The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Take Me Home, Country Roads (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629557)

Oetomoepi 10-25-2021 02:06 AM

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Hello to everyone,

I have been listening to John Denver again lately, I used to listen to him every day in my youth which was 40+ years ago. :D.

Anyway this is my take on his "Country Roads"

The link is as shown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riu-GdgKj6s

Hope you guys like it, if not just switch it off. :D

leew3 10-25-2021 06:10 AM

Beautifully done and faithful to John's fingerpicking style on this song! Thanks for sharing your well done version of this with us.

J.R. Rogers 10-25-2021 07:02 AM

Very nice. I like John Denver.

JR

TomB'sox 10-25-2021 08:36 AM

Very good pickin there. I have never seen it played in the key of C before. Nice.

Oetomoepi 10-25-2021 10:37 AM

Leww3, thank you, I have been playing mostly classical guitar pieces for quite some time now, I thought it would be fun to play John Denver’s music again.

J.R Rogers, yes, John Denver wrote lots of good tunes, I guess that was the reason why I ended up in Fort Colins for 4 years, because of his songs about Rocky Mountain, Starwood in Aspen, 😂😂😂.

TomB’sox, thank you, well the Spanish key is always the go to key for me.😂😂😂. I tried working it out in the key of A, but to slot in the fill ins become too unwieldy. So the Spanish key came to the rescue.

TheGITM 10-25-2021 12:51 PM

Lovely! There is something special about those old John Denver songs...

difalkner 10-25-2021 01:19 PM

Very nicely done! Like Tom I have never seen it played in C before, I always play it in A like JD did but I can't come close to singing it there. I like all the licks you threw in, too. Good job!

Oetomoepi 10-25-2021 11:51 PM

TheGTIM,
Yes there is magic in those old JD songs. I am so happy that I grew up with his songs, James Taylor, Harry Chapin, Dan Fogelberg, Simon and Art Garfunkel the list goes on and on. Listening to them now is like being in a time machine transported back to where there were no aches and pains in the joints. :)

David,

Thank you for taking a listen, the licks don’t flow well if I were to play in A, too far apart from the chords to sustain the flow. The Spanish key came to the rescue in this instance. 😂😂

Gdjjr 10-27-2021 07:44 AM

That is some mighty fine picking!

Coler 10-27-2021 03:23 PM

Wonderful playing - I really enjoyed it

Oetomoepi 10-28-2021 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gdjjr (Post 6841965)
That is some mighty fine picking!

Thank you for taking the time to listen.
I grew up with JD music among others, can’t recall how many cassette tapes I wore out trying to learn his picking most of the time ending up in dismal failures. I thank JD for inspiring me to persevere on the guitar through his songs.

Oetomoepi 10-28-2021 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coler (Post 6842352)
Wonderful playing - I really enjoyed it

Thank you for taking the time to listen and I am glad that enjoyed it.

Gdjjr 10-28-2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oetomoepi (Post 6842627)
Thank you for taking the time to listen.
I grew up with JD music among others, can’t recall how many cassette tapes I wore out trying to learn his picking most of the time ending up in dismal failures. I thank JD for inspiring me to persevere on the guitar through his songs.

LOL- I wore out 8 track tapes- especially the one with Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas on it

Glennwillow 10-28-2021 10:41 AM

Very nice job on this! I enjoyed your rendition! Excellent job on the finger picking! And nice job on the singing, too! :)

- Glenn

The Watchman 10-28-2021 10:50 AM

Not to be picky, but he didn't write that song. His backup singers Bill & Taffy Danoff, did.