The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   When I Was A Young Smarty-Pants (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175191)

guitaniac 01-28-2010 06:05 AM

When I Was A Young Smarty-Pants

The recent "Young and Handsome" vid reminded me that I'm lucky to have old videos like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDwGrOwRlA4

I miss the crazy falsetto skills almost as much as the lean bod and the full head of hair.

Gary

GibsonGuy 01-28-2010 06:24 AM

Dude, that was fun! Thanks for posting!:)

kevdog 01-28-2010 02:17 PM

Gary-

Great stuff. How's the journey been since 1985?

Kevdog

66strummer 01-28-2010 04:49 PM

Wow!! A professional recording from the 80's Gary? That was very cool! Funny too :lol:. Had some celebrity status going on there from the looks of it :D. Do you have a lot of these old performance songs on video? Priceless stuff! :guitar: That guitar sounded great on stage......

Side note: Would love to know what it's like to get that kind of round of applause after a song. :cry::cool:

NitroX 01-28-2010 04:55 PM

That was great and the audience sure liked it! Thanks for sharing that :)

Jack Orion 01-28-2010 05:21 PM

Hey, I thought that was pretty cool!

Is that the same dreadnought you're using in the youtube vids now? Looks like it got pretty sweaty...

CCreyeder 01-28-2010 06:22 PM

craziness! lol

66strummer 01-28-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCreyeder (Post 2105668)
craziness! lol

I've come to the conclusion that "Guitaniac" translates to "Guitar Maniac" :D.

Steve Berger 01-28-2010 07:02 PM

Wacky good!

guitaniac 01-28-2010 07:13 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the kind comments.

As I mentioned in my opening post, I'm very fortunate to have these old videos. With respect to this particular concert, they held open auditions (in Manchester, Concord and Portsmouth) for the NH Folk Festival back then. I happened to fill a niche (for a change-of-pace act) that the judging panel was looking for, as I was an excellent yodeler back then. As it turned out, the crowd was quite ready for a change of pace by the time I took the stage. The concert was televised live, so it worked out pretty well in terms of capturing a well-received performance on video.

Of the forty-four videos which I currently have on my YouTube channel, six are from this festival and five are from a Boston area cable TV show which I did in December of '85. I plan to upload another performance from the Folk Festival (Jim Post's poignant song of enduring love, "Three Soft Touches") around Valentines Day. My YouTube channel is at
www.youtube.com/user/guitaniac

Regarding the guitar, that's the same Martin (1968 D28) which has appeared (in more beat up condition) in a couple of my most recent videos. It will also appear in the "BFD" video which I'll be uploading onto YouTube later tonight. ("BFD" is a hilarious, yet heartwarming song from Nashville writers Don Henry and Craig Carruthers.) I bought the guitar used, in a San Francisco pawn shop in '71. Even back then it had some finish checking on the top, but its been a dependable friend thru a great deal of knock-around use. I had to have the entire fretboard replaced in the early '90s.

Regarding kevdog's question about the "journey since", a family emergency returned me to Ohio in '88. Leaving New England reduced my gigging options quite a bit (far fewer concerts and no more Boston area street singing or subway busking), so I gave up the full-time folkie thing. I've done a lot of music-related "administrative" stuff in the years since (hosting open mics, running sound, booking bands), and still manage some solo gigging. I'm excited to be opening a Cleveland area show for Bill Staines in March. That's quite an honor for me, as Bill Staines is the New England folkie who inspired me to take up yodeling, way back when.

Gary

Marshall 01-28-2010 09:20 PM

So reserved and lovely and peaceful.

Kumbayah, dude.

;) ;) ;)

rhancox 01-29-2010 09:18 PM

Gary, you are THE Guitaniac!

I would love to see you play live. I think I'd sweat just as much watching you as you do playing. I'd be worn out by the end of the show.

BTW: I thought I recognized that Martin too.

Bob1131 01-31-2010 08:03 AM

:D:D:D I enjoyed it!!

guitaniac 02-01-2010 08:49 AM

Hi Rob and Bob,

Thanks for the kind comments.

About the "guitaniac" thing, Rob, I fear that I was more of a wild & crazy singer back then, when the falsetto and the high notes came much more effortlessly. (I was only thirty-seven in the '85 vid.) My live show is a little more "sedate" these days. This Bill Staines yodeling song is about as energetic as I get these days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nt6YqSlBrQ

Gary