The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Saw Bill Staines tonight (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569828)

rwmct 01-19-2020 08:36 PM

Saw Bill Staines tonight

I saw Bill Staines tonight. I liked his guitar style quite a bit. It was the first time I saw someone play a guitar upside down. Using the thumbpick on the high strings and finger picking the low strings, and reversing the strumming direction, added up to a different sound. It fit his songs well.

offkey 01-21-2020 07:14 AM

I saw Bill Staines years ago at a house concert. Everyone but me was singing along with Bill so I didn't get to hear him. Still irritated about that concert. Lol.

fitness1 01-21-2020 09:32 AM

Saw Bill many times back in the 80's - he's a great songwriter and troubadour. Watching him play is definitely interesting!;)

Used to perform a few of his songs and had to modify them a bit to make them work!

rwmct 01-22-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 6271308)
Saw Bill many times back in the 80's - he's a great songwriter and troubadour. Watching him play is definitely interesting!;)

Used to perform a few of his songs and had to modify them a bit to make them work!

Yeah, I can see that modification would be in order. I have enough trouble following the playing of guys who have the guitar right side up and are doing things in more or less ordinary fashion.

RustyAxe 01-22-2020 08:52 AM

Not being able to exactly duplicate Bill's left-handed-upside-down playing is certainly no reason not to perform Bill's great songs. Several of his are in my active repertoire.

Ryler 01-22-2020 07:39 PM

I'm glad to hear that he's still playing. Saw him in Denver many years ago and love so many of his songs. I swear I saw him walking into a Barnes and Noble in Massachusetts a few years ago, white beard and cowboy hat, but can't be sure.

fitness1 01-22-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryler (Post 6272797)
I swear I saw him walking into a Barnes and Noble in Massachusetts a few years ago, white beard and cowboy hat, but can't be sure.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit - he spends a lot of time in that area!;)

rwmct 01-23-2020 08:51 PM

He certainly has many loyal fans. They mentioned concerts he played in the area in the 70s and 80s and there were people who said they were in attendance at those. I had not heard of him until that Nancy Griffith cover of "Roseville Fair."

My wife picked up a CD at the show called "The First Million Miles." Now, that's a troubadour.

The Bard Rocks 01-23-2020 10:01 PM

I saw him last summer, first time in many years. He is showing his age (which he has earned a right to do), but not if you close your eyes. Then, he sounds the same.