The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone here boils their guitar strings? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545454)

silverspear 04-29-2019 04:47 AM

Anyone here boils their guitar strings?

http://www.get-tuned.com/boiling-guitar-strings.php

Something to think about...

last thought, does it work on elixirs??

JayBee1404 04-29-2019 04:56 AM

Not me. My guitars cost thousands of pounds (each), a set of strings costs a few pounds. Iím not spoiling the sound of an expensive guitar by being a skinflint over strings. Thatís my personal philosophy. Others may differ, and thatís fine AFAIC.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Rpt50 04-29-2019 04:58 AM

I used to boil my bass strings back in the 70s. I remember that it definitely worked, but I also remember that they did not keep the brighter sound as long as actual new strings.

I've never done it for guitar strings because they are so cheap.

Johny Tenthumbs 04-29-2019 05:19 AM

I tried boiling them for hours and hours, then in desperation I added different things to the pot, like carrots and potatoes. It was still the worst soup I've ever tasted.

AndrewG 04-29-2019 05:19 AM

When I was a broke kid in the 60s I would, but not any more. Sometimes it worked and the strings sounded ok for a couple more days, and sometimes they just turned black and died completely. I use Elixirs but I imagine the coating would do weird stuff if subjected to boiling water. Elixirs last for months anyway so I don't see the point.

AndrewG 04-29-2019 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny Tenthumbs (Post 6049051)
I tried boiling them for hours and hours, then in desperation I added different things to the pot, like carrots and potatoes. It was still the worst soup I've ever tasted.

Should have removed the bitter-tasting ball-ends. My mother taught me that.

Aura 04-29-2019 05:32 AM

I'd be interested to hear if anybody chooses to do this anymore.

Guitar strings are so readily available at a variety of different price points to suit most budgets that I imagine there must be noticeable beneficial reasons for someone to choose to boil and bake their old strings? If there is, i'd be curious to know more. Having said that, i'll continue to buy new strings as and when I need them.

varmonter 04-29-2019 05:41 AM

no ..but microwaving them for 3 min sure is purdy...;)

Back in the 70s we used to boil them. It works for awhile.
brightens them up a bit. But we were broke college kids.
I havnt done this since then.

String Soup. ...fodder for a new song.
Like “cold dog soup and rainbow pie.”

I don’t think it’s worth it. I don’t even wipe mine down anymore as it just doesn’t make any difference.

I change em once a year whether they need it or not.... ;)

Brucebubs 04-29-2019 06:27 AM

I can't find a pot big enough to fit my jumbo guitars.

4-string 04-29-2019 06:42 AM

30-35 years ago I used boil my bass strings.

At this point in life there's no need.

Besides, I'm a string junkie and love trying new strings all the time. :D

Howard Emerson 04-29-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-string (Post 6049084)
30-35 years ago I used boil my bass strings.

At this point in life there's no need.

Besides, I'm a string junkie and love trying new strings all the time. :D

The antithesis of what many bass players were doing back then. I remember very clearly reading about Nashville bassist/producer Norbert Putnam hating new strings, so he would take his Precision into the bathroom while he'd be showering to make sure the strings got deader quicker.

He never had fret ends sticking out, either.

HE

gfspencer 04-29-2019 07:24 AM

I have never boiled strings and I don't think I will start but I wonder what would happen if you put strings in an ultrasonic cleaner - the kind that you use for jewelry or glasses.

Tony Burns 04-29-2019 07:30 AM

The purpose of this
to make soup ?

Lkristians 04-29-2019 07:32 AM

Boil Strings?

8 minutes for Al Dente.

Rockysdad 04-29-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkristians (Post 6049126)
8 minutes for Al Dente.

Does gauge matter? :roll::roll: