The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My first older guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569926)

MIGAS79 01-20-2020 06:07 PM

My first older guitar

Every time I play an older guitar there is just a “thing” that is different. For a while I have been keeping an eye out for a vintage acoustic. I tend to get nervous playing my minty fresh J-45 when my umm... energetic child is moving about like a tornado.

So I have a ‘78 Guild D25 on the way!

Any advice on strings? I use John Pearse PBs on the Gibson and Martin Retros on the all hog M-20 (which are a heavenly combo!)

I’d love to hear any thoughts on these older Guilds!

bufflehead 01-20-2020 06:28 PM

I played a '73 D25 for several decades, until a point when it basically became unplayable, and the cost of repair exceeded the cost of replacement. The problem I had was with bridge belly, and this is something the D25 tends to be susceptible to, especially when played with medium strings.

If it seems that your "new" D25 might already be developing a belly problem, consider the possibility of going with light strings.

My only all-hog guitar these days is a Martin 000-15m, and I performs well with Martin Retros. There's a bit of magic to be had between monel and mahogany.

All the best with your new acquisition!

KenL 01-21-2020 07:44 AM

Congrats! Can't beat a good Guild!

I've had my '81 for 20 years now. It's my all-time favorite guitar. I have used nothing but Elixir Lights on it for all these years. I switch back and forth between 80/20s and PBs. The guitar doesn't mind, and both kinds sound good.

DCCougar 01-21-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich Novice (Post 6270697)
...I’d love to hear any thoughts on these older Guilds!

Guilds are great, and D-25's are very sought after. I go for the jumbos, myself. I love my Guilds!

MIGAS79 01-21-2020 01:28 PM

I went with the D25 because these old Guilds get great praise. And if you are patient you can grab one at a really good price. This particular one was apparently played in church its whole life and has an LR Baggs pickup.

If I really like it I may try to trade my Gibson for something like a 000 or OM (rosewood perhaps) to cover more sonic territory.

UncleJesse 01-21-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich Novice (Post 6270697)
Every time I play an older guitar there is just a “thing” that is different. For a while I have been keeping an eye out for a vintage acoustic. I tend to get nervous playing my minty fresh J-45 when my umm... energetic child is moving about like a tornado.

So I have a ‘78 Guild D25 on the way!

Any advice on strings? I use John Pearse PBs on the Gibson and Martin Retros on the all hog M-20 (which are a heavenly combo!)

I’d love to hear any thoughts on these older Guilds!

Congrats. My dad has a Guild D25 about that age and it's a fine dreadnought. It was his main guitar for many a year until he got his D18V. I still think it's his main guitar sitting around the house.

MIGAS79 01-27-2020 06:46 PM

I love this thing! Man is it loud! Shockingly good condition too for age. The neck is as smooth as can be. Definitely heavier than my J-45, built like a tank! Notes ring out for days. Put some GHS Vintage Bronze lights on it that I had on hand. Likely not a long term solution but just fine for now.

A narrow nut is very noticeable but I have no complaints.

The arched back is quite comfy against the body too.

Wade Hampton 01-27-2020 06:52 PM

Mich, I'm glad you like your "new" old Guild guitar. I've owned several of those over the years.

I've always used John Pearse strings on the Guilds I've owned, usually the Pearse phosphor bronze but sometimes the 80/20's, instead. When I owned a natural finish blond maple Guild jumbo, I tried the Pearse Pure Nickel strings on it and found that they were an excellent match for that guitar.

Figuring out which alloy you like the best is part of the fun!

Wade Hampton Miller

elstongunn 01-27-2020 07:26 PM

Congrats! Enjoy!

Gatorwampus 01-27-2020 08:14 PM

I've owned a '74 Guild D35 for 40 years or so. I bought it in a pawn shop, cheap, from a guy who wasn't familiar with the brand. Remember this is before the days of the internet. This was my first "good" guitar. The D35 has been all over the US and half of Canada, sat around a thousand campfires, still plays and sounds wonderful. I just treated it to a new set of tuners and a fret job. For the last few years I've used Elixer light 80/20 strings. I may try John Pearse as they sound great on my Eastman. Enjoy your Guild. They are very good, well made guitars. I intend to leave mine to my grandson, and it will probably still be in good playing condition.