The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Simple plug and play IOS microphone (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634432)

sbmackie 12-18-2021 06:23 AM

Simple plug and play IOS microphone

Hello,
Have an older Zoom Q2N. Looking for this solution: plug directly in to ipad, and not have to download an application to make it work as the microphone when recording a video for upload. A processing application isn't a show stopper, but I'd like to be able to bypass it.

IQ6? IQ7? Focusrite i-Track pocket?

Thanks
Scott

hubcapsc 12-18-2021 07:16 AM

I got a little RØDE videomic me-l with a wind sock, it plugs right into
the charging port on my ipad. I just turn on the camera app and mash
video and let it run.

Later, after downloading the resulting MOV file to my computer, I use
an editor to clip out the good part (if there is one :) ) and can also
crop and do some simple "audio normalization" to make it all loud enough
to hear. "normalization" is a buzz word I learned while trying to figure out
why my recordings were so hard to hear after uploading them to youtube.

Anywho... here's something I recorded recently with this inexpensive mic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2jYFHLm3U4

-Mike "I might be missing your point since you said 'zoom' "

dcn 12-18-2021 08:14 AM

The Apogee MiC may also be of interest here.

sbmackie 12-18-2021 08:32 AM

Thanks for those two suggestions.

I might ad: I don't do any video or audio editing; I merely want to get a better audio recording then the on board microphone on the iPad provides, and have the iPad recognize the new audio device either automatically or through a settings change when recording a video with the on board camera.

Scott

dnf777 12-18-2021 09:26 AM

Ive used an iRig IOS mic without any hassle or special app. Its a mediocre, SM58 style mic that plugs into the 1/8 jack. Probably make a lightening connector now, since round jacks followed the dodo bird…

KevinH 12-18-2021 09:58 AM

I just bought a Shure MV88+ to use with my iPhone. Works great. I tried it with my iPad Pro and it worked fine. It plugs into the Lightning connector so you can move the mic away from the iPad/iPhone as long as your cable will reach. Or if you want a mic that is fixed to the iPad/iPhone you can get the MV88 (no + at the end). It has a Lightning connector attached directly to the mic. So you're basically plugging the mic into the iPad.

There is an app that goes with the mic. But you only need to use it once to set the mic "shape" (cone, cardio, etc), sensitivity and all that. It seems to remember the settings so after the first time you can just plug it in and go.

sbmackie 12-18-2021 10:52 AM

May I ask why you got the "+" version? I guess the app software might help me tweak the sound if I ever get interested in doing that.

reeve21 12-18-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbmackie (Post 6882377)
Hello,
Have an older Zoom H4. Looking for this solution: plug directly in to ipad, and not have to download an application to make it work as the microphone when recording a video for upload. A processing application isn't a show stopper, but I'd like to be able to bypass it.

IQ6? IQ7? Focusrite i-Track pocket?

Thanks
Scott

I went down the same path.

Got tired of fiddling with the zoom, and then my desktop died, so all of my at home computing is now done on a iPad.

Any decent usb/lightning mic will work. I have the Shure MV 51.

When I want to overdub or process I use MultiTrack daw which is cheap. I never got on with GarageBand.

Plug in the mic, hit record in your audio or video app, and off you go :)

KevinH 12-18-2021 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbmackie (Post 6882625)
May I ask why you got the "+" version? I guess the app software might help me tweak the sound if I ever get interested in doing that.

The MV88 can attach directly to the iPad, but I wanted to get the mic close to my guitar with the phone further away recording video. You can still do that with the MV88 with an extension Lightning cable, but I wanted to be able to mount the mic to a boom arm. I suppose I could have cobbled something together to do that, but I wasn't sure how sturdy the Lightning connector stub is that sticks out the MV88, and one of the Amazon reviewers mentioned it snapped off when he accidentally dropped it. So that's why I got the + version.

The app is nice to let you experiment with the polar pattern etc. Once you get that figured out, there's no need to fiddle with it anymore.

The MV88+ costs more than the MV88 but it was set up better for what I needed in terms of mounting to a boom. BTW, you can get the MV88+ for $40 less by ordering one with "old packaging". Adorama has them at their site, or through Amazon. That's what I bought. As I understand it, it is identical to the "New Packaging" version - just the cardboard is different ;).

sbmackie 12-18-2021 03:39 PM

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking about distance from guitar, etc. I can see why that matters. But I may be to lazy. Do you have the problem of it dropping off as the mic source for no apparent reason, as my Q2N does every time I stop the vid recording, or the iPad goes in to sleep mode while I'm noodling out a rough patch?

Is this the one you got?
https://www.adorama.com/shmv88pluskt.html

KevinH 12-18-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbmackie (Post 6882889)
Hmmm, now you've got me thinking about distance from guitar, etc. I can see why that matters. But I may be to lazy. Do you have the problem of it dropping off as the mic source for no apparent reason, as my Q2N does every time I stop the vid recording, or the iPad goes in to sleep mode while I'm noodling out a rough patch?

Is this the one you got?
https://www.adorama.com/shmv88pluskt.html

No, I haven't had a problem with it dropping off. But I've only had it a few days now.

That looks like what I bought. I actually bought it through Amazon. But it looks the same.

Distance to the guitar matters a lot, especially if you're in a room without acoustic treatments. Made a huge difference for me.

sbmackie 12-18-2021 05:24 PM

How close are you placeing the mic? The iPad is normally about four feet from where I sit.

Scott

KevinH 12-18-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbmackie (Post 6882963)
How close are you placeing the mic? The iPad is normally about four feet from where I sit.

Scott

I think that depends to some degree on the environment you're in. Keep in mind I'm just getting started in this stuff. You might check out some of the previous threads here that talk about mic placement. After trying various positions, I ended up with the mic placed at about the neck/body join with the axis of the mic aimed generally toward the sound hole. The mic was about 9" from the guitar top. Really need to experiment with it a bit. But I found that the further from the guitar the thinner the sound became and the more room noise appeared.

Before I bought the mic I just used my phone to record video and audio with the internal phone mic. The audio was awful. Very tinny and thin. The room I use is small, roughly 12' square, with lots of bare surfaces, so a lot of reflections. Getting the mic away from the phone and close to the guitar made a huge difference.

shufflebeat 12-18-2021 07:40 PM

If you're just recording guitar you may like to consider the iRig acoustic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IK-Multimed.../dp/B014A1BVZM

I found one in a second hand shop, otherwise I wouldn't have gone looking for it but it's pretty cool.

Don't know about lightning connectors but somebody will have sussed it, I'm sure.

sbmackie 01-06-2022 08:19 PM

Irig PreHD IOS gizmo

Anybody plugged an SM-57 into this and used it to record a video on an ipad, then used garage band to tweak if so desired?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-and-interface

Guy at Sweetwater thought this might be a good idea.