The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Battle of wood vs carbon travel guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329316)

Doubleneck 02-13-2014 06:35 AM

Battle of wood vs carbon travel guitars

I am getting delivered a Taylor GS Mini Holden Village Friday. Its my first wood acoustic guitar in 20 years? The guitar is actually done for a charitable cause which is very cool, and says a lot about the Company. That aside it will be a battle of travel guitars the Rainsong Parlor vs the Taylor GS Mini. $1900 vs $550. Is that fair no but it should be fun.

Clydeslide 02-13-2014 07:19 AM

I would love a carbon travel guitar.

jdinco 02-13-2014 07:55 AM

I've owned several GS Minis and played the Parlor several times, not much of a battle to me. The RS by a mile, but it's for a good cause, so I hope you enjoy that Mini a ton !! Some pics maybe?

kramster 02-13-2014 05:16 PM

I think if you smack them together we all know which "wood" not win...had to say it sorry

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 02-13-2014 05:49 PM

You will love the GS Mini Steve, but I doubt you will travel with it now that you have the Rainsong Parlor. I have one of the first GS Mini's that came out and although I love it, I travel with my CF guitars.

Doubleneck 02-13-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales (Post 3820293)
You will love the GS Mini Steve, but I doubt you will travel with it now that you have the Rainsong Parlor. I have one of the first GS Mini's that came out and although I love it, I travel with my CF guitars.

I think you are right, it will probably end up being my grandchild's guitar. I think the Mini is cool for what it is but I can see it being a awesome kids guitar as well. My son plays and his son only 3 now is fasinated by guitars.

jdinco 02-13-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 3820409)
I think you are right, it will probably end up being my grandchild's guitar. I think the Mini is cool for what it is but I can see it being a awesome kids guitar as well. My son plays and his son only 3 now is fasinated by guitars.

That would be an AWESOME gift for any child!

Captain Jim 02-13-2014 08:57 PM

I thought I would sell the GSmini after getting the RainSong Shorty. Can't do it. I love the sound and playability of the Mini. You may have to get another one for the grandkid. ;)

Jim

Doubleneck 02-14-2014 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 3820557)
I thought I would sell the GSmini after getting the RainSong Shorty. Can't do it. I love the sound and playability of the Mini. You may have to get another one for the grandkid. ;)

Jim

He's only three so I have some time

Captain Jim 02-14-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 3820866)
He's only three so I have some time

Ahhh... nice that you'll be able to "play it in" for him for a decade or so. :) And then buy him another guitar, 'cause you still won't want to give up the Mini. :D

Best wishes,
Jim

Doubleneck 02-15-2014 10:09 AM

Well it arrived last night. The comparison is on, it's actually more interesting than you may think. That are both similar in size. Both could be my travel guitars. Pits wood against carbon in the real world of what the consumer has as choices. This is my first new wood acoustic guitar in 20 years. So I am not coming at this with a wood bias. Let the games begin! Give me the weekend with both.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...pse21ac704.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps2abd50df.jpg

Captain Jim 02-15-2014 10:21 AM

Maybe it's just me, but they look happy together. ;)

Congrats! And, we'll be looking forward to the results of the "play-off".

Jim

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 02-15-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 3822863)
Well it arrived last night. The comparison is on, it's actually more interesting than you may think. That are both similar in size...

Actually Steve the GS Mini has a GS shape 00 size body which is quite a bit larger than the traditional Martin 12-fret 0 shape body used on the RS Parlor. You'll notice the GS Mini doesn't some close to fitting in the Parlor case. I actually discussed the possibility of a Rainsong shaped like a GS Mini with Ashvin, but the NS neck would have made it too big.

BTW, you might be interested to know that the GS Mini started as a Ukulele on paper than grew in to a travel guitar sized somewhere between the Baby and Big Baby. The bigger body gives it it's full tone while the short neck (23.5" scale) allows the overall size to remain travel friendly.

Enjoy your new Mini! :up:

Doubleneck 02-15-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales (Post 3822915)
Actually Steve the GS Mini has a GS shape 00 size body which is quite a bit larger than the traditional Martin 12-fret 0 shape body used on the RS Parlor. You'll notice the GS Mini doesn't some close to fitting in the Parlor case. I actually discussed the possibility of a Rainsong shaped like a GS Mini with Ashvin, but the NS neck would have made it too big.

BTW, you might be interested to know that the GS Mini started as a Ukulele on paper than grew in to a travel guitar sized somewhere between the Baby and Big Baby. The bigger body gives it it's full tone while the short neck (24" scale) allows the overall size to remain travel friendly.

Enjoy your new Mini! :up:

Scale on Mini is 23.5 was just reading the brochure as you posted above. The two are different guitars but still fun to compare because they are both small and can be travel guitars. Both have stripped backs!

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 02-15-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 3822995)
Scale on Mini is 23.5 was just reading the brochure as you posted above. The two are different guitars but still fun to compare because they are both small and can be travel guitars.

Yes, of course it's 23.5" scale, please excuse the typo. Have fun Steve!