The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Outdoor Guitar PreOrders Oct 1st (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558566)

Fixedgear60 09-22-2019 03:37 PM

Outdoor Guitar PreOrders Oct 1st

Hi all,

Outdoor Uke just announced a guitar. See link
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2uQyV0H...d=srq6l2dm4ewp

Looks interesting... Evan... will be nylon strings!!

Thoughts... love their ukes... wonder the price point?

Guest 928 09-22-2019 06:17 PM

Fixed;

Went to the site, found only a picture, no information, nothing nylon. And I'm not on Facebook. Are you toying with me, setting a nylon hook?

David Eastwood 09-22-2019 06:28 PM

Guitar, or guitalele?

Acousticado 09-22-2019 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for you, Evan.....

Captain Jim 09-22-2019 07:20 PM

20" scale?? Yeah, I'm thinking more guitalele.

AZLiberty 09-22-2019 10:11 PM

A couple years ago they were discussing a 6-string nylon on a baritone/bass uke body, possibly with a swapable neck.

Steve Christens 09-22-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 6169297)
20" scale?? Yeah, I'm thinking more guitalele.

Interestsing scale length. Guitarleles are usually about 17" scale length, and tuned A to A with nylon strings. The Tacoma Papoose was a 19.1" scale length, and was also tuned A to A, using steel strings. A terz guitar is usually between 20 and 22" in scale length, and is tuned a minor third (3 frets) above standard, or G to G, with steel strings. A baritone uke is usually 19" scale length, and tuned like the top 4 strings of a guitar (D, G, B and E) with nylon strings.

Can't tell from the photo, but given the construction, I would expect this to be limited to nylon strings just to keep the tension down. So with that scale length, perhaps a baritone guitarlele?

ac 09-23-2019 01:59 AM

Overall length seems to be a bit on the awkward side for travel, i.e., suitcase sized. My guess is it is at least 30" long.

If, like the KLOS, you can unbolt and reassemble the neck easily, that might then be useful for occasional travel.

Price unknown?

Fixedgear60 09-23-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 6169257)
Fixed;

Went to the site, found only a picture, no information, nothing nylon. And I'm not on Facebook. Are you toying with me, setting a nylon hook?

Hi Evan,

Not teasing you..... OU is promising more pictures and info ... latter this week ...:)

I am sure not competition for higher end CFs but always loved there ukes because of the durability, quality and frankly cost... As an instrument goes beyond $300.... I find it really hard to just throw it around... even if it can take it. Seeing the rock climber with a Sable (3k) strapped to his back makes me more worried for the guitar then the climber ;-)

Will see if it lives up to expectations..... Love the "Gibson" round shoulders look already!!!

Steve Christens 09-30-2019 12:08 PM

Just got a promo email wrt early orders, with more info. The standard tuning is sure interesting. Seems like it's essentially a baritone uke with two extra strings.

Carbon fiber polycarbonate.
Bolt-on neck.
20" scale length.
30.75" long x 10" wide x 3.75" deep.
Approximately 3 pounds.
E-A-D-G-B-E Tuning.
1.75" width at the nut.
D'Addario XT coated bass strings with fluorocarbon treble strings.
Precision geared tuning machines.
Individual string compensated saddle.
Outdoor Guitar™ Nickel $345.
Outdoor Guitar™ Gold $355.
Made in the Bend, Oregon USA.

Earl49 09-30-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Christens (Post 6175042)
20" scale length.
E-A-D-G-B-E Tuning.
1.75" width at the nut.

20" scale is pretty typical for a baritone ukulele. You could call this a six string baritone uke and probably be more accurate than a guitalele. It's an interesting concept and I wish them well, but I have little interest in something with a scale length that short and with six strings. Kinda crowded for my sausage fingers.

I liked the Outdoor Uke concept - until I actually played one. It was very heavily built and therefore rather quiet overall. Great price for something so durable....

ac 09-30-2019 01:59 PM

Waiting to hear more how players like it, what it sounds like, and how easy is it to take the neck off for travel.

Steve Christens 09-30-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac (Post 6175116)
Waiting to hear more how players like it, what it sounds like, and how easy is it to take the neck off for travel.

Well if it's built like their ukes, the neck and back are probably one piece, so no, the neck won't be removable. As for sound, the ukes sound quite nice, but are not very loud, so I'd expect the same from this "six string baritone".

Guest 928 09-30-2019 06:24 PM

When I was hot on the trail of a suitcase guitar I built four. Each had a 19" scale and was a total of 24" long. They fit in a suitcase, were great to travel with, and projected nicely for song writing or practice. They were tuned and sounded like a regular guitar.

I sent the four to Alistair. But he said "no." Which was probably wise from his point of view because he had already pursued a small travel guitar with the X5 and was moving toward larger instruments. He also felt that there was little market for such a guitar and that it would be prohibitively expensive in carbon fiber. His decision was also good for me in that I am not traveling much now-a-days and have no need for such a small instrument.

Outdoor Uke could produce and sell a suitcase guitar at a reasonable price. It may be that the Outdoor Guitar is a 6 string Baritone Uke. Not having played or listened to the new Outdoor instrument I can't assess its sound--I hope it's good.

David Eastwood 10-01-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Christens (Post 6175224)
Well if it's built like their ukes, the neck and back are probably one piece, so no, the neck won't be removable. As for sound, the ukes sound quite nice, but are not very loud, so I'd expect the same from this "six string baritone".

Your own post (#10 above) mentions that the neck is bolt-on :)

Doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be easily removable, of course.