The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Daughter's Sweet 16 NGD - Taylor GS6 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482813)

Deadduck 09-13-2017 11:35 AM

Daughter's Sweet 16 NGD - Taylor GS6

My daughter was born on September 11, 2001. What a crazy day, but a good one for our family in the end. Anyway, she just celebrated her 16th birthday and and I got her this 2007 GS6 as an upgrade from her Baby Taylor.
I posted about this guitar a month or so ago. I mistakenly called it a 616 but its a GS6ES. She's going to play it tonight at youth group where she leads worship.
I've never had a maple guitar really impress me but this one does. It is bright, but it's also balanced and has surprisingly good bass. All in all its a guitar she can play the rest of her life and one day pass down to her kids.

http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo..._GS6_top_3.jpg
http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo..._GS6_top_2.jpg
http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo..._back_side.jpg
http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...r_GS6_back.jpg
http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...stock_back.jpg
http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo..._headstock.jpg

marit 09-13-2017 11:43 AM

Happy Birthday! You're a great dad that's all I'll say!

Deadduck 09-13-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marit (Post 5475019)
Happy Birthday! You're a great dad that's all I'll say!

Thanks, I hope so. Trying my best! I was expecting to get her 200 or maybe 300 series but was able to get a killer deal on this guitar and she liked it. I was afraid it would be too big but she handles it fine.

vindibona1 09-13-2017 11:46 AM

Wow!

I saw your original thread and thought you got a fantastic guitar. Not familiar with the GS6 I sought out some recordings and double-wow!

Fabulous looking too. And to those of you who (in a previous thread) preferred the "stained" version of Taylor's maple, ya'll need to make appointments with your optometrist today. Why would someone want to obscure this natural beauty. If you listen to the recordings you'll hear that we won't miss rosewood one bit.

Dude... You hit a home run on this and I'm sure this will stay in the family and get handed down. Pretty much the best sweet 16 present ever! You done good!!!

Kip Carter 09-13-2017 11:49 AM

Well done dad!!!

Deadduck 09-13-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 5475022)
Wow!

I saw your original thread and thought you got a fantastic guitar. Not familiar with the GS6 I sought out some recordings and double-wow!

Fabulous looking too. And to those of you who (in a previous thread) preferred the "stained" version of Taylor's maple, ya'll need to make appointments with your optometrist today. Why would someone want to obscure this natural beauty. If you listen to the recordings you'll hear that we won't miss rosewood one bit.

Dude... You hit a home run on this and I'm sure this will stay in the family and get handed down. Pretty much the best sweet 16 present ever! You done good!!!

Thanks, I wanted to get her something special that she could keep forever if she wanted. And I thought the maple was just stunning on this guitar. I'm a sucker for nice wood.

Swamp Yankee 09-13-2017 11:55 AM

awww - what a good dad you are! :up::up::up:

Goat Mick 09-13-2017 12:17 PM

You did good my friend. And extra kudos for giving her a nice lifetime guitar (of course we can't expect anyone to own just ONE guitar - that's just wrong), that she can and will keep forever. I've got two of those guitars, my dad's old J-45 and a Taylor 710 that my wife got me while she was pregnant with our daughter. They both are so important to me and I'll never get rid of them. Dad is with me every time I pick up his guitar and it just feels so good. And every time I play that Taylor I can see my wife 8 months pregnant with tears streaming down her face saying "that's the one, get that one". You just gave your daughter a lifetime of memories. Major daddy score!

leew3 09-13-2017 12:54 PM

Well done Dad. I have this same model from 2006-it's a wonderful guitar that she'll get lots of use from.

llew 09-13-2017 01:09 PM

Way to go dad! That's a nice step up for sure! And I really like the way she's using it!
I had no idea Taylor did a three piece back like the Martin 35? Very nice!

Blind Dog 09-13-2017 01:23 PM

Sweet guitar. Great Dad. :)

Lauren710 09-13-2017 01:32 PM

Beautiful! What a great dad :)

My J45 was a high school graduation present from my dad, and while I didn't play much for several years after college, I'm thoroughly enjoying it again now (and as a bonus, my dad got to hang onto it and play it during my busy years, haha :)

Deadduck 09-13-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren710 (Post 5475135)
Beautiful! What a great dad :)

My J45 was a high school graduation present from my dad, and while I didn't play much for several years after college, I'm thoroughly enjoying it again now (and as a bonus, my dad got to hang onto it and play it during my busy years, haha :)

That last sentence may or may not have entered into the equation. :D
I got my son a nice deer rifle for his 13th birthday, and since he's nearly 6 ft tall, it fits me quite nicely too. You know, in case he decides he doesn't need it.

Deadduck 09-13-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llew (Post 5475113)
Way to go dad! That's a nice step up for sure! And I really like the way she's using it!
I had no idea Taylor did a three piece back like the Martin 35? Very nice!

Thanks. I'm a worship leader/music minister and she's definitely following in my footsteps. I was not aware of the 3-piece back on these Taylor's either, and it instantly reminded me of a birth year (1971) D-35 that I almost bought 10 years or so ago. I've regretted not buying that guitar ever since.

llew 09-13-2017 02:04 PM

I bet there's another one out there Keith!

