The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Godin Multiac Steel (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616811)

lkingston 05-28-2021 10:58 AM

Godin Multiac Steel

I just got a Godin Multiac Steel and I am over-the-moon happy with it!

The acoustic side very much like my Godin Doyle Dykes Multiac (which is my favorite stage guitar) and the electric side sounds like a jazzbox (which is my favorite type of electric).

A couple of notes:

1) The mixed/acoustic output is very hot, even for an active pickup.
2) For some reason it makes a lot of noise with wireless. I believe this will be a cable only guitar.
3) The electric guitar output appears to be passive. It is significantly quieter than the mixed out.
4) The electric side works without a battery.
5) The acoustic side doesn’t seem to suffer from using electric strings. I just put on electric Elixer 12s (with a wound G) and the acoustic sound is excellent.
6) You wouldn’t think that putting a Lyric mic in a chambered thin guitar would add so much, but in both this and the DD model, it really does!
7) I really can’t hear much difference with the saturation slider.
8) As compared to the Doyle Dykes Multiac, the acoustic sound is very similar. It uses an LR Baggs Element instead of an LB6. Both are really nice undersaddle pickups. The saturation circuit is different. The acoustic sound is very much like an LR Baggs Anthem.
9) There are trimpots for the magnetic pickup and mic in the control cavity. I matched the electric to acoustic levels and turned up the mic a bit.
10) The neck seems a little wider than the Doyle Dykes model. It is comfortable, but I feel the difference.
11) This is wonderful guitar to play. The balance on your lap, the playability to the highest frets on the neck, the fit and finish…absolutely perfect!
12) The amplified sound is absolutely wonderful!

DukeX 05-28-2021 01:34 PM

Congrats, those Multiacs are great guitars! I almost bought a nylon a few years back.

The Growler 05-28-2021 07:44 PM

Congratulations! I too have the Doyle Dykes model and I love it. Sounds like you have another winner!

lkingston 05-28-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Growler (Post 6728355)
Congratulations! I too have the Doyle Dykes model and I love it. Sounds like you have another winner!

The DD Multiac has been my favorite live performance guitar. From an audience pov, it is just such a wonderful sounding instrument over the PA. And it is such a joy to play. Adding the electric sound palate to roughly the same instrument is going to be an absolute blast!

Another thing I just noticed is that the magnetic pickup isn't actually attached to the top, but braced from underneath in such a way as to not deaden the sound of the top. Maybe that is part of why the acoustic side sounds so good.

I have tried a number of hybrid guitars over the years and never been satisfied: but this one kills it!

lkingston 05-28-2021 08:13 PM

Another thing I just realized is that a wireless actually sounds fine on the passive electric guitar side. It just makes noise on the active acoustic/mixed side. So you could plug the acoustic out into a PA or acoustic amp, then go wireless from the magnetic pickup to an electric amp.

lkingston 07-11-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkingston (Post 6728370)
Another thing I just realized is that a wireless actually sounds fine on the passive electric guitar side. It just makes noise on the active acoustic/mixed side. So you could plug the acoustic out into a PA or acoustic amp, then go wireless from the magnetic pickup to an electric amp.

It turns out that the Multiac Steel only makes noise over wireless with the Line6 wireless (going into my THR amp). The Carvin 5.8Ghz (knockoff) system is fine. The Boss WL system is also fine (as long as I use a TRS to TS adapter).

BoneDigger 07-11-2021 06:46 PM

I just purchased a nylon SA version. I am very happy with it and it fills a nich. I would also like to try the steel string version sometime.