The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Just heard and played the best uke I've ever encountered (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509495)

Wade Hampton 05-05-2018 01:19 PM

Just heard and played the best uke I've ever encountered

A few days ago some friends and acquaintances of mine came over to a music party at my house. One woman I know only slightly had an all-koa Moore Better concert ukulele with her that had similar appointments as this one:

http://www.moorebettahukes.com/publi...lement1086.jpg

My God! What an incredible instrument! It was loud, clear as a bell and sounded terrific! She had no trouble being heard clearly in a room full of other musicians churning away, and everything she played sounded musically perfect.

She was gracious enough to let me play it a little bit, and while I doubt I'm going to spend the money to get a ukulele as nice as hers, I was hugely impressed.

Here's the Moore Better website:

http://www.moorebettahukes.com/index.html

Here are some more gorgeous Moore Better ukes to for us to gaze at longingly:

whm

Paraclete 05-05-2018 05:59 PM

Yes. Chuck Moore makes some amazing ukuleles, both visually and tonally. My partner and I have a custom tenor in 5A mastergrade koa. However, unless you can get your hands on a used one or one of the plain tenors that Chuck sometimes sells on his site or through a local Hawaiian music shop, I’m not sure you can even get on his waiting list for a custom!

Wade Hampton 05-05-2018 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paraclete (Post 5721050)
YHowever, unless you can get your hands on a used one or one of the plain tenors that Chuck sometimes sells on his site or through a local Hawaiian music shop, I’m not sure you can even get on his waiting list for a custom!

That's what Maureen, the woman who brought the uke to our house, said. She said he's closed his waiting list and that finding a used one is about all you can do right now.

I can see why. That was by far and away the best-sounding, most MUSICAL-sounding uke I've ever heard. It kind of made me want to take up the instrument.

It also reminded me of why I love koa as a tonewood so much. It has such great balance and great clarity when you find a good set. I've got an acoustic baritone guitar, a 12 fret Triple O guitar and my main performing mountain dulcimer, all of them with spruce tops and koa backs and sides. They all sound terrific and work so well - I can accentuate whichever end of the tonal spectrum I want, it's all there, all I have to do is pull it out of the instruments.

whm

Wade Hampton 05-05-2018 11:23 PM

By the way, I've been advised offline by a couple of folks that the correct name of Mr. Moore's ukulele business is "Moore Bettah," not "Moore Better."

With that complete oversight on my part I feel like one of those white guys you see in movies where all the black folks are dancing beautifully and then the white guy gets up and dances like a complete dork.

Well, hey, I'm a natural blond, and I'm not even a white guy - I'm more of a light blue. It takes me about three weeks in the sun to turn white.

23andme told me that I'm just one skin tone darker than an albino. It's sad but true....

So sorry to have missed the nuance, but I did, and I admit to it.

Short version: "Moore Bettah" is the brand name of the ukulele that blew me away, not "Moore Better."

whm

Steve DeRosa 05-06-2018 09:34 AM

Just heard and played the best uke I've ever encountered

At ~$5K it had better sing like Pavarotti's parakeet...

Paraclete 05-07-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Hampton (Post 5721249)
By the way, I've been advised offline by a couple of folks that the correct name of Mr. Moore's ukulele business is "Moore Bettah," not "Moore Better."

With that complete oversight on my part I feel like one of those white guys you see in movies where all the black folks are dancing beautifully and then the white guy gets up and dances like a complete dork.

Well, hey, I'm a natural blond, and I'm not even a white guy - I'm more of a light blue. It takes me about three weeks in the sun to turn white.

23andme told me that I'm just one skin tone darker than an albino. It's sad but true....

So sorry to have missed the nuance, but I did, and I admit to it.

Short version: "Moore Bettah" is the brand name of the ukulele that blew me away, not "Moore Better."

whm

LOL! I didn’t even notice that typo...I saw the uke pics and recognized the build. The name is a play on Chuck’s name, Hawaiian pidgeon Bruddah style.

norseman 05-08-2018 10:32 AM

tuners?

Does he always use friction tuners? My experience with them is poor. I prefer geared tuners on ukes for a variety of reasons including better - more accurate - adjustment. Friction tuners also seem to break easily. Anyone else find the use of friction tuners on such high end instruments surprising?

Wade Hampton 05-08-2018 12:35 PM

They’re not actually friction tuners, Norseman, but highly accurate planetary gears made to LOOK like friction pegs. Their brand name is “Peghed,” if I remember correctly. They’re extremely popular with classical string players these days, and they’re not cheap. But they’re worth every dime, or so the folks I know who use them tell me.

I can tell you that the woman who brought her Moore Bettah uke to my music party was in (and stayed in) better tune than any ukulele player I’ve ever played music with prior to this.

whm

norseman 05-08-2018 12:37 PM

thanks

I appreciate that clarification. Thanks.

Wade Hampton 05-08-2018 12:59 PM

Here's the website for Pegheds:

http://www.pegheds.com/

I first heard about them from a friend of mine who builds both classical guitar and historical instruments like baroque guitar. He swears by them on his baroque and early music instruments.

Their main market is the classical field, but people who play other instruments that traditionally use friction pegs - like mountain dulcimers, old time banjos, flamenco guitars and, yes, ukuleles - are using them in increasing numbers, as well.

But for classical string players in particular, Peghed tuners are a major game-changer right now.

whm

Kalani 05-24-2018 11:39 AM

Norseman, I had to change out my friction tuners on my KoAloha—was surprised they used them on their high-end instrument. This was about 5 years ago so not sure if they are still using them.

lfoo6952 05-24-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Hampton (Post 5723373)
They’re not actually friction tuners, Norseman, but highly accurate planetary gears made to LOOK like friction pegs. Their brand name is “Peghed,” if I remember correctly. They’re extremely popular with classical string players these days, and they’re not cheap. But they’re worth every dime, or so the folks I know who use them tell me.

I can tell you that the woman who brought her Moore Bettah uke to my music party was in (and stayed in) better tune than any ukulele player I’ve ever played music with prior to this.

whm

Yes, not cheap but worth every penny. I recently installed them on my violin. The pegheads cost me about $70 and about $80 for the luthier to install. But I am very happy with them. Tuning is very precise and stable.

merlin666 05-25-2018 08:49 AM

As some of you may know, Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah ukes lives on the Big Island and has been evacuated from his home and workshop which are now inaccessible due to the lava flows. I wish him all the best.

Wade Hampton 05-25-2018 11:50 AM

Oh, dear - I had no idea. I hope he was able to grab the instruments he was building and his tools and tonewood stash before evacuating.

whm

Paraclete 05-26-2018 08:11 AM

I’m not sure he was. He posted a pic of the last uke he finished on Facebook and commented that it might be the last. I’d guess that he had no way of transporting all his vital equipment and years of accumulated tonewood stock.