not too mellow and not too bright. Just right. I'm a Taylor guy so I'm used to bright and i wanted to go a different direction with this mahogany Yamaha. I wanted a warm tone but not too muted. These strings really balanced it out well. A little bit of bright and i was able to retain the warm sound. Jury is still out on how long they'll last. I'm gonna try that Elixers next time since they last a long time. But i really liked these.

RockerDuck 01-18-2020 06:30 AM

Elixir 80/20 bronze is what I use now. Its for consistency. I use these on my Taylor 814ce and 314e, both x braced. 80/20 deliver warm punchiness in my playing.