The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Stephen Kinnaird 2021 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603069)

nacluth 01-14-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird (Post 6603830)
Ah very nice B and W. Show us more.

Ok. A little more.

https://i.postimg.cc/dwrfdxSr/93-DAB...2-DB28-D15.jpg

Nemoman 01-14-2021 03:41 PM

Yowzah!!!!

Carpinteria 01-14-2021 05:41 PM

What a great use of the figure of the wood! I especially liked the inner and outer rings as an accent to the center.

SJ VanSandt 01-14-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 6603818)

Naw - stop it. Photoshop, fake news. Ain't no wood that purdy.

Seriously, that's a tasty start for a new year. Beautiful work. And happy new year too - eventually.

Stan

Steve Kinnaird 01-14-2021 09:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Making a spec guitar out of wood like this is a pulse-raising adventure. It seems like a leap of faith. (An expensive one.) But every time I see it taking shape out in the shop I smile, and know someone, somewhere is going to love this.

Here—I’ll pose a question for you guys: what sort of neck would you pair with this wild set of B & W ebony? I’ve been engaged in other tasks and really haven’t thought much about this feature. All answers welcomed! Best answer wins a bucket of Texas snow.

SK

SJ VanSandt 01-15-2021 07:45 AM

neck

Something to compliment the colors but not compete with the figure. How about one-piece mahogany, stained black? Alternately, a nice solid maple neck, but without flame. Definitely no backstrip, so no stripe down the neck either. Not that I'm against them in principle - they look superb on that walnut CS, by the way - but I think you shouldn't distract the eye from that glorious back, or that stunning rosette either.

2 cents

Rmccamey 01-15-2021 08:44 AM

That is my thinking as well. There is so much light wood, and it might be hard to match the tan/sand color, I think a dark/black would be the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 6605062)
Something to compliment the colors but not compete with the figure. How about one-piece mahogany, stained black? Alternately, a nice solid maple neck, but without flame. Definitely no backstrip, so no stripe down the neck either. Not that I'm against them in principle - they look superb on that walnut CS, by the way - but I think you shouldn't distract the eye from that glorious back, or that stunning rosette either.

2 cents

Lonzo 01-15-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 6605062)

2 cents

+1 on this with the addition of maybe a black but satin/matte (not shiny) black neck as a proposal - provided the owner likes it. Optically I think it would be great.

Martz911 01-15-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

What sort of neck would you pair with this wild set of B & W ebony?
I think you might consider a one-piece Maple neck with a little stain to match some of the lighter areas of the B & W Ebony. A fully black neck may draw the eye away from the back - - if that's possible. :)

Nemoman 01-15-2021 11:02 AM

Definitely a black neck all the way with a backstrap of B&W. I'd go gloss on it too--somehow seems like it would work better than a matte one in the grand scheme of things.

Beautiful set of woods, guys--can't wait to see how it all turns out.

j. Kinnaird 01-15-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 6604622)

Wow Nice rosette. I really like the way the outer and inner bands are seem to be the same wood as the larger inner band but have a distinctness and pattern that is proportional to their width and different from the center.

You could do a maple neck with back trim, or perhaps even a solid black neck would look very distinctive. I think i would stick with the colors in the back and avoid something like mahogany or Spanish cedar. (Since you solicited advice). Maybe a spalted maple neck with black center striping. What is the binding going to be.

Tim McKnight 01-15-2021 02:00 PM

I vote for a lighter colored neck with a black sunburst fading black to lighter in the neck shaft area to black again at the peghead. Beautiful build thus far guys. Maybe a book matched BW Ebony peghead veneer from the waist’s waste.

j. Kinnaird 01-15-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 6605434)
I vote for a lighter colored neck with a black sunburst fading black to lighter in the neck shaft area to black again at the peghead. Beautiful build thus far guys. Maybe a book matched BW Ebony peghead veneer from the waist’s waste.

That’s a Good idea

Guitars44me 01-15-2021 04:04 PM

Oh yes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 6605434)

This sounds good to me too. Fantastic wood, just amazing!

Have fun

Paul

Hanter 01-15-2021 04:35 PM

If its a one-piece neck, I'd go for one that is stained fully black. If multi-piece neck, perhaps black-stained wood on the outer and center strip from the same b/w ebony.