The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Last Time I Saw Her Face by Gordon Lightfoot (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507823)

Glennwillow 04-20-2018 01:55 PM

The Last Time I Saw Her Face by Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

This is my cover of Gordon Lightfoot's incredibly beautiful, poetic and sad song about a heartbreak of the past. It's hard to get through life without a heartbreak or two, and so that makes this song a little tough to sing. Gordon Lightfoot has also commented that this song can be tough for him to sing. One of my YouTube subscribers asked me to consider recording this song.

I wondered if this song was written at about the time of his divorce but it was written earlier. He commented on his songbook CD collection,

"It's about the breakup of a marriage. In a way, you're predicting what's going to take place, and then it happens. In some sense you play the scene out in your mind, and after the fact, it hits you how close you were to the mark. It makes it a little tough to perform sometimes, but not tough enough to keep a great song down. In a way, it covers the same ground as "If You Could Read My Mind" did years later."

The guitar is my 1995 Olson SJ, cedar over EIR, standard tuning. The strings are a little old (Martin SP light, 80/20) but to me, this song called for a fairly mellow sound, and I really liked how this Olson sounded.

Thanks so much for listening! :)

- Glenn

TBman 04-20-2018 02:07 PM

Great job Glenn I really enjoyed that.

Luckily for me all of my romantic "heart breaks" worked out in my favor in the long run. I guess I dodged a few bullets out of dumb luck (in hindsight).

I really like the cedar over rosewood.

Glennwillow 04-20-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5706974)
Great job Glenn I really enjoyed that.

Luckily for me all of my romantic "heart breaks" worked out in my favor in the long run. I guess I dodged a few bullets out of dumb luck (in hindsight).

I really like the cedar over rosewood.

Thank you Barry! Thanks for listening and thanks for commenting here!

And if you somehow got through life without any major heartbreak experience, you really are a lucky guy!

I agree regarding the sound of the Olson. It sure has a velvety kind of sound to it.

Regards,
Glenn

Rogerblair 04-20-2018 06:52 PM

Excellent, Glenn. Very well done, indeed. A beautiful song handled with great sensitivity.

Roger

Glennwillow 04-20-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerblair (Post 5707193)
Excellent, Glenn. Very well done, indeed. A beautiful song handled with great sensitivity.

Roger

Thank you very much, Roger!

It's wonderful for hear from you! I'm so glad you thought this came out okay!

And I hope you are well! :)

- Glenn

Finger Stylish 04-21-2018 07:36 AM

Well Glenn,
I've been holding off making my 1000th post on AGF for a special moment. You have made it difficult especially with your last posting of "50 Ways"(BTWgreat version on that one) for me to keep my hands off the keyboard.
Alas the time has come to say, Well done Glenn! Gordon Lightfoot and his music have endured. People such as you help remind us of our wonderful music past.
Bless you Glenn!

JakeStone 04-21-2018 08:19 AM

Wow! Enjoyed it

Great Sound, guitar, vocals, lyrics... Excellent Glenn !

Glennwillow 04-21-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finger Stylish (Post 5707565)
Well Glenn,
I've been holding off making my 1000th post on AGF for a special moment. You have made it difficult especially with your last posting of "50 Ways"(BTWgreat version on that one) for me to keep my hands off the keyboard.
Alas the time has come to say, Well done Glenn! Gordon Lightfoot and his music have endured. People such as you help remind us of our wonderful music past.
Bless you Glenn!

Thank you, Vance, for your thoughts and comments! I'm so glad you like this, and I appreciate that you saved your one thousandth post for this comment!

Gordon Lightfoot certainly has written a lot of good songs over the years. His music is worth celebrating. :)

Also, it's good to know that you thought "50 Ways" came out okay, too!

Be well!
- Glenn

Glennwillow 04-21-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeStone (Post 5707612)
Wow! Enjoyed it

Great Sound, guitar, vocals, lyrics... Excellent Glenn !

Thank you Jake!

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment! I'm really gratified that you thought this came out okay.

- Glenn

bluesfreek 04-21-2018 09:51 AM

Beautiful! You have a wonderful voice and that guitar sounds perfect for it. Thanks for sharing it! :up:

Glennwillow 04-21-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesfreek (Post 5707671)
Beautiful! You have a wonderful voice and that guitar sounds perfect for it. Thanks for sharing it! :up:

Thank you Bluesfreek!

How nice of you to listen and take time to comment! Thanks so much! Glad you like this! :)

- Glenn

marty bradbury 04-21-2018 11:54 AM

Sounded great Glenn! And the guitar would be my "dream guitar",

Glennwillow 04-21-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty bradbury (Post 5707779)
Sounded great Glenn! And the guitar would be my "dream guitar",

Thank you Marty!

I appreciate your listening and commenting here! And yes, for a lot of music, that Olson SJ really is a dream guitar! I am very fortunate to have it!

Glad to know you are listening, Marty!

- Glenn

flatbaroque 04-21-2018 03:38 PM

I didn't know that song.Thanks Glenn for the beaut introduction to a song worth knowing.

Glennwillow 04-21-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbaroque (Post 5707963)
I didn't know that song.Thanks Glenn for the beaut introduction to a song worth knowing.

Thank you FB for taking the time to listen and comment!

Hope you are well!

- Glenn