The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "Englishman in New York" (Sting) - walking bass fingerstyle arrangement (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638249)

Dustinfurlow 01-27-2022 12:47 PM

"Englishman in New York" (Sting) - walking bass fingerstyle arrangement

Hey AGF,

Had a ton of fun rearranging this tune recently. I had a few questions already about how to arrange in this fashion, and for these kind of covers I always start with learning the chord structure and melody first, very slowly, then work out an arrangement I can sing or hum to - which helps me establish melodic phrasing in between chord movements/rhythm - then the last step is usually the bass lines and fancy embellishments on top (harmonics/slides/vibratos). Once the map is figured out, its all about repetition, until the point where you dont have to hyper focus and muscle memory can do it's job. Hope this makes sense and can provide some inspiration!

One take, no EQ or compression, just a great guitar made by Rory Dowling and co. and a groovey song. Feel free to share if you enjoyed. Always grateful to share music here, you can find more arrangements and original tunes on the Youtube channel.

All the very best,
D

Glennwillow 01-27-2022 04:27 PM

Hi Dustin!

Man, that last chord was something! :guitar::up:

Well done, great arrangement, and some great playing! Very enjoyable! :)

- Glenn

cedartop52 01-27-2022 05:04 PM

Wonderful! Also inspiring to learn more about your process too. Thanks, Dan

SingingSparrow 01-27-2022 08:11 PM

well played, Dustin; thanks for sharing. it is always a pleasure to listen to you play but i particularly appreciate your summary of your process. sometimes trying to figure out the creative process is like interrogating a fast departing smoke.

ReneAsologuitar 01-27-2022 08:19 PM

Hi D,
Wonderful work. Very inspiring, and truly pleasant to the ear.
Thanks for sharing.
Rene

Dustinfurlow 01-28-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6917892)
Hi Dustin!

Man, that last chord was something! :guitar::up:

Well done, great arrangement, and some great playing! Very enjoyable! :)

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn, the capo and short scale sure help with this tune! The chord is x24630

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedartop52 (Post 6917924)
Wonderful! Also inspiring to learn more about your process too. Thanks, Dan

My pleasure :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingingSparrow (Post 6918097)
well played, Dustin; thanks for sharing. it is always a pleasure to listen to you play but i particularly appreciate your summary of your process. sometimes trying to figure out the creative process is like interrogating a fast departing smoke.

Thats a great way to describe it for sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReneAsologuitar (Post 6918106)
Hi D,
Wonderful work. Very inspiring, and truly pleasant to the ear.
Thanks for sharing.
Rene

Thank you for listening, cheers!

Aimelie 01-28-2022 01:25 PM

Wonderfully wonderful with awesome sauce! (A certain word that is rightfully used a lot already in the comments on this piece.)

I truly enjoyed the dickens out if this and am delighted you shared, Dustin. Just fantastic!

:)

islandguitar 01-28-2022 01:57 PM

Incredible playing and arranging, Dustin!! Geeezzz that was good!
Thanks for sharing......I do recognize that final chord from one of your other originals.......always loving it!!
Take care,
Fred

acousticland 01-28-2022 03:39 PM

excellent work.
No words.
In italian we say: perdirindindina.

jklotz 01-28-2022 04:40 PM

Sounds great man!

lpa53 01-28-2022 08:14 PM

Wow! Absolutely loved it!

SprintBob 01-29-2022 10:34 AM

That looked like so much fun. What a great interpretation of one of Sting’s iconic songs.

rémy64 01-29-2022 11:44 AM

Nice arrangement, excellent Dustin

Dustinfurlow 01-29-2022 03:21 PM

Thank you much for the kind words, guys. Listening back to this I definitely could've gotten certain sections cleaner. Was in a rush to share this because of the excitement and patience ran out :)

rick-slo 01-29-2022 04:58 PM

Good one. Nice variations in there.