The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Stephen Kinnaird 2021 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603069)

nacluth 01-05-2021 12:25 PM

Stephen Kinnaird 2021

Congratulations on making it to 2021! We're ready to start the year off right by giving you some videos to watch. The first one is our first dreadnought in the 41 years of Steve's building career, and the second is a classical-inspired all-American woods CS. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for looking!

iim7V7IM7 01-05-2021 12:43 PM

Funny, it still feel like it is month 13 of 2020...:)

Steve Kinnaird 01-05-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 (Post 6596340)
Funny, it still feel like it is month 13 or 2020...:)

Ain’t that the truth!

nacluth 01-05-2021 03:42 PM

Here’s some pictures of the Red Spruce/Black Walnut CS. The whole guitar is from America save the Paua in the rosette that was manufactured by Kevin Ryan in California. Waverly tuners, Jescar fretwire, Claro walnut, Oregon myrtle, Sweet Bay, Basswood, Texas Ebony fretboard and bridge, and Desert Ironwood pins milled by Burton LeGeyt.

Thanks for looking.

https://i.postimg.cc/tygWynvG/41-F40...783074-AC2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ysMZFQ17/75-BF3...-B95-F2-F0.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/1m3n9bHr/183-F9...F655-E3936.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/WTFZqLP9/214-DB...61-DB3-EF3.jpg

BlackKeys36 01-05-2021 03:57 PM

Beautiful! Love the maple backstrip in line with the maple in the laminate neck.

Steve Kinnaird 01-05-2021 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 (Post 6596512)
Beautiful! Love the maple backstrip in line with the maple in the laminate neck.

Thanks John, but actually that is Curly Oregon Myrtle. It paired nicely with the Black Walnut, with a bit less contrast than Maple.
The Curly maple is the small purfling line that pops up here and there.

Steve

j. Kinnaird 01-06-2021 05:48 AM

Mmmm, tasty new year intro. Beautiful guitars. I especially like the walnut/Myrtle trimmed guitar. Also the carols were just great.

Steve Kinnaird 01-06-2021 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird (Post 6596888)
Mmmm, tasty new year intro. Beautiful guitars. I especially like the walnut/Myrtle trimmed guitar. Also the carols were just great.

Hey thanks, brother, glad you dropped by.

Steve

Carpinteria 01-06-2021 06:51 AM

Both guitars are beautiful and sound great! I do enjoy your playing, Steve. Thanks for sharing; what a great way to start the year. Dave

TomB'sox 01-06-2021 09:29 AM

Congrats Kinnaird West! Two beautiful looking and sounding guitars. That Dred is pretty amazing fellas, you may just want to build a few more of those!

Nemoman 01-06-2021 10:32 AM

Awesome guitars, you guys--dig the looks and sound of both of them.

Would love to hear Allen Shadd put that dread through the paces! I'm with Tom--you guys should pump out a few more of those puppies!

Carry on with your amazing work, and Happy 2021!

Steve Kinnaird 01-06-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpinteria (Post 6596917)
Both guitars are beautiful and sound great! I do enjoy your playing, Steve. Thanks for sharing; what a great way to start the year. Dave

My thanks, Dave. You are kind in your comments and I appreciate that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6597074)
Congrats Kinnaird West! Two beautiful looking and sounding guitars. That Dred is pretty amazing fellas, you may just want to build a few more of those!

Thanks Tom. Even Billie liked the dread, and she did so against all previous biases. (Not a dread fan...) So yes, we sorta have the green light from upper management.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 6597164)
Awesome guitars, you guys--dig the looks and sound of both of them.

Would love to hear Allen Shadd put that dread through the paces! I'm with Tom--you guys should pump out a few more of those puppies!

Carry on with your amazing work, and Happy 2021!

And thank you, Kevin! Glad you stopped by—and happy 2021 to you and yours.

Steve

nacluth 01-13-2021 04:54 PM

An OM coming down the pipe.

https://i.postimg.cc/KZW9rHsF/FD6-CD...5-F1-A60-B.jpg

j. Kinnaird 01-13-2021 05:15 PM

Ah very nice B and W. Show us more.

mikealpine 01-13-2021 05:28 PM

Wow, that is some crazy and spectacular wood!

nacluth 01-14-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird (Post 6603830)
Ah very nice B and W. Show us more.

