The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Getting my guitar signed (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654067)

BreedloveRDMH 09-18-2022 04:34 PM

Getting my guitar signed

As I get a little older I'm getting more sentimental.
I just found out the I can get the signatures of the members of one of my all time favorite bands on my guitar next week.

This is my keeper guitar so I'm not worried about resale value. So my question is .... have any of you done this? if so front or back of your guitar? Sharpie or something else ?

Thanks

Mark Stone 09-18-2022 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreedloveRDMH (Post 7089230)
As I get a little older I'm getting more sentimental.
I just found out the I can get the signatures of the members of one of my all time favorite bands on my guitar next week.

This is my keeper guitar so I'm not worried about resale value. So my question is .... have any of you done this? if so front or back of your guitar? Sharpie or something else ?

Thanks

I think that would be a good idea. It would serve up some wonderful memories in the future, and make the instrument very special! :)

Realbluesman 09-18-2022 04:42 PM

Since you asked, that would not work for me.

Deliberate1 09-18-2022 04:55 PM

I get the sentiment, both for and not so for.
So, perhaps a signed strap attached to the guitar would be a good alternative. We all know that "keeper" guitars sometimes pass from our hands. But a strap is so easy to keep no matter the guitar's path.
Whatever you decide, have a great experience.
David

EZYPIKINS 09-18-2022 04:58 PM

Yeah... I'm not into autographs, on pictures, napkins, and especially on guitars.

Merle Haggard once asked if I wanted an autograph, I said no, but I'd like to shake your hand.

vcs700s 09-18-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realbluesman (Post 7089235)
Since you asked, that would not work for me.

My thoughts exactly. Zero appeal for me.

fitness1 09-18-2022 05:11 PM

I think I'd buy an inexpensive instrument specifically for them to autograph, so it could be hung on the wall if I so choose.

L20A 09-18-2022 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 7089249)
I think I'd buy an inexpensive instrument specifically for them to autograph, so it could be hung on the wall if I so choose.

THIS^^^^^^^

Or,
Have them all sign a quality piece of paper that you could glue inside the guitar.

I have seen too many times that the signatures fade or rub off and leave ugly smears on the guitar.
I also like the idea of having a strap signed instead of the guitar.

grandstick 09-18-2022 05:24 PM

My son has a MIM Stratocaster that I gave him for Christmas several years ago. He has taken it to several concerts. So far, it has been signed by Tommy Emmanuel, Adrian Belew, Mike Stern, and Eric Johnson.

He doesn't play it. It hangs on the wall, next to signed posters and photos of himself with the artists.

In the case of this guitar, he brings an enamel paint pen for these signatures. The paint is much more durable than a Sharpie.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about the appearances of my guitars (only that they function the way I want them to), but I can't see having anyone sign any of them.

Osage 09-18-2022 05:57 PM

Back of the headstock. You'll know it's there and will get to see it every time you play. It'll make it easier for the next owner to ignore and they won't have to mar up the finish on the top when they go to remove it.

rllink 09-18-2022 06:05 PM

Do it, what the heck. If you don't you'll always wish you did. It's a guitar, not your wife getting their names tattooed on her back. Take the one you want. I haven't done it but I've never had the opportunity. But if Keith Richards or Joe Walsh wanted to sign my guitar, I would tell them to sign it big.

buddyhu 09-18-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 7089249)

This would be my choice too.

A guitar that I play regularly would risk the degrading of the signatures as it gets exposed to sunlight, body oils, and general wear and tear.

BluesKing777 09-18-2022 06:46 PM

Well......... ;)

A number of years ago, I picked up a beautiful 1993 Lowden S35 that nobody wanted to buy in a second hand instrument (pawn?) shop......and lots of people here on the AGF turned their noses up!

The previous owner had it signed by Tommy Emmanuel and his brother Phil Emmanuel.

Apart from getting a truly incredible guitar for not much.....traded others I was going to sell...... since then I have done a number of Tommy Emmanuel courses and books and....bought 4 Maton 808 guitars, similar to what Tommy plays live, but all different models and timbers - with the sensational Maton AP5-Pro pickup system for plugging direct (internal mic plus pickup)......

Phew!

Here 'tis:

https://i.imgur.com/CEmbVV0.jpg

BluesKing777.

The Bard Rocks 09-18-2022 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deliberate1 (Post 7089241)
I get the sentiment, both for and not so for.
So, perhaps a signed strap attached to the guitar would be a good alternative. We all know that "keeper" guitars sometimes pass from our hands. But a strap is so easy to keep no matter the guitar's path.
Whatever you decide, have a great experience.
David

That's a good alternative. I'd go for that (maybe). Certainly not for any autographs on my guitar. Hey, suppose one of the band members turned out to be a child molester, or something equally horrible - then you'd be tuck with that to look at. And your butt would be sore from kicking it.

Bridgepin 09-18-2022 07:48 PM

It's your guitar, you need to do what you think is right for you. Why even consider what others might do? If that is something you would like to do by all means go for it.