The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   recording isuuses using Audacity on a Windows 7 computer (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432271)

Johneg 06-06-2016 03:27 AM

recording isuuses using Audacity on a Windows 7 computer

I am having a problem using Audacity running on Windows 7 professional. The recorded volume on the program has to be set to only one notch above completely off, to insure that the drive level does not saturated, or driven in to non-linear levels. The hardware I am using external to the computer is two condenser microphones feed into a Behringer XENYX 802 audio mixer then converted to a digital signal using a Behringer UCA202 audio interface.

I tried reducing the drive levels into the Behringer UCA202 audio interface, and the results reduced the dynamic range of the signal, although the quality of recording wasn't great it was better, but not even close to the quality explained below.

Using the same hardware setup as above on my wife's Mac book, again using Audacity, the recording worked great, were the recording level, on Audacity, is now set in the mid range and the results of the recording is what I would expect in quality.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

John G

LeightonBankes 06-06-2016 03:39 AM

I'm thinking when you open the windows audio interface and go advanced, under record, there is a 30 db microphone boost. If that was clicked, it would be the problem

Johneg 06-06-2016 05:06 AM

thanks for the reply

Were in Audacity is the windows audio interface/advance option? I've opened up the preferences under edit menu, and I can't find what you are describing.

LeightonBankes 06-06-2016 06:34 AM

it's not in audacity, it is in windows...I have to think back to windows 7...ok, I went and looked at it.
start>control panel> audio and sound>recording>then click on the microphone there is recording level and microphone boost

LeightonBankes 06-06-2016 06:38 AM

I copy/pasted this;
Click the Start button and select Control Panel. Click on "Hardware and Sound" and then click on "Manage audio devices" under Sound (if you are using the "Classic View" in the Control Panel then double-click on the Sound icon). The Recording tab of the Sound screen that is displayed should show your microphone. Double-click on the microphone to display its properties.
If there is a "Custom" tab shown on the Microphone Properties screen select that tab. If a Microphone Boost check box is displayed then check it. If no Microphone Boost check box is displayed or if there is no Custom tab on the Microphone Properties screen then see the next bullet point.
If there is no Custom tab shown on the Microphone Properties screen then select the "Levels" tab instead. You may see one or two levels to adjust. Use the slider for the Microphone level to increase the level and try some more test recordings with SpellQuizzer to see how this improves the recording quality. If there is a level for Microphone Boost then adjust that slider control as well and and try some more test recordings in SpellQuizzer. If there is no Microphone Boost slider control then most likely your sound card or microphone does not support Microphone Boost.

MikeBmusic 06-06-2016 07:19 AM

The Windows audio setting may be at 100%, reduce it to 10%.

macmanmatty 06-06-2016 07:31 PM

the problem is your using windows you need a mac for audio recording.

runamuck 06-06-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmanmatty (Post 4962695)

You're wrong.

Johneg 06-07-2016 02:22 AM

Tried all the recommendations above, but it is still over driving.
Is it possible that the driver on the computer is not compatible with the U-Control UCA202?

I want to thank all for trying to help it is appreciated

John G

clintj 06-07-2016 04:40 AM

I think I had almost the same problem, but it was a couple of years ago. In the Win7 sound control panel, there should be a slider for microphone volume. Set it to 30% or less. That's what mikebmusic is trying to say. I was running an A&H USB mixer to Win7 in Audacity, and had a massively overdriven sound when recording.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Joseph Hanna 06-07-2016 09:01 AM

I've not looked at a Windows machine for some years now but I'm wondering if the drivers on the Berhinger interface are properly installed I would think (and I could be wrong) from that point on Windows "sound control panel" should not be in the mix of things.

Shouldn't Windows allow the Berhinger to be the sound card?

MikeBmusic 06-07-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna (Post 4963288)
I've not looked at a Windows machine for some years now but I'm wondering if the drivers on the Berhinger interface are properly installed I would think (and I could be wrong) from that point on Windows "sound control panel" should not be in the mix of things.

Shouldn't Windows allow the Berhinger to be the sound card?

Yes, but the Windows sound control panel settings still affect things.

RRuskin 06-07-2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmanmatty (Post 4962695)

Bogus answer.

rick-slo 06-07-2016 08:40 PM

Don't know what specific setting you have wrong, but FWIW I have used Audacity with Windows 7 without any problems.

RodB 06-08-2016 01:53 AM

I have also used Audacity in Windows 7 Pro, without this problem (my interface was a Mackie Onyx Blackjack).

Don't know whether it is relevant, but under Control Panel > (Hardware and Sound) > Sound, the interface is shown as the line input (not mic) under the 'Recording' tab. After clicking properties, level can be adjusted under the 'Level' tab. Under the 'Advanced' tab both boxes are checked in 'Exclusive Mode'.