The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   So, was there anything else at NAMM? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569752)

lowrider 01-19-2020 07:50 AM

So, was there anything else at NAMM?

I know that the new Martin SC-13e really caught everyone's attention. And that whether or not you like, it's a real a magnet to write about. But to read around here, you'd think nobody else even bothered to show up.

We had some pre-NAMM chatter about the new Taylor scoop. Did anyone try one? What about the Sheeran guitars? They were last years darlings, did anyone get any info about when they might actually be for sale?

Spark Amp? Another best in show, what do you think? Is it any good for practicing and learning or just another gimmick?

Acoustisonic Strat? Any different than the A Tele?

Anything else? There must be something we need to see?!

RalphH 01-19-2020 07:54 AM

I've preordered the Acoustasonic strat. I'm really excited about it. It's the tele except shape.

Gibsons 2020 lineup is pretty cool. Nothing new, in face a lot that's old - a while range of vintage style acoustics. Very cool to see the j-185 back as a standard, non-customshop model and proced accordingly.

MaurysMusic 01-19-2020 09:04 AM

I’m very curious to hear more about the LR Baggs soundscape. Anyone try it?

lowrider 01-19-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphH (Post 6269157)
I've preordered the Acoustasonic strat. I'm really excited about it. It's the tele except shape.

I love the Acoustisonic Tele. I have no need for one but it's a cool guitar. I played with a guy with one. He was plugged into a Fishman Loudbox and it really sounded like he was playing lead on an acoustic guitar.

Good luck with your new Ac Strat!

RalphH 01-19-2020 11:33 AM

Thanks! I keep thinking about selling my last electric as I dont play it.... but I can't quite manage to get comfortable with just not owning an electric. I also keep thinking about selling my GS mini as I hardly play that, but it's more portable, nicer on the sofa, and better plugged in than my Hummingbird (which doesn't have electronics). Thinking the acoustasonic is a good option to replace two underused guitars with one that might actually get quite a lot of use. I've also been eyeing quieter guitars for evening use. Unplugged it seems to tick that too

I'm not selling anything yet. It'll be months before the preorder gets filled I'm sure. Might even be the summer. When it arrives I'll take a view on whether it replaces the other two or not. Having never tried the tele I really dont know until it gets here.

lowrider 01-19-2020 11:36 AM

It's a guitar that can do anything!

Good Luck

agfsteve 01-19-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphH (Post 6269157)

I heard on the Anderton's demo that in terms of tones the Acoustasonic Strat was slightly more electric-focused, whereas the Tele was more acoustic-focused.

RalphH 01-19-2020 12:13 PM

That would suit me- it'll be my only electric and replacing my secondary acoustic. My hummingbird will always be my main strum and sing guitar.

AcousticDreams 01-19-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaurysMusic (Post 6269211)
I’m very curious to hear more about the LR Baggs soundscape. Anyone try it?

I was at NAMM all day Thursday and did very,very briefly try the new Baggs.
Very impressive! Personally I am not one for emulations in recording...but I do realize for Live playing this could solve lots of problems. Live Sound for acoustic guitarist has always been a problem. Being able to cut through, to be heard, is not an easy task. This new device certainly has lots of potential for solving those problems.
Possibly one of its greater features was the linking to your phone and being able to display an interactive EQ graph. Simply by the touch of your fingers you can raise any point in the EQ graph. Visual confirmation is always nice.
Unfortunately, I was a bit under the weather and did not put it through a heavy test. For myself, the real question is how will it perform under extreme dynamic playing...Going for gentle finger-style to ultra heavy Townsend like strumming. Will it be able to handle the wide dynamic range without distortion?
Someone else will have to answer that question.

MaurysMusic 01-19-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars (Post 6269429)
I was at NAMM all day Thursday and did very,very briefly try the new Baggs.
Very impressive! Personally I am not one for emulations in recording...but I do realize for Live playing this could solve lots of problems. Live Sound for acoustic guitarist has always been a problem. Being able to cut through, to be heard, is not an easy task. This new device certainly has lots of potential for solving those problems.
Possibly one of its greater features was the linking to your phone and being able to display an interactive EQ graph. Simply by the touch of your fingers you can raise any point in the EQ graph. Visual confirmation is always nice.
Unfortunately, I was a bit under the weather and did not put it through a heavy test. For myself, the real question is how will it perform under extreme dynamic playing...Going for gentle finger-style to ultra heavy Townsend like strumming. Will it be able to handle the wide dynamic range without distortion?
Someone else will have to answer that question.

Sorry to hear that; get well soon! Sounds like a good first impression, though.

AcousticDreams 01-19-2020 01:14 PM

NAMM REPORT

As I mentioned, I was a bit under the weather for my Thursday NAMM stay. I was still able to see and do most everything I wanted.
1. G7th: I had never held a G7th Heritage before. Heard lots of wonderful reports just the week before in a G7th Heritage Thread here on AGF.
It was true love upon my first feel. Everything people are saying about these Capo's is seeming true.
I purchased one in their classy gold finish and it matches my Gotoh Xfinish tuners nicely. I can not believe just how perfectly and easily it tightens up even using my slightly heavier custom Medium gauge strings. Very Happy.
2. Most Everyone knows that I am a huge-huge Larrivee Fan. I always enjoy Seeing Sean, John & Matt and their lovely creations. I am never disappointed with their latest offerings. Simply one of the greatest values in the Acoustic Guitar Market. Rich, sustaining tone and always super consistent.
3. I have also never used a Blue Chip Thumpick. I was excited as Blue Chip told me that we would leave some thumbpicks at the Preston Thompson Booth. I had a hard time finding Preston Thompson's booth and wound up getting to their booth late in the day around 5:00 p.m. That actually worked out pretty good as It was a tad quieter in Hall E at that time. Especially since Preston Thompson was against a far wall. However much to my dismay, They only had Blue chip picks...so I did not get to try out their thumbpicks. But while I was their I gave a listen to Preston Thompson guitars.
I am SUPER impressed with all of their guitars. All of them had a great openness to their sound. Very responsive. One guitar in particular caught my attention a dread made with Granadillo back and sides. It has the shimmer of Rosewood...yet some of the solid clear trebles of a good Maple.
4. Guild F55 Maple.
I have always had a deep fascination with the Iconic Gibson SJ200 maple. So many great recordings have been made with that guitar. Penetrating trebles that cut through in such recordings as Pinball wizard and Behind Blue eyes. However, I still felt like a little something is missing. The Dynamic range always seems a bit muted for my tastes. Love the way it cuts through...just wished for a little more.
In the last couple of months there were some threads showcasing the New American Made Guilds and the jumbo Body. Guild had made some great recordings showcasing these new guitars. On the recording they sounded great...but? still those are recordings...Always nice to have verification of how it sound live. And Glen Willow has purchased a lovely 12 string and showcased a few songs.
So it was nice to get my hands on a six string jumbo Guild maple. I super impressed with the Guild F55 Maple! Strange, I believe it is a laminated arched back...But the sound was Open-Alive-dynamic and responsive. Everything I always thought was missing from Maple...this one has it.
I am a rosewood guy...and I liked the Guild Maple better than the Guild Rosewood!
5. Craneborne Audio:
This company has won awards for its great sounding preamps at a super affordable cost. I was so pleasantly surprised to find out that their Tech rep could really explain in great detail all the things that make this preamp a little bit unique and so good sounding. Plus...he is a Larrivee lover as well!
6. Schoeps new CMC1 body.
Foolishly, I missed a great opportunity to converse with Schoeps about their new body. I am about to pull the trigger and I did not know they came up with a new body until the day after I was there. Darn!
7. Music Nomad:
I love all Music Nomad products. The Winder has such a positive grip. Their Fret Oil sinks in with ease, and I love their neck rest and matt. It really makes working on my guitars a pleasure. So I am always excited to see what new products they may have introduced.
This year they brought forth a fret polishing kit. I have never given much thought to fret polishing. Luckily one of my dearest and oldest friends, a rather famous Guitar Tech, Told me that Fret Polishing can really make a difference in how smoothly the guitar plays. So I am really looking forward to learning this on my next string change.
**While seeing all the new products is great...NAMM holds a special place for myself as it is often the one time of the year where I get to see many of my great friends.
I got to go out to dinner with, Tom Anderson and all of his crew(one of the very finest Electric Tele and Strat guitar makers) & any great friend Benny Rodriquez of BJR Guitars. Two of the nicest-most humble -knowledgeable guitar people on the planet!
I missed seeing Two of my great friends, Michael & Daniel Tobias of MTD basses...I was just a bit too under the weather....Hopefully I will be meeting up for dinner with him in the next few days...an after show get together.

CoffeeFan 01-19-2020 02:19 PM

The Acoustasonic Strat is just about the most butt-ugliest guitar I've ever seen:

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...gjzfj2jhro.jpg

They bombed when they were made overseas. What makes Fender think that these new ones will do any different, and at a price tag of almost five times as much?

jim1960 01-19-2020 02:31 PM

Audio-Scape introduced their 500 series version of the LA3A compressor. All the other gear Audio-Scape makes gets high marks so I have high hopes that these will as well. It's not for sale yet but it looks like it won't be too long now.

https://i.imgur.com/RZNZraM.jpg?1

tippy5 01-19-2020 02:41 PM

Thank you for the NAMM info. I was invited to go for the first time. But my knee is out and had to pass. I resonated with many of your findings. I will look into the Guild Maple 55's. Nothing like a crisp, yet lush, maple tone.

Super props for Tom Anderson Guitar Works. Nothing is as easy to play. I have been to their factory many times. Feel confident that they are super responsive to all customers. I have bought 100 electrics and nothing comes close.

Going to enjoy the LL Baggs research coming ahead.

AcousticDreams 01-19-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 6269539)
Audio-Scape introduced their 500 series version of the LA3A compressor. All the other gear Audio-Scape makes gets high marks so I have high hopes that these will as well. It's not for sale yet but it looks like it won't be too long now.

https://i.imgur.com/RZNZraM.jpg?1

Tell me more jim1960. This looks very nice. What will it sell for?