The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archtops (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Best archtop for female solo singer? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553210)

pf400 07-28-2019 10:00 AM

Best archtop for female solo singer?
 
I have a student who sings very well, a crystal clear fairly high-pitched voice, sings and writes pop/jazz/folk type of stuff. Has been playing guitar for years but has serious difficulties with barre chords, and chords that need all four fingers. Any recommendations on a good electric guitar for her? One that has some volume unplugged would be best. Keep in mind that full-sized dreads cause shoulder discomfort for her. She does prefer nut widths of 1 11/16 or 1.75 inches. Thanks.

Steve DeRosa 07-28-2019 10:47 AM

Loads of stuff out there - how much does she want to spend, bearing in mind that she'll need an amp to go with the guitar sooner than later?

mot 07-28-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pf400 (Post 6123714)
I have a student who sings very well, a crystal clear fairly high-pitched voice, sings and writes pop/jazz/folk type of stuff. Has been playing guitar for years but has serious difficulties with barre chords, and chords that need all four fingers. Any recommendations on a good electric guitar for her? One that has some volume unplugged would be best. Keep in mind that full-sized dreads cause shoulder discomfort for her. She does prefer nut widths of 1 11/16 or 1.75 inches. Thanks.

Might want to look at the Emerald guitars if they're within her price range. They have some that feel like electric (and can plug in), but have decent volume on their own.

Bob Womack 07-29-2019 05:16 AM

Female anatomy varies considerably. Anatomy and playing position set the bar for what is comfortable. I'd say she needs a trip to a big-box store that has several examples. Take mom along and have a talk before you get there.

Bob

mot 07-29-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 6124352)
Female anatomy varies considerably. Anatomy and playing position set the bar for what is comfortable. I'd say she needs a trip to a big-box store that has several examples. Take mom along and have a talk before you get there.

Bob

Really‽‽‽‽

mr. beaumont 07-29-2019 10:21 AM

Godin Kingpin ftw.

Steve DeRosa 07-29-2019 07:41 PM

We're on the same wavelength, Jeff :up: - I was thinking the Godin CW II, but wasn't sure she wanted to drop $1K before the cost of a suitable amp...

pf400 07-30-2019 07:59 AM

I'm thinking of exploring a Gretsch, Epiphone or Godin. Or a Taylor T5. I'll offer to accompany her on the shopping trips. We have 8 quality shops here at last count.

Steve DeRosa 07-30-2019 03:47 PM

Speaking as a highly satisfied owner of both, the Godin 5th Avenue electrics (Kingpin/CW II) and Korean-made Gretsch 5400/5600-Series Electromatic hollowbodies/semis will give you the best QC and most bang for your buck (IME the Chinese-made Epiphones - meaning anything produced after 2008 or so - can be iffy, as can the recently-renamed entry-level Indonesian/Chinese Gretsch 2500-Series Streamliners). FWIW for the price of the Taylor T5 alone, she can have guitar/HSC and a nice low-/mid-powered tube amp (recommendations for the latter upon request) - a lifetime combination that she'll never outgrow...

frankmcr 07-30-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 6124352)
Female anatomy varies considerably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot (Post 6124555)
Really‽‽‽‽

Empirical observation does seem to support that postulate.

Pnewsom 08-04-2019 12:54 PM

Ibanez offer a very good selection of good sounding, easy to play arch tops in various sizes, with either floating or top mounted pups. Something in a 16" body around 3" deep is a comfortable fit for almost anybody.

Sonics 08-17-2019 02:51 AM

Ok, I'm biased...
 
...and Ms. Spender seems to be at home with it considering she just picked it straight from the rack.


Steve DeRosa 08-17-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonics (Post 6139723)
...and Ms. Spender seems to be at home with it considering she just picked it straight from the rack.


Given the $3500+ price of admission, the lady's name is quite apropos... :eek:

mrjop1975 08-18-2019 07:20 AM

Have your student check out the Epiphone Olympic Masterbilt. They are the smaller of the 3 and quite comfortable. It would be less then a grand for the guitar, the hard case and an acoustic guitar amp (I use a Fender on mine.)

lkingston 10-20-2019 09:54 PM

Here’s another Gretch girl: the lovely Caroline Jones:

https://youtu.be/UnReHnxChGE


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=