The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   at home amp (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547512)

eyesore 05-22-2019 05:57 PM

at home amp

Hi i'm looking for an "at home" TUBE amp. i had the super champ but it just wasn't me. $500/ or so . something i can play nice and clean with my Tele, Don't like these modeling amps. just keep it simple. maybe i'll add a delay pedal for some slapback.thanks.

Steve DeRosa 05-22-2019 06:28 PM

At-home amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

I have one (as well as the big brother V22) and IME it's the best $200 (less - often far less - on Coupon/Holiday Sale Days) you'll ever spend if you've got a single-coil/mini-bucker guitar - has that Class-A "sweet dark-chocolate" tone associated with the early-50's tweed Fenders and pre-Top Boost Vox AC combos, digi-verb is as good as it gets for a built-in, and it's easy to customize the tone/headroom to your specs with some carefully chosen tubes. A lot going on for essentially chump change, and if you're a guitar-cable-amp kinda guy doing studio work and coffeehouse/small-venue gigs it may be all the amp you'll ever need...

perttime 05-23-2019 12:18 AM

There's many ways to go for a a home amp. Some feel that a Twin is just right. I'm happier with a much smaller amp: 1 watt is quite enough. Mine is a Marshall DSL1 combo. If I want to keep volume down, I plug a tube preamp into some computer speakers.

wrathfuldeity 05-23-2019 04:14 AM

The 4 at home odd ball amps, all of these were waay under your budget and even with some bench time. Also a stable of spkrs ranging from 4-12"...btw spkr size and efficiency is a critical factor in helping to deal with at home volume issues. All of these odd and humble amps are surprisingly great...fun to take to jams and watch jaws drop and the drooling begin.

1950's Single ended 6L6 recordplayer with mic circuit and spkr in the lid (conversion...like a tweed Princeton on steroids...slight voice mod and caps by Skip Simmons).

1960's Single ended el84 recordplayer with mic circuit and spkr in the lid...found for $25; just needed a small diy patch to a very small tear to the cone. It blows away any Blues Jr/Pro.

1949 pp6V6 monoblock hifi...plug in the pedal board right into the octal PI...great pedal board platform...and can run at whisper/tv level/bedroom volumes...or NOT.

Most recently, a MuchXS 57 champ clone (5f1) scored off CL

roylor4 05-23-2019 07:54 AM

+1 with Steve

I bought the Bugera V5 for small gigs and couldn't be happier with it.

It doen't have a whole lot of clean headroom though, so it depends on how much clean volume you need. I play Classic Rock and Blues mostly so clean headroom isn't something I need often.

If you like SUPER clean the Vox MV50 Clean head and cab are worth looking at it is a Hybrid amp though.

A Pro Jr. would give you plenty of volume and clean headroom at home levels.

You should at least test drive the little Bugera. It's a well built little tank of an amp.

rmp 05-23-2019 08:38 AM

If you have not tried a Fender Blues Jr. may be you should look in that direction.

hurling frootmi 05-23-2019 11:20 AM

Blues Jr. or a Pro Jr. would be good choices. I have a Super Champ XD that I record with and replaced the 12AX7 with a 12AT7 which gave me a lot more range with the volume knob. The Super Champ XD is hybrid though.

redir 05-23-2019 12:34 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'at home?' If you want to be quiet then getting an amp with a headphone jack is a good idea. Also having one that has a switch with options to lower the wattage too.

A couple of amps taht come to mind for reasonable lower volume home use as well as having the abilty to go on stage with are the Vox AC15 or Blues Junior. Both are 15 watt combo's. Another consideration is the Peavey classic line. The classic 20 and 30 are really solid amps with great tube tone.

Sonics 05-23-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyesore (Post 6068334)
Hi i'm looking for an "at home" TUBE amp. i had the super champ but it just wasn't me. $500/ or so . something i can play nice and clean with my Tele, Don't like these modeling amps. just keep it simple. maybe i'll add a delay pedal for some slapback.thanks.

How big's your home, and do you like your neighbors?

I just bought one of these and the matching 8' cab for the bedroom. I thought it was a 'cute' toy but now I'm starting to regret it. IT'S VERY LOUD!

10 watts, 1 tube and weighs 2lbs. No reverb, no effects loop. Simple!

Oh yeah, did I mention it's loud.

MIGAS79 05-23-2019 01:41 PM

I sure do like my Fender Bassbreaker 15. Sounds fabulous with a Tele. My neighbors would agree I could easily have gotten by with the 7 watt version at home. The built-in three gain stages all sound good. Very good digital reverb as well. I paid around $425 for a used one. I think it would be great for someone who doesn’t have pedals for distortion but wants a bit of break up. The bright switch is a great feature as well. I would agree you cannot go wrong with the Blues Jr.

eyesore 05-23-2019 03:43 PM

these are good suggestions . i do want tubes . don't like these digital amps with too many knobs! that Bugera V5 looks interesting. didn't get too many good write ups , but i take that with a grain of salt. i like something very clean with REVERB and i'll use a digital delay for mostly home and coffee shop use.

LyleGorch 05-23-2019 05:22 PM

Get a blackface Vibro Champ off reverb and be done with it. I have a 65 original, only changed caps and plug. Perfect bedroom amp.

seannx 05-23-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyesore (Post 6069056)
these are good suggestions . i do want tubes . don't like these digital amps with too many knobs! that Bugera V5 looks interesting. didn't get too many good write ups , but i take that with a grain of salt. i like something very clean with REVERB and i'll use a digital delay for mostly home and coffee shop use.

I have a Bugera V5 Infinium, too. Great little amp at a low price. Check the dates on the reviews, and you'll see that most of the negative ones are for older models. The reverb is very good, and with the switch at 5 watts it puts out a surprising amount of sound. For playing at home, the .1 and 1 watt settings are just fine.

Steel and wood 05-23-2019 09:41 PM

Blues Junior!

BoneDigger 05-23-2019 10:35 PM

My favorite, by far, is the Princeton Reverb, but I also like the Vox AC10.