The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   J. S. Bach - Chaconne, Partita nš2 BWV 1004 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521156)

CSguitar 09-08-2018 01:05 AM

J. S. Bach - Chaconne, Partita nš2 BWV 1004

Hasbro 09-09-2018 06:52 AM

I made it to the shift to major at about 8 mins, ran out of time to listen but will finish later today.

holy smokes this is pro level , wonderful dynamics and phrasing. I will never be able to play like this, so take this as a hyper critical listener who couldn't do better if he tried, the only weakness i heard (but perhaps opinion) was that some of the very fast run section had a little bit of choppiness in the tone for my taste, but didn't sound bad or out of control. Just if there was any room for improvement it would be perhaps a slight bit more liquid/warmth/legato on those super fast notes instead of such a hard attack.

this is one of the best recordings i've heard on agf from a user ever. can't believe there aren't any comments!

kudos,
hasbro

Glennwillow 09-09-2018 08:55 AM

Hi CSguitar!

As Hasbro notes above, this is pro level! Beautifully played and very well recorded, too! Congratulations! What a wonderful classical guitar recording! Thank you for posting this here!

- Glenn

CSguitar 09-14-2018 02:20 AM

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment this recording.
I must say that I completely agree about the choppiness of some passages in the piece, and think you express very well my thoughts that they should sound more liquid/warmth/legato. Having said that, well, it was a long time ago with a brand new guitar.

Thanks again Hasbro and Glenwillow for your kind appreciation.

Hasbro 09-14-2018 06:20 AM

after I hit post, i felt pretty dumb for having anything critical to say, so thanks for receiving it with grace. That is literally the kind of nit-picking you might engage in if you were comparing your execution to parkening's, which really says a lot about how high a level your playing is here!

If I could go back to high school, i would have ditched the amps and studied classical guitar. I am now adapting pieces to steel string, and its pretty difficult for a schlep like me :) I've found Per-Olov Kindgren's arrangements sensible for several Bach pieces. I'm working on Bach's Air on a G string, Bach's Sheep may safely Graze, and Bach's Cello suite prelude. These are the kind of songs that have to really sit for a long time just to get past finding the notes and think to how to make them musical. And these are so "easy" compared to what you posted. I dont know how you were able to get past the notes and execute the musicality of the Chaconne. Congrats

Gerhard Gschossmann 09-15-2018 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSguitar (Post 5830997)

Hi CS,
congratulation - that is great music, very well played and recrded with a really great sound. Although you did this recordingsome years ago, it is a great recording that also can take its place between new recordings....

Did you do the recording as one recording for the complete piece or did you merge some takes ?

greetings from Germany
Gerhard

Zelig 09-20-2018 10:27 AM

Hi, beautiful interpretation. I'm a Bach lover and I knew that composition but never heard it on the guitar before. Impressive sound, technical skills and musicianship. Deeply moving recording.
About the fast notes issue that Hasbro mentioned, I also listened to Andres Segovia's recording and I noted too, that "staccato" thing . I think it's due to the special finger technique that classical players use as we can also hear it with great flamenco players like Paco de Lucia who use the same finger position.For me it's part of the instrument in this kind of music.
Listening to your piece was a delight, an exquisite delight.

CSguitar 09-26-2018 12:16 PM

Thank you Gerhard. Sound producer was great, and yes, we did some takes.

CSguitar 09-26-2018 12:30 PM

Thanks Zelig.
You have "nailed it". It is a technique called rest stroke (apoyando). Nowadays , I would probably choose another way of playing those passages.
I really appreciate your comment. Nice ears.
Cheers.

bluefingers018 09-26-2018 12:54 PM

Beautiful.

Fabian Leandro 09-27-2018 10:19 AM

Wonderful, It's very beautiful !!!