Deadduck 09-13-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks (Post 5475059)
You did good my friend. And extra kudos for giving her a nice lifetime guitar (of course we can't expect anyone to own just ONE guitar - that's just wrong), that she can and will keep forever. I've got two of those guitars, my dad's old J-45 and a Taylor 710 that my wife got me while she was pregnant with our daughter. They both are so important to me and I'll never get rid of them. Dad is with me every time I pick up his guitar and it just feels so good. And every time I play that Taylor I can see my wife 8 months pregnant with tears streaming down her face saying "that's the one, get that one". You just gave your daughter a lifetime of memories. Major daddy score!

Thanks! Those are great memories. I have an old beat up Gibson L-50 archtop that I heard my Grandpa pick many a gospel tune on. He was a preacher but always brought his guitar. Some of the little country churches he preached at he'd lead the singing, do a "special", then preach a sermon. Don't make them like him anymore.

Deadduck 09-13-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llew (Post 5475182)
I bet there's another one out there Keith!

One of these days...

Nyghthawk 09-13-2017 02:50 PM

Love the wood grain on that one! Wow, dad, nice present!

taylorman22 09-13-2017 02:59 PM

Beautiful guitar! That will serve her well for many years.

I have a 2006 GS6 that looks just like it, with the exception that mine has a pickguard. I use mine every week for leading worship. It's bright and articulate, but has a piano-like low end. Very balanced.

Frogstar 09-13-2017 03:26 PM

That's a great present!
I let my teenager play my GS5 at home, but it's still my guitar. He's got my old Ovation & Seagull Entourage in his room for playing and recording.

Earl49 09-13-2017 03:31 PM

Happy birthday to her! A wonderful present, and it is great that she is following in your musical footsteps.

I have that guitar's cousin, nearly identical except mine is a 2006 GS-K. Where your sides are maple, mine are koa. It is the best wood guitar that I own, and the one for any contender to beat.

Deadduck 09-13-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorman22 (Post 5475229)
Beautiful guitar! That will serve her well for many years.

I have a 2006 GS6 that looks just like it, with the exception that mine has a pickguard. I use mine every week for leading worship. It's bright and articulate, but has a piano-like low end. Very balanced.

I was very impressed with this guitar's voice. Question on your pickguard, I was thinking of maybe putting one on hers. Is yours a standard Taylor guard? I had also thought about a clear pickguard. Do you have a picture of yours?

HOF dad 09-13-2017 04:20 PM

Good for you! Not only did you give her a terrific birthday present but who knows how much that may inspire and further her music aspirations.
Nice job Dad!

Dan

taylorman22 09-13-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadduck (Post 5475297)
I was very impressed with this guitar's voice. Question on your pickguard, I was thinking of maybe putting one on hers. Is yours a standard Taylor guard? I had also thought about a clear pickguard. Do you have a picture of yours?

It just comes down to personal preference. I bought mine used and it already had it on there. Yeah it's a standard Taylor pickguard. My preference is a standard pickguard over clear, but some prefer clear. I had a custom GS I waited for 4 months to get from Taylor, and it had a clear pickguard. With that guitar I liked the clear.

My GS 6 is in the middle...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...psowm5vmur.jpg

Deadduck 09-13-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF dad (Post 5475313)
Good for you! Not only did you give her a terrific birthday present but who knows how much that may inspire and further her music aspirations.
Nice job Dad!

Dan

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. She's started leading worship for her youth group and also playing some for her choir at school. So I definitely wanted to get her something nice that would sound and look good. Wasn't planning on buying one this nice but my local guitar store is a Taylor dealer and took this one on trade. I paid about what a 200 series would cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorman22 (Post 5475314)
It just comes down to personal preference. I bought mine used and it already had it on there. Yeah it's a standard Taylor pickguard. My preference is a standard pickguard over clear, but some prefer clear. I had a custom GS I waited for 4 months to get from Taylor, and it had a clear pickguard. With that guitar I liked the clear.

My GS 6 is in the middle...

Nice! I remember that picture in the last thread I started about this guitar.

Deadduck 09-13-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 5475262)
Happy birthday to her! A wonderful present, and it is great that she is following in your musical footsteps.

I have that guitar's cousin, nearly identical except mine is a 2006 GS-K. Where your sides are maple, mine are koa. It is the best wood guitar that I own, and the one for any contender to beat.

Bet that looks nice! Koa is a beautiful wood!

The Growler 09-13-2017 10:14 PM

Very nice! I'm sure she'll never forget that birthday.

cotten 09-13-2017 10:32 PM

Keith, your story made me smile, thanks! I couldn't get our son interested in playing guitar at her age. He was playing trombone with the Atlanta Youth Symphony, and thought he wanted to be a high school band director. He earned a degree in music education from the University of Georgia. Along the way he began playing guitar a bit. Fast forward a few years, and now he's earned a Master of Divinity in Worship Arts degree from a seminary, and leads worship at a large church not far from where he went to college. He often plays the Taylor T5 Koa we gave him for graduation, but recently he bought a Strat. We're proud of him anyway! There's no telling what your daughter will end up doing with her new GS6, but at this point, the sky's the limit!

cotten

Guest 1511 09-13-2017 11:11 PM

One of my sons was born in 2001 not long before 9/11, but on his last two birthdays he wanted ukuleles. I keep telling him that one day he'll grow up and want six strings.

I'm sure your daughter absolutely adores that GS6. It's so big she can play it like cello.

Cabarone 09-13-2017 11:51 PM

Love the back on that...what a dad...:up: