The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Guitar - what say you pickup people? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632387)

martingitdave 11-25-2021 09:20 AM

New Guitar - what say you pickup people?
 
I already consulted two of my AGF buddies privately, so I will put the question to all of you. After selling most of my guitars in 2020 to pay legal bills, my wife treated me to an early Christmas present: a custom Martin D-28 from Reno's! It's the same build as my D-28 Marquis, but with the MLO neck. Huzzah.

You all know I like K&K and have been using them successfully with the SunnAudio preamp and the ToneDexter.

So, what are the new flavors of pickup delight in 2021? Extra credit for sound board transducers or anything lightweight without an under saddle.

Happy Thanksgiving AGF!

jklotz 11-25-2021 09:25 AM

IMHO, the Dazzo's pair perfectly with the Sunnaudio stuff. It's exactly what you seek. Call Dazzo and see which one's he think will work for your guitar. I've got 70's in mine, but it's an OM.

Rudy4 11-25-2021 10:10 AM

I'm in the "Don't mess with success" camp. I'm firmly entrenched with K&K Pure Minis.

fwphoto 11-25-2021 12:34 PM

Ultra Tonic
 
I'm a K&K guy that has entered the James May Ultra Tonic camp. Did the Ultra Tonic conversion on a K&K equipped OM-21 & was immediately impressed! Better in every way.

http://jamesmayengineering.com

I'm having an old D-18's large rosewood bridgeplate removed & replaced with a small maple one &, while I'm at it, replacing the K&K that was installed with an Ultra Tonic V3. Yes, I'm a believer!

Frank

martingitdave 11-25-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwphoto (Post 6864356)
I'm a K&K guy that has entered the James May Ultra Tonic camp. Did the Ultra Tonic conversion on a K&K equipped OM-21 & was immediately impressed! Better in every way.

http://jamesmayengineering.com

I'm having an old D-18's large rosewood bridgeplate removed & replaced with a small maple one &, while I'm at it, replacing the K&K that was installed with an Ultra Tonic V3. Yes, I'm a believer!

Frank


Thanks for the input frank. Thatís on my list for sure. I like the new design with the single piezo and smart design of the volume control.

martingitdave 11-25-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jklotz (Post 6864202)
IMHO, the Dazzo's pair perfectly with the Sunnaudio stuff. It's exactly what you seek. Call Dazzo and see which one's he think will work for your guitar. I've got 70's in mine, but it's an OM.


Dazzo is high on the list for sure.

martingitdave 11-25-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 6864246)
I'm in the "Don't mess with success" camp. I'm firmly entrenched with K&K Pure Minis.

This had previously been my conclusion each of the last several times I had to chose a pickup. Curious to see what others think. But donít mess with success are worlds to live by.

jseth 11-25-2021 01:27 PM

I have to say Dazzo... compared to either the Anthem SL system or the K&K, it's just in another class altogether. Had the Anthems in both my stage guitars for a decade; had the K&K in my Goodall GC for nearly a decade... didn't gig with the K&K much, but I never found a "great" setting for tone with that... tried a bunch of stuff to get there, too (not a SunnAudio, however!), but other than a vaguely acoustic tone, I never heard that pickup sound really good...

Had Dazzos put in both my current guitars, 6 string Goodall Concert Jumbo and Mark Angus F-40 12 string, and I was just knocked out by the tone and natural sound coming from them... through my Bose L1 Model II (T1 mixer), I just set it to overall "flat", with ZERO EQ (!) and those Dazzos sound marvelous!

Hardest part of the install was getting the superglue off the bridgeplate from the previous K&K pickup! THAT was harrowing for Vancebo (he generously did the install for me) and I didn't like having to actually "sand" the bridgeplate a bit to get most of the superglue off...

In contrast, after installing the Dazzos (6 minute epoxy), I was very pleased with the result, but Teddy Rondazzo came for a visit and thought he could get a better sound from it... so he removed the pickup and re-installed it, really without issue. He had to use some sort of solvent to remove the epoxy, but it was not big deal...

One thing I would say would be to work closely with Teddy regarding the choice/number for the pickup and the install process. It's a bit involved, but you really only have to do it once... I don't suspect that I will find a reason to pull either set of Dazzos out of either guitar... they are just THAT good!

EZYPIKINS 11-25-2021 04:22 PM

I'm of the Aura VT camp

You can't get a better plugged in tone.

