The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Stephen Kinnaird 2020 (Videos added page 10) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573757)

vanceen 10-10-2020 08:24 AM

I imagine that I hear a difference. They seem to get progressively warmer sounding as they progress from #1 to #3. Matching that impression with received wisdom would be consistent with the two guesses above.

Who knows what psycho acoustic factors go into what I think I'm hearing.They all sound like fine guitars. I think I need to get hold of all three of them and keep them for a long time to finally decide.

Hanter 10-10-2020 08:25 AM

I'd go

1. Maple
2. Rosewood
3. Mahogany

TomB'sox 10-10-2020 09:24 AM

I did the test in the General section and nailed the first one and then failed miserably on the second test. I sent myself to my room and just emerged 36 hours later today still ashamed of myself!

cigarfan 10-10-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6520182)
I did the test in the General section and nailed the first one and then failed miserably on the second test. I sent myself to my room and just emerged 36 hours later today still ashamed of myself!

Well, I am hopeful not to spend that much time in my room! Unless of course it is with my Kinnaird OMs. ;)

Jamiejoon 10-10-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanter (Post 6520135)
I'd go

1. Maple
2. Rosewood
3. Mahogany

That's what I got for the first test also, and for the second one:

Mahogany, Maple, Rosewood.

Hanter 10-10-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanter (Post 6520135)
I'd go

1. Maple
2. Rosewood
3. Mahogany


Second test is so difficult. My final answer is for second is:

1. Mahogany
2. Rosewood
3. Maple

Steve Kinnaird 10-12-2020 07:34 AM

Much appreciation to you who have "taken the test". And thanks to those who have posted their convictions. Condolences to those, too, who have gotten things upside down. For what this might be worth, neither Ryan nor I did 100% on the blind listening test that we imposed on ourselves. Ah well, the human ear--for all its amazing abilities--is not fool-proof.

Another point to report, which I find interesting from a player's perspective, is the difference in "feel". I made these necks as closely as I could (they weighed the same, for instance) and the action is set the same on these guitars. They are all strung with the same strings. But they "feel" different when playing. They elicit different responses from the player, and care had to be taken when playing the tests to approach each guitar with the same attack, same technique, etc.
Some of you who have multiple guitars from multiple builders, from who knows how many different tone woods, are familiar with this experience.
I found it interesting that three similar guitars from the same shop could display this phenomenon. If I was rather heartless, I would ask you to listen to the tests again and guess which one I enjoyed playing more.
Bwaahahahaha!!!!

Steve

iim7V7IM7 10-12-2020 07:40 AM

Steve, I would also posit that different player's would make the same three guitars sound quite different from your demos...:). The good news is that despite their perceived timbral differences, they all sounded like good guitars for a player to make music...:up:

nacluth 10-12-2020 10:07 AM

For those who would like to see the correct order being played for the two videos, here you go:



And,


BradHall 10-12-2020 11:03 AM

I was surprised at how small a difference I heard between all 3. Thought for sure the Maple vs the Rosewood would be miles apart. Couldnít possibly choose which one I like best. Like choosing you favorite child. All sounded wonderful.

nacluth 10-12-2020 08:57 PM

Brad, thanks for such kind words, and thanks again to everyone for taking the time to listen and give feedback.

Steve Kinnaird 10-12-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 (Post 6521625)
Steve, I would also posit that different player's would make the same three guitars sound quite different from your demos...:). The good news is that despite their perceived timbral differences, they all sounded like good guitars for a player to make music...:up:

Thanks, Bob, for that vote of confidence!
But these guitars got me wondering how "fussy" we've become, whether builders, players or collectors? Straining at every last detail, listening to every spike in the frequency line... Which results in better guitars I know. But I bet our forebears would simply ask, can you dance to it? Does it make you tap your toes?

Steve

iim7V7IM7 10-13-2020 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6522370)
Thanks, Bob, for that vote of confidence!
But these guitars got me wondering how "fussy" we've become, whether builders, players or collectors? Straining at every last detail, listening to every spike in the frequency line... Which results in better guitars I know. But I bet our forebears would simply ask, can you dance to it? Does it make you tap your toes?

Steve

In the end, guitars are simply tools that hopefully get out of the way and support us in making music...:).

When we create custom instruments, we tend to focus on the ingredients (and talk about them!), the recipe and method of preparation is the main point of discussion as opposed to whether we enjoyed the meal! Great guitars have been shown time and time again to be made from a variety of materials. While there are audible differences between these three OMs, all of them are capable of sounding beautiful and supporting a musician to express themselves. The thing that we cannot hear via recording technology is the full experience of playing an instrument. I bet each makes the player feel different after playing the same piece on it. I do think players tend to hear a bit with their eyes and bring preconceived ideas about how tonewoods influence how an instrument sounds and your "experiment" illustrated that beautifully.

Steve Kinnaird 10-13-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 (Post 6522620)
In the end, guitars are simply tools that hopefully get out of the way and support us in making music...:).

When we create custom instruments, we tend to focus on the ingredients (and talk about them!), the recipe and method of preparation is the main point of discussion as opposed to whether we enjoyed the meal! Great guitars have been shown time and time again to be made from a variety of materials. While there are audible differences between these three OMs, all of them are capable of sounding beautiful and supporting a musician to express themselves. The thing that we cannot hear via recording technology is the full experience of playing an instrument. I bet each makes the player feel different after playing the same piece on it. I do think players tend to hear a bit with their eyes and bring preconceived ideas about how tonewoods influence how an instrument sounds and your "experiment" illustrated that beautifully.

I couldnae ha' said it better, lad! :up:

j. Kinnaird 10-14-2020 03:46 AM

That was a great project. I know that my hearing ainít what it used to be, and Iíve been told it never was great, but i didnít hear much difference in the overall volume between the three guitars. There did seem to be some difference in the color and sustain.

I would like to hear your description of the differences you heard between the three and whether you had a favorite and a least favorite. (Is that a fair question?)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=