The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   AGF App Or Just Bookmark? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625996)

Wadcutter 09-14-2021 10:07 AM

AGF App Or Just Bookmark?

Was wondering which format people prefer to access the AGF. I just tried the app for the first time and I much prefer using just a bookmark and desktop icon to the actual app. Seems to me the app is more difficult to navigate around and doesn’t give you the great opening page the simple bookmark does.

619TF 09-14-2021 10:10 AM

Apps have a way of leaching and leaking info. I much prefer the desktop version for many reasons including older eyes and privacy concerns. YMMV.

Wadcutter 09-14-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 619TF (Post 6809117)
Apps have a way of leaching and leaking info. I much prefer the desktop version for many reasons including older eyes and privacy concerns. YMMV.

Didn’t know about the leaching and leaking issue with apps. Thanks.

619TF 09-14-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 6809141)

They ask for "permissions" to collect data and access things on your phone. Of course that's a loaded term because if you don't "consent" you can't use the app.

Dru Edwards 09-14-2021 01:05 PM

I use my Chrome browser on my laptop. I just type "ac" as the url and it autofills it for me and loads the page.

valleyguy 09-15-2021 09:17 AM

Tapatalk is nice, lets you load photos right from your phone.

blackie51 09-15-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

I just type "ac" as the url and it autofills it for me and loads the page.
Yup, this.

Tom

TBman 09-15-2021 03:57 PM

I use a web browser, both on my desktop and phone. I like to see member's signatures and I can't see them in the app on my phone.

birdsong 09-15-2021 08:29 PM

I much prefer my laptop for just about everything like AGF.

As soon as I put my cursor into the URL bar, my history shows up to the "top 6" visited sites. AGF is #3 ha ha ha. So no bookmark needed.

Perhaps therapy, or some other interests ...... but no bookmark!

John

KevWind 09-16-2021 08:22 AM

I have occasionally used the App on my iPad like when waiting at the tire store or something .

But at home I prefer my laptop I simply have AGF as one of the bookmarks in my Chrome toolbar and just click on the icon.

Dirk Hofman 09-16-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 6809141)

Well, leaking info is not so much an issue with apps versus desktop or rather browser based sites. It’s an issue with companies which create apps with privacy issues, or who create financial models based on getting your personal info. Bots crawl this site all the time, scraping information. Some are search bots indexing content, some are potentially more nefarious. If you put personal info on here, it will get picked up, regardless of the user agent (browser or app).

To the question, I tried the app and didn't care for it. I visit in the browser, whether desktop or iOS.

Dotneck 09-16-2021 11:17 AM

I've never cared for tapatalk

Dru Edwards 09-16-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman (Post 6810656)
Well, leaking info is not so much an issue with apps versus desktop or rather browser based sites. It’s an issue with companies which create apps with privacy issues, or who create financial models based on getting your personal info. Bots crawl this site all the time, scraping information. Some are search bots indexing content, some are potentially more nefarious. If you put personal info on here, it will get picked up, regardless of the user agent (browser or app).

To the question, I tried the app and didn't care for it. I visit in the browser, whether desktop or iOS.

Dirk - how did you make out with always getting logged off the AGF?

FrankHudson 09-16-2021 02:05 PM

Conventional web browser on conventional computer for me.

I want to type too many long-winded replies to look at the AGF on a tablet much less a smartphone.

Dirk Hofman 09-16-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 6810897)
Dirk - how did you make out with always getting logged off the AGF?

I don't have that issue. I mean it's happened in the past, but so rarely that it's not a thing for me. Probably usually due to me clearing cookies.

Maybe another Dirk was having that?