Br1ck 11-25-2021 05:05 PM

I'm in the don't mess with success camp which is why I have six guitars with Dazzos. But you only need one SunnAudio pre.

Gordon Currie 11-25-2021 07:30 PM

I'd say Dazzo, but there is some front-end work getting it to sound optimal and there are some who don't get satisfaction with it.

Since you like K+K, the Ultratonic is a no-brainer. Like you mentioned, the volume control was done well.

JWJ915 11-25-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jseth (Post 6864394)
I have to say Dazzo... compared to either the Anthem SL system or the K&K, it's just in another class altogether. Had the Anthems in both my stage guitars for a decade; had the K&K in my Goodall GC for nearly a decade... didn't gig with the K&K much, but I never found a "great" setting for tone with that... tried a bunch of stuff to get there, too (not a SunnAudio, however!), but other than a vaguely acoustic tone, I never heard that pickup sound really good...

Had Dazzos put in both my current guitars, 6 string Goodall Concert Jumbo and Mark Angus F-40 12 string, and I was just knocked out by the tone and natural sound coming from them... through my Bose L1 Model II (T1 mixer), I just set it to overall "flat", with ZERO EQ (!) and those Dazzos sound marvelous!

Hardest part of the install was getting the superglue off the bridgeplate from the previous K&K pickup! THAT was harrowing for Vancebo (he generously did the install for me) and I didn't like having to actually "sand" the bridgeplate a bit to get most of the superglue off...

In contrast, after installing the Dazzos (6 minute epoxy), I was very pleased with the result, but Teddy Rondazzo came for a visit and thought he could get a better sound from it... so he removed the pickup and re-installed it, really without issue. He had to use some sort of solvent to remove the epoxy, but it was not big deal...

One thing I would say would be to work closely with Teddy regarding the choice/number for the pickup and the install process. It's a bit involved, but you really only have to do it once... I don't suspect that I will find a reason to pull either set of Dazzos out of either guitar... they are just THAT good!


Iíd like to get Dazzos put in my D-18. How do I work with Teddy to get the best possible install, when logistically, weíre a long ways apart?

BluesKing777 11-25-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 6864196)
I already consulted two of my AGF buddies privately, so I will put the question to all of you. After selling most of my guitars in 2020 to pay legal bills, my wife treated me to an early Christmas present: a custom Martin D-28 from Reno's! It's the same build as my D-28 Marquis, but with the MLO neck. Huzzah.

You all know I like K&K and have been using them successfully with the SunnAudio preamp and the ToneDexter.

So, what are the new flavors of pickup delight in 2021? Extra credit for sound board transducers or anything lightweight without an under saddle.

Happy Thanksgiving AGF!



Just got my (used) 2006 Martin 000-28EC second hand shop find back the other week - full setup PLUS K&K Trinity Solo (K&K with internal mic) runs to outdoor K&K Trinity Pro preamp I already own and love.

Sensational!

Can play it:

Acoustically.
K&K only with mono cable out.
K&K only mono cable to Tonedexter.
K&K Trinity with mic on full and in ear monitors/headphones, no amps - with stereo cable to a preamp/DI ( which happens to be currently.....ha ha ...the Tonedexter!:)


https://i.imgur.com/ZCmrE55h.jpg



BluesKing777.

martingitdave 11-26-2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesKing777 (Post 6864668)
Just got my (used) 2006 Martin 000-28EC second hand shop find back the other week - full setup PLUS K&K Trinity Solo (K&K with internal mic) runs to outdoor K&K Trinity Pro preamp I already own and love.

Sensational!

Can play it:

Acoustically.
K&K only with mono cable out.
K&K only mono cable to Tonedexter.
K&K Trinity with mic on full and in ear monitors/headphones, no amps - with stereo cable to a preamp/DI ( which happens to be currently.....ha ha ...the Tonedexter!:)


https://i.imgur.com/ZCmrE55h.jpg



BluesKing777.


I havenít tried that one with the internal mic. Thatís a good suggestion. I know a number of players with that setup.

Br1ck 11-26-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJ915 (Post 6864631)
Iíd like to get Dazzos put in my D-18. How do I work with Teddy to get the best possible install, when logistically, weíre a long ways apart?

Call him up. He may have worked with a tech in your area already, or can talk you through it, or work with any tech of your choice. Just don't have a tech who thinks he'll use tape or glue that is not what Teddy says. I know a top shop who won't use the epoxy, so customers don't get full value with their pickups.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=