The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Kinnaird deep bodied OM/Southeast Asian Rosewood/Lutz. Let's do this again! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449892)

David Wren 11-18-2016 05:54 PM

Looks like it's going to be another beauty!

Mark Hatcher 11-18-2016 06:23 PM

Congrats Tom,

Looks like it's off to a great start!

Mark

TomB'sox 11-18-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wren (Post 5131562)
Looks like it's going to be another beauty!

Thank you Mr. Wren, I look forward to more of your beautiful builds!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5131578)
Congrats Tom,

Looks like it's off to a great start!

Mark

Thank you Mark, I think this will blossom into a beauty.

Steve Kinnaird 11-18-2016 10:22 PM

Well...I don't know how to respond to all this kindness, except to say thank you very much! Of course, we are delighted to get to build another guitar for Tom. In all the design work, with numerous emails back and forth, he is as entertaining and just fun to work with as his more public persona suggests. It's a treat working with clients like Tom.
And then into the ring climbs Steve with this word-smithing:

Quote:

Originally Posted by theEdwinson (Post 5130728)
...everybody involved in this new project, including us spectators, will experience new frissons of gladness as the adventure unfolds.

Success!

That sent me to the dictionary too, Steve. And gave me a chill!
Thank you for your interest, friendship, and vocabulary.

Tom, you'll be glad to know the power is back on,

Steve

cigarfan 11-19-2016 05:49 AM

Oh my. Guitar building by candlelight. That can be dangerous with all that sawdust. You guys be careful.

TomB'sox 11-19-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 5131808)
Oh my. Guitar building by candlelight. That can be dangerous with all that sawdust. You guys be careful.

Haha, that is pretty much exactly what Ryan said, so I guess it was best they called it a day...that little storm must have been a little more than a little storm. I know the winds were really strong North of San Antonio also, blowing stuff around the deck of a personal friend of mine who lives down there, and that is 4 hours west of the oldest town in Texas!

invguy921 11-19-2016 07:40 AM

WOW Tom. Congratulations!! I've been really busy of late and haven't hardly even looked at the Custom area. Just stumbled onto this thread and, like everyone else, excited for you! (did I mention also ENVIOUS of you!!) This should be another stunning addition to your already amazing collection of guitars. Would love a tour of your museum some day!

One more things...I may have missed this detail, but I'm really curious what the depth of the body is going to be? When you say "deep", how deep? I've considered this idea as well and this makes me all the more interested in what you're doing.

nacluth 11-19-2016 09:02 AM

Hey Woody, are we going to see you at Memphis again? I hope so.

A standard OM depth is 4 1/8" - that gives it a lot of punch to help cut through the "orchestra." Our deep body adds 1/2" for a total depth of 4 5/8" - essentially dreadnought depth. We feel this adds quite a bit of bass response as well as a little warmth. It has been the most popular model we build for the last 5 years or so. It can do it all and sound good doing it. ;)

invguy921 11-19-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 5131936)
Hey Woody, are we going to see you at Memphis again? I hope so.

A standard OM depth is 4 1/8" - that gives it a lot of punch to help cut through the "orchestra." Our deep body adds 1/2" for a total depth of 4 5/8" - essentially dreadnought depth. We feel this adds quite a bit of bass response as well as a little warmth. It has been the most popular model we build for the last 5 years or so. It can do it all and sound good doing it. ;)

Ryan, I already have tickets to the Tommy E concert :up:. I plan to be in Memphis earlier than last time and stay longer :). Looking for someone to come and hang out with, and if I don't find anyone I'll be hangin' out with you guys if you'll have me :guitar:

Looking forward to seeing you again. You have been quite a blessing to me, I value your friendship.

nacluth 11-19-2016 08:37 PM

That's good to hear. I'll have to work up my rendition of "Hail, Hail, The Gang's All Here" before June

DenverSteve 11-19-2016 09:52 PM

Congrats. I'm sure it will be great.

TomB'sox 11-20-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorSteve (Post 5132571)
Congrats. I'm sure it will be great.

Thank you, I believe you are correct.

Thank you Ryan for answering Bob. Sounds like you guys already know each other well, homecoming in Memphis?

Here is another picture just because I have it and it is snowing here on Sunday morning before Thankgiving and that does NOT make me happy...the progress of the guitar makes me happy...

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/...0sides%202.jpg

cigarfan 11-20-2016 11:13 AM

That rosewood has so much character! Can almost smell it from here as they warm it in the bending process. Mmmm!

TomB'sox 11-20-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 5132977)
That rosewood has so much character! Can almost smell it from here as they warm it in the bending process. Mmmm!

Thanks Dennis, I really like the dark linear streaks running through it!

To take advantage of that Steve had this idea and I quote "for the bindings let's use what little bit we have left of Celebes Ebony, an Ebony from the same region as Macassar Ebony, only from a different island--Sulawesi. Instead of tan/black coloration like Macassar, it is brown/black/red--subtle, but discernible. Looks great against the rosewood". Since this ebony also comes from southeast Asia, we are keeping at least the back, sides, bindings, and purfs all from the same region...my last Kinnaird had something from every continent other than Antarctica....

That is one of those little details that make these individual luthier instruments so awesome. I have not see it, but trust Steve to know what he is talking about! In fact a search for Celebes Ebony brings up something completely different than guitar woods....just sayin.

mikealpine 11-20-2016 09:00 PM

Tom, I've been relatively absent of late, spending more time with electrics than acoustics, and just busy in general, but this is looking awesome! Will there be bevels? I think Woody/Mike asked about the depth of this deep body guitar, what do you expect that to be? This is going to be a lot of fun to check in on. Any projected completion date?