Ok. A little more.

https://i.postimg.cc/dwrfdxSr/93-DAB...2-DB28-D15.jpg

Nemoman 01-14-2021 03:41 PM

Yowzah!!!!

Carpinteria 01-14-2021 05:41 PM

What a great use of the figure of the wood! I especially liked the inner and outer rings as an accent to the center.

SJ VanSandt 01-14-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 6603818)

Naw - stop it. Photoshop, fake news. Ain't no wood that purdy.

Seriously, that's a tasty start for a new year. Beautiful work. And happy new year too - eventually.

Stan

Steve Kinnaird 01-14-2021 09:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Making a spec guitar out of wood like this is a pulse-raising adventure. It seems like a leap of faith. (An expensive one.) But every time I see it taking shape out in the shop I smile, and know someone, somewhere is going to love this.

Here—I’ll pose a question for you guys: what sort of neck would you pair with this wild set of B & W ebony? I’ve been engaged in other tasks and really haven’t thought much about this feature. All answers welcomed! Best answer wins a bucket of Texas snow.

SK

SJ VanSandt 01-15-2021 07:45 AM

neck

Something to compliment the colors but not compete with the figure. How about one-piece mahogany, stained black? Alternately, a nice solid maple neck, but without flame. Definitely no backstrip, so no stripe down the neck either. Not that I'm against them in principle - they look superb on that walnut CS, by the way - but I think you shouldn't distract the eye from that glorious back, or that stunning rosette either.

2 cents

Rmccamey 01-15-2021 08:44 AM

That is my thinking as well. There is so much light wood, and it might be hard to match the tan/sand color, I think a dark/black would be the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 6605062)
Something to compliment the colors but not compete with the figure. How about one-piece mahogany, stained black? Alternately, a nice solid maple neck, but without flame. Definitely no backstrip, so no stripe down the neck either. Not that I'm against them in principle - they look superb on that walnut CS, by the way - but I think you shouldn't distract the eye from that glorious back, or that stunning rosette either.

2 cents

Lonzo 01-15-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 6605062)

2 cents

+1 on this with the addition of maybe a black but satin/matte (not shiny) black neck as a proposal - provided the owner likes it. Optically I think it would be great.

Martz911 01-15-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

What sort of neck would you pair with this wild set of B & W ebony?
I think you might consider a one-piece Maple neck with a little stain to match some of the lighter areas of the B & W Ebony. A fully black neck may draw the eye away from the back - - if that's possible. :)

Nemoman 01-15-2021 11:02 AM

Definitely a black neck all the way with a backstrap of B&W. I'd go gloss on it too--somehow seems like it would work better than a matte one in the grand scheme of things.

Beautiful set of woods, guys--can't wait to see how it all turns out.

j. Kinnaird 01-15-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 6604622)

Wow Nice rosette. I really like the way the outer and inner bands are seem to be the same wood as the larger inner band but have a distinctness and pattern that is proportional to their width and different from the center.

You could do a maple neck with back trim, or perhaps even a solid black neck would look very distinctive. I think i would stick with the colors in the back and avoid something like mahogany or Spanish cedar. (Since you solicited advice). Maybe a spalted maple neck with black center striping. What is the binding going to be.

Tim McKnight 01-15-2021 02:00 PM

I vote for a lighter colored neck with a black sunburst fading black to lighter in the neck shaft area to black again at the peghead. Beautiful build thus far guys. Maybe a book matched BW Ebony peghead veneer from the waist’s waste.

j. Kinnaird 01-15-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 6605434)
I vote for a lighter colored neck with a black sunburst fading black to lighter in the neck shaft area to black again at the peghead. Beautiful build thus far guys. Maybe a book matched BW Ebony peghead veneer from the waist’s waste.

That’s a Good idea

Guitars44me 01-15-2021 04:04 PM

Oh yes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 6605434)

This sounds good to me too. Fantastic wood, just amazing!

Have fun

Paul

Hanter 01-15-2021 04:35 PM

If its a one-piece neck, I'd go for one that is stained fully black. If multi-piece neck, perhaps black-stained wood on the outer and center strip from the same b/w ebony.