The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   First Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482400)

Old Poseur 09-09-2017 06:24 AM

First Open Mic

Well my first open mic is in the books and no one was maimed or killed. I never would have guessed that at age 60, with only one year of playing under my belt, and less time singing, I'd be playing in public and looking forward to doing it again. Truth be told, I really enjoyed playing and singing songs that I love in front of an appreciative audience. Setting the goal of performing in public got me to (a) get out of my comfort zone; (b) focus my practice sessions; and (c) explore new music I might not otherwise consider playing. I also benefitted from having my teacher singing and playing next to me. Sure, duetting with her, or just having her sing harmonies, was a bit of a crutch, but since she’s a pro and has a gorgeous voice the music was all the better for it. We performed Deportee (Plane Crash at Los Gatos), Cavalry (by Mandolin Orange), and Love Minus Zero. Playing in public was fun, having friends give me a huge hug was great, but the reason I'll continue doing it is to force myself to learn more songs, gain more confidence, and become a better guitarist and singer. I have a long road ahead of me – I wish I started playing 50 years ago. One for the bucket list.

lowrider 09-09-2017 07:32 AM

Congratulations!!! I love your choice of songs. Congratulations again!!!

Old Poseur 09-09-2017 08:27 AM

Thanks! Now I'm working on three new songs for next month - I've got the bug. :guitar:

JonPR 09-09-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Poseur (Post 5470879)
Well my first open mic is in the books and no one was maimed or killed.

You're just not trying hard enough! :D

Old Poseur 09-09-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonPR (Post 5471014)
You're just not trying hard enough! :D

:D Trust me, I gave it my all! :rolleyes:

JonPR 09-09-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Poseur (Post 5471019)
:D Trust me, I gave it my all! :rolleyes:

You need to improve your aim. Then go out and slay 'em! :)

(Note to mods: I am of course speaking metaphorically... ;))

Pitar 09-09-2017 03:27 PM

Mine was a flash in the pan. It was much anticipated but only as I was closing my last song did it come to me that I'd played three songs almost unconsciously. It was as if I'd played them alone in a room.

Congrats on soloing.

Silly Moustache 09-09-2017 03:47 PM

Well done Ol' Poseur, you are welcome at my club any time. Just sign in by 7.30 for a15 minute spot.

Old Poseur 09-09-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5471350)
Well done Ol' Poseur, you are welcome at my club any time. Just sign in by 7.30 for a15 minute spot.

That's a wonderful offer, Silly Mustache, but a helluva commute. Plus I'd need an air travel case for the guitar! But if you're ever in Colorado - let's duet. ;) Hope you're doing better health-wise. Cheers, Chris.

6L6 09-09-2017 04:37 PM

FUN, ain't it!?

Congrats on making the leap. It only gets better!

Where in England is your club, Silly?

srick 09-09-2017 04:55 PM

Congrats! I did my first open mikes earlier this year (age 63) . Like you, I found that it really did push me ahead. Gotta get some more material jnder my belt before I start the new season tho'. The music comes easily- remembering the lyrics is tough!

Best,

Rick

Ps - the experience actually got me to write and perform a couple of my own songs. Who knew?

Guitar Slim II 09-09-2017 06:24 PM

That's how you learn to be a musician!

Practice is great, but performing is a whole different kind of learning, and it teaches you all the stuff you just can't get at home.

Congratulations, so glad you dug it.

Silly Moustache 09-10-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6L6 (Post 5471396)
FUN, ain't it!?

Congrats on making the leap. It only gets better!

Where in England is your club, Silly?

In the south coast - West Sussex.

Old Poseur 09-10-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5471962)
In the south coast - West Sussex.

I'm practicing, I'm practicing! :D Trying to get my fingerpicking on Joan of Arc sorted out.

6L6 09-10-2017 12:16 PM

Lovely area, Silly!