The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Can you suggest a decent Wah pedal (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491837)

RCGuitar 12-05-2017 11:20 AM

Can you suggest a decent Wah pedal

Just bought a Dunlop original Cry Baby 2 weeks ago. It's already broken after just two gigs. Taking it back tonight. Saw lots of complaints online about same problem I experienced. Can you reccomend a good alternative. Curious as to what others are using successfully for live gigging

redir 12-05-2017 01:58 PM

Gosh I've had the same Dunlop Cry Baby since about 1995. I've always thought I could drop that thing off the roof and it would be fine. Maybe they don't make them like they used to but it's pretty much been the standard for a long time. Vox puts out a Wah, Fulltone gets good reviews, Budda, or the unique Morley design.

I have an old Morley and it's actually one of my favorites.

JeffreyAK 12-05-2017 02:01 PM

I still have an old 70's Crybaby that I've had since new, still works fine, it's bullet-proof and I used to gig with it all the time, but I didn't realize how *much* better a wah can be until I bought a Fulltone Clyde Standard. Far less added noise, more range, much better sound. All wahs are not created equal. ;)

RCGuitar 12-05-2017 02:28 PM

I appreciate the replies. I guess I'm looking for something that is currently available for sale in the marketplace. I don't have the means to hunt around for vintage. From what I have seen, lots of review disappointment on the original cry baby. I bought this two aka ago new. It's squealing, crushed my volume mid gig, and now doesn't work when you push it down. But is has a lovely squeal in the up position. I'm hesitant to swap it for the same. They don't make em like they used to. Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate the replies. Thank you!

1neeto 12-05-2017 03:03 PM

Wow I guess they don’t build them like they used to. My uncle has one from the 70’s and that thing is built like a tank!

Paleolith54 12-05-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCGuitar (Post 5558801)
I appreciate the replies. I guess I'm looking for something that is currently available for sale in the marketplace. I don't have the means to hunt around for vintage. From what I have seen, lots of review disappointment on the original cry baby. I bought this two aka ago new. It's squealing, crushed my volume mid gig, and now doesn't work when you push it down. But is has a lovely squeal in the up position. I'm hesitant to swap it for the same. They don't make em like they used to. Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate the replies. Thank you!

I had a Clyde Deluxe (Fulltone), great wah. You can't go wrong with it. Stayed on my board for years until I replaced it with...wait for it...a Crybaby Mini. Saves space on my board, sounds great, and built like a tank. And honestly, although I cetainly don't in any way doubt your story, you're nor going to find a more reliable wah than a Crybaby, at least in my experience.

aknow 12-05-2017 04:08 PM

What Jeffrey AK said: Fulltone Clyde Wah!

Dru Edwards 12-05-2017 05:37 PM

Do you know what part broke on the Dunlop Wah? Just curious.

MiG50 12-05-2017 06:58 PM

Fulltone is sort of the "top of the heap" in terms of widely-accessible wah pedals. They're a bit pricey, but worth it.

I use a standard Vox V847 wah, based on the original wah "Clyde McCoy" pedal. It's nothing special, but it does the job. Easily found on the used market for a good price, or brand new for about $100.

Scotso 12-05-2017 07:13 PM

Dunlop 535Q- adjustable wah sound, boost up to 18 db....best most configureable wah I have used.

muscmp 12-05-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotso (Post 5559113)
Dunlop 535Q- adjustable wah sound, boost up to 18 db....best most configureable wah I have used.

i have 3. the dunlop 535q is the most versatile with the adjustable range, adjustable q, adjustable tone and the boost button, which i don't use. i also have a morley power wah and a 70s thomas organ but i prefer the dunlop 535q.

play music!

RCGuitar 12-05-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 5559006)
Do you know what part broke on the Dunlop Wah? Just curious.

Honestly I don't know. I played two gigs with it and used it on a couple of songs. I went into the crybaby-then Korg pitchblack-then into the front end of my Mesa Boogie Mark 5v35 head. On Saturday I played a show with our 6 piece band. Lost volume about 4 song in. The I switch to distortion and that was funky sounding. I thought it was amp till I hooked everything back up last night. Turned out to be wah. Wouldn't engage the wah sound (I clicked the toe switch on) on the down stroke. When I rocked pedal back up it squealed horribly. Was distorting the clean channel. I changed cables. Nothing. Then pulled it out of chain and amp was fine. I read numerous complaints online about similar problems. Tonight I brought it back to guitar center, I was willing to try another. They didnt have anymore and I need something by Friday. So, I got a refund (purchased 11/12). I looked at the crybaby mini but it felt small and awkward under my foot. I will investigate other's suggestions. Thanks for the help all.

RCGuitar 12-05-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paleolith54 (Post 5558898)
I had a Clyde Deluxe (Fulltone), great wah. You can't go wrong with it. Stayed on my board for years until I replaced it with...wait for it...a Crybaby Mini. Saves space on my board, sounds great, and built like a tank. And honestly, although I cetainly don't in any way doubt your story, you're nor going to find a more reliable wah than a Crybaby, at least in my experience.

How's the throw on the mini? The one I tried felt like you had to rock your foot back and forth a lot. I.e.: long throw forward and backward

KevWind 12-06-2017 07:48 AM

Don't use a WAH personally but I have an original limited run Soul Driven AH from Xotic which is a great pedal.

I know one guy that loves and swears by his Exotic wah.....Not cheap made in California
There are some review videos at this link also

http://xotic.us/effects/xotic-wah

Dru Edwards 12-06-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCGuitar (Post 5559278)
Honestly I don't know. I played two gigs with it and used it on a couple of songs. I went into the crybaby-then Korg pitchblack-then into the front end of my Mesa Boogie Mark 5v35 head. On Saturday I played a show with our 6 piece band. Lost volume about 4 song in. The I switch to distortion and that was funky sounding. I thought it was amp till I hooked everything back up last night. Turned out to be wah. Wouldn't engage the wah sound (I clicked the toe switch on) on the down stroke. When I rocked pedal back up it squealed horribly. Was distorting the clean channel. I changed cables. Nothing. Then pulled it out of chain and amp was fine. I read numerous complaints online about similar problems. Tonight I brought it back to guitar center, I was willing to try another. They didnt have anymore and I need something by Friday. So, I got a refund (purchased 11/12). I looked at the crybaby mini but it felt small and awkward under my foot. I will investigate other's suggestions. Thanks for the help all.

Too bad about that. I take it you played the rest of the set with a 'funky' sound?