The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   How to not forgetting a piece you have learned (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161732)

Hendra 08-19-2009 08:25 PM

How to not forgetting a piece you have learned

Hi fellow AGF-er,

Eversince I started learning fingerstyle pieces, I have learnt quite some fingerstyle arrangement such as Beatles for fingerstyle, rag time arrangement etc. Everytime I've learnt a piece and play it over and over for couple of hundred times maybe and think I have memorized it, I would move along and focusing on learning other stuff; either songs or other fingerstyle piece. The problem is, every now and then when I try to play the piece that I thought I have memorized earlier, there is always a certain part that I somehow forget how to play and ends up re-learning the particular part. Of course it's not difficult to just open the tab book or hear the original recording, but this is still annoying especially when you play for the family, friends etc.

It did occur to me that for certain piece, it seems that I was able to involve my sub-conscious to help me play certain piece even while talking. (the finger just move by itself during playing, I am sure you know what I mean)

Is there anyway or tips from you guys on how to prevent forgetting fingerstyle piece that you have learnt ? Also is there any way of putting all of those in your sub-conscious so that you can play it out easily.

Any thought or input will be very much appreciated.

SongwriterFan 08-19-2009 08:27 PM

No idea.

I know lots of PIECES of music on piano. But hardly any full songs.

I've never been known for my memory.

Glennwillow 08-19-2009 08:31 PM

To keep from forgetting pieces at my age (61) I have to play the song fairly often -- at least once a week. Funny -- I can remember tons of music I learned when I was 16 but I can't remember what I learned a month ago if I don't keep playing it.

What we were talking about?....

- Glenn

ewalling 08-19-2009 08:37 PM

I hear you! I'm afraid I don't have any solutions but I have experienced the same thing. I learn and then memorize fingerstyle pieces to the point where I am no longer conscious of what my fingers are doing; all being well they just fall into the right places. But then ... it will happen that the fingers don't fall into the right place in one section, and as the piece has since passed from brain memory to finger memory, there's nothing else for it but to go back to the tab, which feels onerous at that stage. Mmmm, what to do about that... Maybe it's important to retain mental awareness of what the fingers are doing so that we are not so dependent on finger memory - I don't know!

mmmaak 08-19-2009 10:13 PM

There's simply no surefire way to remember an arrangement indefinitely without occasional practice. The brain is a biological "computer" after all, and time will take its toll.

Having said that, if you learn something more by ear than by notes, I think you'll probably have a better chance of remembering it for longer, or at least have the ability to reconstruct/re-arrange when necessary.

I've heard it said that the difference between a good player and a pro is one practises till they don't make mistakes, the other practises till they *can't* make mistakes....or something to that effect. In order to "express" your music rather than just "play" it, you need to build up hundreds if not thousands of practice hours so that you don't have to concentrate on what your hands are doing.

jpbat 08-19-2009 10:55 PM

I found that it's easier to remember when there is a melody going on.
The brain seems to *hum* the melody, and it's a guide to what the fingers are doing.
If the melody is played prominently, the remaining stuff can be changed on the fly without worrying too much, so no need to remember *exactly* where and when everything has to be. Gives a bit of leeway.
Maybe not a complete answer to the original question, but a part.

thall 08-20-2009 05:21 AM

I begin my daily practice session playing older songs I have learned, and ones I am most likely to forget passages. When I get stuck, usally in the middle of the song somewhere where variations of the melody occur, I make a note of it and move on. The next day I play the song in my head, not trying remembering exactly how the fingering is supposed to be, rather to establish the sequence of the passages.

That night I can play through the song without digging out the tab. Kinda like meeting an old friend, where after speaking for a short while forgotten memories come back.

A variation of this is to view the song on a u-tube video, (I use Video Piggy to store these on my computer) before attempting to play. I'm going to review Dan Ross's 'First Ride' tonight. Because I finished learning it a month ago, and havn't played it since, I'll view the video before going to work and mentally play it in my head a couple times during work. Upon arriving home I will view the video again, tune to that crazy FACDCF and then attempt to play it.

I like a few songs in alternate tunings but they are a bother once learned because who wants to re-tune to review, as in this instance, the one and only song I know in FACDCF? Sheesh I'll never find another song in that tuning that I like enough to learn....

Repition is the key! :)

TBman 08-20-2009 06:17 AM

I have the same problem (I'm 54 btw), but after playing a song a 100,000 times I get bored too and move on to something else. I guess playing the tune once or twice a day would help in memorization.

stratokatsu 08-20-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 1933220)
To keep from forgetting pieces at my age (61) I have to play the song fairly often -- at least once a week. Funny -- I can remember tons of music I learned when I was 16 but I can't remember what I learned a month ago if I don't keep playing it.

Agreed - same age, same problem. I can remember songs I sang in college when I took up guitar, the Peter, Paul & Mary stuff, the Kingston Trio stuff, CSN stuff... but I can't remember some of the songs I've written without my lyrics and it seems no matter how often I play them, I don't remember them.

Maybe they are just utterly forgettable.

Hendra 08-20-2009 07:32 AM

All,

Thank you so much for the comments. Most did rings a bell to me. Especially the playing in the head part. Reminds of me of the process when I am learning to speak a new language. The same concept of practice in the head apply here. I really should try to practice in my try to imagine play stuff on my head as well.

Need to add another digit to my practice repetition routine to thousands instead of hundreds as well. I am 38 by the way and should really try to learn as much as possible before getting to the stage some of you are facing now; forgetting what was just learnt last week. Geez, guess we all need memory chips implant in our head sooner or later.

ewalling 08-20-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendra (Post 1933524)
All,
I am 38 by the way and should really try to learn as much as possible before getting to the stage some of you are facing now; forgetting what was just learnt last week.

Erm, I was kind of hoping that that was a good-humored exaggeration! ;)

mmmaak 08-20-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewalling (Post 1933550)

My neighbours are known for not mincing words :lol:

Glennwillow 08-20-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Well, there is no question that a person remembers things better when they are younger than when they are older. But some people have amazing memories for some things. Tommy Emmanuel seems to be like that with music -- he doesn't seem to forget things once he learns them, but then his dedication to learning a piece is pretty high, too.

Thanks, Glenn

Hendra 08-20-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

That's me 20 years from now looking through the crystal ball. Not much time left before then.:D:D:D

ewalling 08-20-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 1933564)
Well, there is no question that a person remembers things better when they are younger than when they are older. Thanks, Glenn

So it wasn't an exaggeration?! Yikes, between arthritis and creeping ( or maybe 'galloping') senility, the future doesn't look too good for us pickers! :eek: