The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Mark Knopfler's 6 Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499443)

BobbyMocha 02-08-2018 07:32 AM

Mark Knopfler's 6 Guitars

I've been kind of into Mark Knopfler lately. I didn't follow his career too closely over the years, although I certainly have been aware of his work since before the BROTHERS IN ARMS album. But I've been watching some short documentaries he's done over the years for SKY. This one is probably 4 or 5 years old but it's called Guitar Stories and Mark talks about the 5 or 6 guitars he's had over the years. He's being interviewed by the episodes host and his former band mate. It's entertaining and it's given me a new appreciation for some of his later music (there's actually quite a bit of stuff he's film.) Another good one is where he talks about the making of the song Sailing To Philadelphia and how it was inspired by the actually mapping of the Mason Dixon line...but here is the GUITAR Stories episode if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/27OT_FSWrIE

SprintBob 02-08-2018 07:46 AM

I’ve watched Guitar Stories about 20 Times and it is excellent. It leads you to also believe that Knopfler is just a super nice, humble, modest human being. The segment on his Monteleone towards the end is really cool (and touching).

BobbyMocha 02-08-2018 07:48 AM

Totally agree! And yes, that Monteleone song was nice. I want one of those custom guitars by the way!!

jeanray1113 02-09-2018 12:15 AM

Thank you! I can't watch it tonight, but it's been added to my playlist.

Bob Womack 02-09-2018 07:55 AM

I had a little time on my hands yesterday afternoon and followed you link to watch it again. I like his low-key personality.

Bob

Silly Moustache 02-09-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 5633143)
I had a little time on my hands yesterday afternoon and followed you link to watch it again. I like his low-key personality.

Bob

Bob, He's British, AND northern.

We don't do loud and brash, especially us old middle-aged blokes!

Bob Womack 02-09-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5633158)
Bob, He's British, AND northern.

We don't do loud and brash, especially us old middle-aged blokes!

And hospitality seems to be universally taught in the schools or something. I found you guys a very welcoming people when I was visiting, including the Geordies. I hope that survives.

Now, go above the border and the Scots are a bit different. I went down to the front desk at my hotel near Falkirk and asked for a second pillow (shoulder injury) and the kid gave me a look like, "What, are ye a pansy or soomethin'?" It was hysterical.

Bob

madmusicltd 02-09-2018 10:50 AM

enjoyed it thanks for posting

lpa53 02-10-2018 11:56 AM

I just watched this and I think I was grinning the entire time. Just wonderful.

dbintegrity 02-12-2018 06:10 PM

Nice link ! I believe I've seen that one before. Mark Knopfler is probably one of the greatest players of our time !! At least I think so.... He doesn't use a pick, all of his solo's are finger style..nice clean solos.. not much for the dirty distortion...What a talent he is... One of my absolute Favorites... He has great feel with the guitar, not too much... not too little... just right.... And uh well, wouldn't we all like to have one of John's guitars ? John is a gentleman too.....Some years ago John invited me to his shop for a good half day to see his work and how he goes about doing his craft. What a great day that was.
Dan

gordyt 02-12-2018 06:33 PM

Thank you for sharing that link. My wife and I are watching it now!

-- gordon

808K 02-25-2018 07:52 PM

Just watched it. Sweet, sweet video. What a great player and great person.