The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin DRS1, thoughts? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509334)

thechariot1x 05-04-2018 01:20 AM

Martin DRS1, thoughts?

I recently won an auction on a Martin DRS1 and it arrives tomorrow! (I'm not going to lie, I feel like a little kid on Christmas). I got it for a really good price because it has fatdaddy note educational stickers on the fret board. However, I looked it up and it seems that these stickers are made to not do damage to the wood, and so that you can take them back off without leaving too much crud behind or doing damage (that's what fatdaddy claims haha, I guess we'll soon see), but if not I'll just leave them on and keep the guitar assuming that I like it. Anyway, the original plan was that I was going to fix it up and sell it (I dabble in guitar cleanup), or if I like it better than the Breedlove Passport Plus C250/SRe that I currently have I may just keep it. I have always wanted a Martin, but I am not sure how the DRS1 compares to the more classic and expensive models that are made in the USA. Does anyone have any thoughts on the DRS1 (or on the Breedlove for that matter)?

mickthemiller 05-04-2018 03:15 AM

Tried one once, quite nice. The fingerboard is richlite, a very tough material, so getting a few stickers off should be fairly simple. Use same method as pickguard removal.

Cas-v86 05-04-2018 03:45 AM

I personally tend to avoid sub ~1600$ like the plague, but I once played this (loved the 1,75 nut and 'solid ish' build. Sounded okay, but not like anything a 1000 dollar Eastman can get you.

Reviews have always been very praising though;

[I][I]As impressive as the DRS1 is visually and in terms of its presentation, nothing prepares you for the boisterous, lively tone. With its snappy, tight bass the DRS1 pitches chords with depth and soul while a bright, clear top end adds sweetness to the timbre.

Of particular note are the stirring articulate mids, which offer a likeable tone for fingerstyle, hybrid picking and flatpicking alike. Overall the DRS1 has a responsive, dynamic projection too.

Plugged in, the DRS1 has a bright, vibrant tone that, when pushed, becomes a little brittle. In truth, the Fishman system fitted is entry-level and it does little more than simply offer a usable amplified output.

The tone control doesn't have a significant effect on the output, but it does just enough to tame enthusiastic strumming. That said, the package as a whole works very well and, again, for the cost, you're getting a lot of guitar for your money.

While enjoying the strident output of the DRS1, we had to keep reminding ourselves that this Martin electro - which comes complete with a 300 series hard shell case - an MSRP of only £800, cheaper on the street. In terms of sheer value for money, not least with that iconic name on the headstock, the DRS1 is going to take some beating.

Wistah 05-04-2018 07:05 AM

I love my 000RS1. I keep it downtuned a whole step and the guitar just sings in that tuning. Enjoy the new guitar!

ManyMartinMan 05-04-2018 07:47 AM

Congratulations. The DRS1 is an excellent guitar and gets praise from a lot of those playing them. They have great playability and tone and are designed for performing guitar players to be able to afford a nice guitar. The inclusion of electronics is a bonus as well. Enjoy your new instrument and welcome to the Martin family. However use your new powers wisely....as the Martin Mystique is a slippery slope. :)

RedJoker 05-04-2018 08:22 AM

I have a 000RS1 and it's my favorite guitar. When I was shopping, I played it back to back against a 000-15m and though I did prefer the 000-15, the difference was not enough to force me to pay the price difference. Enjoy it!

GuitarDogs62 05-04-2018 09:55 AM

The DRS1 guitar is really a fun and nice sounding instrument. I recently had the neck adjusted and the action lowered. Also placed on D'Addario light strings on it. The guitar plays better than ever now and still has that nice projection in sound. Love the guitar and enjoy playing it when plugged in too. You can't beat this guitar for sound and volume in it's price range.

lossforgain 05-04-2018 10:28 AM

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I did not enjoy the DRS1 that I owned for about a week. I tried hard to like it, but the neck was extremely heavy for the instrument and made it feel very unbalanced. While the body is solid wood, it didn't give me all the resonance I felt it should. I returned the guitar and bought a used D-15M to replace it, which is what my ears and hands were really looking for. It's my go-to acoustic now.

RedJoker 05-04-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lossforgain (Post 5719795)
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I did not enjoy the DRS1 that I owned for about a week. I tried hard to like it, but the neck was extremely heavy for the instrument and made it feel very unbalanced. While the body is solid wood, it didn't give me all the resonance I felt it should. I returned the guitar and bought a used D-15M to replace it, which is what my ears and hands were really looking for. It's my go-to acoustic now.

You make a good point about the neck. At some point, I tried a Road Series guitar and it had a stratabond neck. Though I'm sure it's very stable, it was really heavy and I didn't like it. My 2016 000RS1 does NOT have a stratabond neck and I really like it.

It will be interesting to see what neck OP ends up with. I hope its not a stratabond.

blakey 05-04-2018 01:47 PM

The newer DRS1's have wooden necks now no? Even so nothing wrong with stratbond at all imo. Very stable. Had one on DXC1E for years. Be tempted to get a used 15 series hog for the same money as a new DRS1.

HodgdonExtreme 05-04-2018 01:54 PM

The Road Series Martins do a great job of capturing the famous Martin tone for not a lot of money. The trade off, of course, is embellishments and Mexican manufacture.

Personally, I find the tone of the DRS1 to be too earthy and dry - but I've only ever played them in the store with whatever strings Martin installs, which seem to be the ones that almost feel sticky.

I recently played a used DRS2 that sounded better than any other Martin I've ever had the pleasure to try out! I even went back to demo it again. If it weren't for the 1 11/16" nut, it would have come home with me.

Congrats on the new guitar!! Play it in good health!

HodgdonExtreme 05-04-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakey (Post 5719956)
The newer DRS1's have wooden necks now no?

Came across this quote from this thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=418355

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkeyfish
I was looking at threads about the Martin DRS1 and I noticed they have changed them. They no longer have the stratabond necks, but actually have solid mahogany necks.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new models and what their opinions may be of said new model.

I had a chance to try one last night and was a bit smitten with it. Brand new out of the box, I was told it is a 2016 model. It wasn't very loud, kinda polite. Very warm and good mids and highs. I imagine it sounding better with time.

jed1894 05-04-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme (Post 5719961)
The Road Series Martins do a great job of capturing the famous Martin tone for not a lot of money. The trade off, of course, is embellishments and Mexican manufacture.

Personally, I find the tone of the DRS1 to be too earthy and dry - but I've only ever played them in the store with whatever strings Martin installs, which seem to be the ones that almost feel sticky.

I recently played a used DRS2 that sounded better than any other Martin I've ever had the pleasure to try out! I even went back to demo it again. If it weren't for the 1 11/16" nut, it would have come home with me.

Congrats on the new guitar!! Play it in good health!

Not sure where you played the DRS2, but they come with 1 3/4 nut for over a year now. You have to look at serial numbers to know when they changed over.

jed1894 05-04-2018 02:13 PM

To the OP:

I have the brother (or sister)--DRS2. I went to buy a J-45 or higher end Martin. Came out with this one. Never happier.

buckallred 05-05-2018 01:08 AM

I have a DRS2. Mahogany neck. Killer guitar for the money. Really enjoy the sound and playability. You will love it!!