The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What I think of DR Sunbeam strings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159930)

imwjl 07-27-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A027298 (Post 1912469)
So I pulled another low E from a second set of sunbeams that I had and this time I tried not cutting the string first, but instead I fed the string through the tuner then pulled it back to where I would get the correct amount of wraps on the post, then tuned it up and cut the excess off. Sounded great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A027298 (Post 1912469)
So I start playing and notice some black specs on the high E and B strings. I slide my fingers over them and you can feel them. Like little bumps. I tried picking them off but they were on there pretty good. I'm sending the strings back to Mike at Strings and Beyond so he can take a look at them. At this point I don't know what to think. The first set I ever bought were fine and I really liked the tone on my guitar, but since then I've had nothing but trouble. Anyone else had similar problems or just me? Tom

First I would say that you're not following instructions is not DR's fault. You need to install round core strings per the instructions and with the care stated in the instructions. I've noticed that all brands of round core strings can take some hours sitting on the guitar at tension until the strings seem balanced. My guess is because the windings more over the core easily.

Second would be a suggestion to contact DR. I had a set of Rare that had a dud string (was put on correctly) and they shipped a replacement right away.

Good luck.

jaymarsch 07-27-2009 12:17 PM

And speaking of DR Sunbeams...

...not that I am trying to hijack the thread, but if anyone who uses them can also clarify something about the guages, I would be grateful. I usually use standard light strings (12-54) and I play in some dropped tunings (CGCGCD). If I wanted to try out the DRs, would I need to get a higher guage in the DR Sunbeams to have the right tension? I have heard that they are different than the usual guage strings but is that just in feel or tension as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jayne

jaymarsch 07-27-2009 12:23 PM

Thanks, Paul!

Glennwillow 07-27-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lofapco (Post 1912495)
...I may try a set of 13's on my Advanced Jumbo soon as I think they will feel more like 12's when playing but still drive the top a bit more on the Dread size guitars.

Paul,

I have been using the DR Sunbeam "medium-heavy" (13's) strings on my Gibson AJ and they sound very good. I originally used light gauge, which sounded OK, but the heavier Sunbeams really do sound outstanding on this guitar. Really brought it to life. To me, they feel heavier than light gauge strings but they are quite a bit easier than the typical medium string set.

Regards, Glenn

imwjl 07-27-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymarsch (Post 1912491)
...not that I am trying to hijack the thread, but if anyone who uses them can also clarify something about the guages, I would be grateful. I usually use standard light strings (12-54) and I play in some dropped tunings (CGCGCD). If I wanted to try out the DRs, would I need to get a higher guage in the DR Sunbeams to have the right tension? I have heard that they are different than the usual guage strings but is that just in feel or tension as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jayne

I asked DR customer service when I first saw the descriptions on packages. My response from DR was to buy by the diameter of the strings for tension that would be comparable to other brands.

EucalyptusMint 07-27-2009 07:53 PM

Quick question,
the packaging says to wind the strings slowly. How slow is slowly? Should I wind them by hand then?
When I tried them (medium-heavy) the bass response seemed dead, so I think I might have messed up somehow.