The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tried a Martin D12X1AE... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220389)

Dru Edwards 06-24-2011 04:59 PM

Tried a Martin D12X1AE...

So, I tried a Martin D12x1AE (12 string acoustic/electric). I was stunned. It sounded great. It wasn't as chimy as other 12 strings nor as 'tinny' as other models in that price range ($600). It had some depth to it.

FYI: It has a solid spruce top, HPL b/s, and a stratabond neck.

What's others impressions of this guitar?

35fingerpicker 06-24-2011 07:00 PM

Although I've always been a Martin fan, I never thought I'd buy an HPL Martin until I played a D12x1AE. Pretty amazing guitar for the money. Good tone and the best 12-String neck I've ever played.

Bud

Aural Eloquence 06-24-2011 09:04 PM

Played it at GC some time ago. It was love at first sight right after i strummed a few open chords. I'm not ready for a 12 yet, but when i am....that's the one i'll be buying.

Dru Edwards 06-24-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fingerpicker (Post 2664850)
Although I've always been a Martin fan, I never thought I'd buy an HPL Martin until I played a D12x1AE. Pretty amazing guitar for the money. Good tone and the best 12-String neck I've ever played.

Bud

I hear you Bud. I'm in the market for a 12-string and I'm seriously thinking about this one. My mind was set on an all solid wood in the $1200 range.

35fingerpicker 06-25-2011 04:48 AM

"..My mind was set on an all solid wood in the $1200 range..."

You could get a couple of them for that. ;)

Bud

Dru Edwards 06-25-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fingerpicker (Post 2665068)
"..My mind was set on an all solid wood in the $1200 range..."

You could get a couple of them for that. ;)

Bud

You're right!

Glennwillow 06-25-2011 08:43 AM

Hi Dru,

I have not had the pleasure of trying out this guitar, but I have played some other Martins made from HPL back and sides and I have been surprised at how good they can sound. Not sure why that is, it just is -- at least for my ears and playing style.

- Glenn

Dru Edwards 06-25-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 2665237)
Hi Dru,

I have not had the pleasure of trying out this guitar, but I have played some other Martins made from HPL back and sides and I have been surprised at how good they can sound. Not sure why that is, it just is -- at least for my ears and playing style.

- Glenn

Hey Glenn - for the most part, I haven't enjoyed the HLP Martins. But I'm ignoring the price and the 'bang for the buck' and comparing them to the Standard or Vintage series (which isn't a fair comparison, I know).

I was expecting the guitar to sound ... blah ... because it's an X series with HPL and that ugly stratabond neck. I guess that's why we need to try out so many guitars ... put aside preconceptions and perhaps be surprised. And I'll admit I had my preconceptions, which in this case was incorrect.

I'm not sure if I played a great one or if that's par for the course. It's the only one I've seen around here.

crwheat@sbcglob 07-16-2011 07:58 PM

I played a D12X1AE at GC last weekend. Went back today and bought it. I've owned three other 12 strings in the past, and this one has a better balanced tone and is extremely playable. The action on this thing is great. What a great guitar for less than 6 Franklins.

Dru Edwards 07-17-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwheat@sbcglob (Post 2689755)
I played a D12X1AE at GC last weekend. Went back today and bought it. I've owned three other 12 strings in the past, and this one has a better balanced tone and is extremely playable. The action on this thing is great. What a great guitar for less than 6 Franklins.

Congrats Cwheat. Glad to hear that others have also found this a great guitar. You should start a new "NGD" thread and post some pics!

naolslager 07-17-2011 06:19 AM

Dru,
I've picked up the non-"E" version on several occasions. I'm always impressed. The onces I've played seem to almost play themselves. Very unusual for a 12-string. Enjoy.
dj

Michael T 07-17-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 2664974)
I hear you Bud. I'm in the market for a 12-string and I'm seriously thinking about this one. My mind was set on an all solid wood in the $1200 range.

I knew the specs I wanted on my set up and Jim Holler @ Trinity really was the only one willing to go out of his normal stock names to get me what I wanted, and it was a chore too. He even hand carve a bone saddle & NUT to intonate my 12 strings all the way up and level the strings at the top of the standard course instead of the bottom, got me Colosi pins I wanted, K&K install an on and on. Out of the box and to the tech I know, no improvement in truss or anything, great job. for a low dollar on the labor and no mark up over what I would have had to pay on the after market stuff. He carries several popular brands and has his own line of internationally recognized classical guitars too. Even with all th extra work we were not far out of your budget.

I preferred the Larrivee "L05-12" but didn't like the set up on the wall units I tried, most my instruments are set about the same at the 12th and I gave him those and let him set the spacing.

http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/...s/05/L0512.php

http://www.trinityguitars.com/steelstr/frame.htm

joseriverasound 07-20-2011 06:43 AM

I got one, if you want a 12 strings for the price it is a must.I'd like to try a D12-28 though.:)

Pretty nice amplification system also.

RustyAxe 07-20-2011 09:56 AM

I've only played one once, and was impressed. I own a Guild GAD-G212 that was a little more expensive, and doesn't sound any better.

AtlJohn 07-20-2011 12:44 PM

Loved it

I played one of these yesterday, and was very impressed. To be fair, of all the 12s i've recently demoed, this one had by far the best combination of fresh strings and IN TUNE, which it was...12 for 12. It was really a pleasure to play, i'm sure i spent as much time with it total as all the other rusty-stringed out of tune 12s elsewhere combined.

GAS.