The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Best Crossover Nylons under $1500 (see criteria) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490907)

microscope 11-27-2017 12:26 PM

Best Crossover Nylons under $1500 (see criteria)

Not looking for smaller body, thinner body flamenco type guitars.
Looking for a full-size classical style guitar, cutaway or not, electronics or not, with the crossover focus of the radiused and narrower neck.
Only wood finishes please - no black, sunburst or other colors
Let's try to keep it in the $1000-1500 mark unless something under that really competes.
I tend to favor established, reliable names, but I'm open to everything.
I'm hoping for something that sounds great plugged in, and still good+ unplugged as far as volume, tone, clarity, range etc.
Used suggestions are ok, but I only buy local for used and there are never any good crossovers available in Montreal or surrounding areas.

Thanks in advance :up:

Red_Label 11-27-2017 06:43 PM

Cordoba GK Pro or Fusion 14, IMO. C12 that I had was great as well... but more classical focused.

Yamaha NTX are great guitars too (plugged in), but sound like a wet log unplugged.

ceciltguitar 11-27-2017 08:49 PM

Usually "crossover" is taken to imply narrower neck, typically around 1.75" nut, and radiused fretboard.

If that is what you are looking for, I agree that the Cordoba Fusion is a good choice. So are some of the Takamines.

I LOVE the Cordoba GK Pro, the specs are nearly perfect for me! But it is NOT a crossover - the fretboard is flat, NOT radiused. The neck is a little bit narrower, 50 mm vs 52 mm for a standard "classical" guitar. The neck is very thin, which is great for me, but not for everybody. It is a flamenco guitar, NOT a classical guitar, NOT a crossover. Although there are probably some players who use it as a classical or as a crossover guitar.

Best wishes!
Tom

microscope 11-27-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceciltguitar (Post 5550267)
Usually "crossover" is taken to imply narrower neck, typically around 1.75" nut, and radiused fretboard.

If that is what you are looking for, I agree that the Cordoba Fusion is a good choice. So are some of the Takamines.

I LOVE the Cordoba GK Pro, the specs are nearly perfect for me! But it is NOT a crossover - the fretboard is flat, NOT radiused. The neck is a little bit narrower, 50 mm vs 52 mm for a standard "classical" guitar. The neck is very thin, which is great for me, but not for everybody. It is a flamenco guitar, NOT a classical guitar, NOT a crossover. Although there are probably some players who use it as a classical or as a crossover guitar.

Best wishes!
Tom

Yes I didn't realize that the GK Pro and Fusion 14 were smaller body and thinner body as well - they look like travel guitars to me : ) I'm looking for a full size classical-type guitar with cutaway or not, electronics or not, with the focus on the radiused and norrower neck.
Does Cordoba offer any crossovers that fit this description?
And any other brands that might fit the criteria?
Thx

microscope 11-28-2017 06:01 PM

If it is the case that most crossover nylon guitars have a thinner body and cutaway for performance convenience, the question becomes the following:
1) Which ones in this criteria, if any, can sound as full/clear/good plugged in as full-body nylon classical guitars plugged in or mic'd?
2) Can these crossovers at least come close to their full body nylon classical siblings when not plugged in? Or is it always going to be significantly different because of the design differences?

Gcunplugged 11-28-2017 06:41 PM

I don’t have one, but hear lots of good things about the Pono Nylon hybrids here on the forum. And there are a pair of them on sale direct from Pono, as advertised here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=489364

Both are under $1,000.

Hopefully some who owns one will chime in.
Gary

Guest 2143 11-28-2017 07:45 PM

Cordoba C9 crossover was the one I liked the most when I was trying various classical guitars and crossovers, though I do not remember trying any guitars over about $1,400. It has a full-sized classical guitar body and no electronics or cutaway. The neck is the only difference between this guitar and the C9 classical. The nut width is 48mm and it has a radiused finger board, other than this it is the same as the C9 classical.

Red_Label 11-30-2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microscope (Post 5550352)
Yes I didn't realize that the GK Pro and Fusion 14 were smaller body and thinner body as well - they look like travel guitars to me : ) I'm looking for a full size classical-type guitar with cutaway or not, electronics or not, with the focus on the radiused and norrower neck.
Does Cordoba offer any crossovers that fit this description?
And any other brands that might fit the criteria?
Thx

I've owned many classical and flamenco guitars. The Cordoba GK Pro and Fusion are most definitely not travel sized guitars. I don't notice any difference in tone, or body size when playing, from my regular classicals.

The GK Pro comes in blanca (cypress) and Negra (rosewood). I've owned two of each and they are my favorite nylon strung instruments that I've ever owned since I started playing classical in 1986.

My Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova was technically more of a crossover, with a narrower neck and raduised fretboard. It was my favorite non-Cordoba and impreccable in craftsmanship and playability. But even used, they run around $2K (when you can find one).

microscope 11-30-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Label (Post 5553672)
I've owned many classical and flamenco guitars. The Cordoba GK Pro and Fusion are most definitely not travel sized guitars. I don't notice any difference in tone, or body size when playing, from my regular classicals.

The GK Pro comes in blanca (cypress) and Negra (rosewood). I've owned two of each and they are my favorite nylon strung instruments that I've ever owned since I started playing classical in 1986.

My Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova was technically more of a crossover, with a narrower neck and raduised fretboard. It was my favorite non-Cordoba and impreccable in craftsmanship and playability. But even used, they run around $2K (when you can find one).

I didn't mean that they were actually travel guitars, only that they are not full sized classical guitars with a cutaway.
They are smaller and thinner body.
Unless I am mistaken?

dkstott 12-01-2017 12:11 PM

I have a little knowledge of the "Fusion" model Cordoba guitars, they are only slightly thinner in the body than a standard Classical. However, they have a much thinner neck than standard classical guitars. The width at the nut is either 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 also very similar to steel string guitars. It makes the transition from steel string to nylon easier for folks.

I've owned a Cordoba GK Pro Negra for 2 years now. Aside from the cutaway, the body size and shape is the same as my other standard classical guitars. The width at the nut is 1.96"... Not quite as wide as some standard classical guitars, but definitely not a "crossover" width like the "fusion".

For my personal use; the GK Pro Negra is the perfect tool to play a variety of music. While it's not a true classical guitar, it provides gives me the right tone to play quite a few classical pieces & can easily transition to jazz or pop music. FWIW- I rarely play amplified...

hope this helps

Dave

lodi_55 12-12-2017 04:59 PM

I'd look for a Taylor used nylon. My gigging guitar is a Taylor 414 Fall Limited that I bought used for around $1,300. Can't say enough about it.

Tony Done 12-12-2017 05:13 PM

I've tried the Cordoba Fusion series and almost bought one. Not a brilliant acoustic tone, like a good lightly-built classical, but not bad either.

Jcrooks 12-15-2017 09:09 AM

Sent you a PM

klangbild 12-22-2017 11:10 AM

Check out a Taylor 12e Nylon. A lot of guitar, and well under your budget.

dkstott 12-22-2017 01:52 PM

I highly recommend the Cordoba GK Pro Negra for your consideration. It's perfect for playing a wide variety of genre's of music.